Microsoft Will Now Detail Only "Significant" Windows 10 Updates [Update: Might Be Because of Job Cuts]

LAwLz

post-216-0-66276900-1440189076.jpg

Microsoft released the third cumulative update to Windows 10 last week. But surprisingly, the supporting document associated with the patch - known as KB3081438 - was devoid of any information pertaining to what the update contained, except that "it includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10". This surprised many users of the OS, keeping in mind that Microsoft was forthcoming about the fixes in the previous two cumulative patches. The company has now offered an explanation regarding its policy of change logs regarding Windows 10 patches.

Talking to The Register, a spokesperson from Microsoft clarifies that:

As we have done in the past, we post KB articles relevant to most updates which we’ll deliver with Windows as a service. Depending on the significance of the update and if it is bringing new functionality to Windows customers, we may choose to do additional promotion of new features as we deploy them

With Windows 10 now on more than 53 million devices - which constitutes nearly 5% of the market - misleading rumors have been spreading throughout the globe about how Microsoft is breaching customer privacy, it isn't surprising that Microsoft has decided to be slightly less forthcoming about every single KB patch.
With that being said, this is a double-edged sword, as many users like to be fully aware of all the changes present in the update they're installing.

Source: Neowin

Update:

According to a blog post on Windows IT Pro this is the result of the big layoffs over at Microsoft. The blog specifically talks about cutting jobs for Exchange technical writers but it is very possible that other technical writers have been laid off as well.

The author summarizes it as this:

Eliminating some technical writing jobs is not the point. What’s really upsetting is that subliminal message that Microsoft is no longer interested in providing the very best technical information to its customers. That’s something that all of us should be worried about – unless of course, you really are due to be absorbed by the cloud and can therefore rely on the Kool-Aid. You’ll need it.

Source: Windows IT Pro

So not only will updates be forcefully installed against a users will, now we will no longer know what is actually being installed.

How does this benefit users? In fact, how does this benefit Microsoft? The only reason I can see them doing this is because they don't want the users to know what is being installed, and when you have to keep things secret from your customers then there is something wrong going on.

Maybe they are doing this because people on Windows 7 refused to install the update which added telemetry data. With this they will no longer need to tell users what they are installing, and therefore lower the risk of people not joining the data harvesting network.

95% users don't care anyway

they see time to update

alright hits reboot

gets water comes back.

(thats with fforedd update)

without they didn't even know that updates existed 

yea us techies are pissed but..we are small.

and can't you just google the update name and it says on the ms site?

Yet again another thread complaining about stuff that M$ are doing correct.... This should have been done earlier IMO. The only people that cant have updates as they launch are the people in enterprise environments.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

and can't you just google the update name and it says on the ms site?

No, that's what is being changed. You used to be able to look in Microsoft's support page and find a lot of details about updates.

Here is an example: KB2919355

Lots of detailed info about what the update does and what has been fixed (full list of links to issues, as well as what caused those issues).

The article for KB3081438 just says:

"This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10."

Yet again another thread complaining about stuff that M$ are doing correct.... This should have been done earlier IMO. The only people that cant have updates as they launch are the people in enterprise environments.

How is this the correct way of doing things? They no longer tell users what issues has been fixed.

No, that's what is being changed. You used to be able to look in Microsoft's support page and find a lot of details about updates.

Here is an example: KB2919355

Lots of detailed info about what the update does and what has been fixed (full list of links to issues, as well as what caused those issues).

The article for KB3081438 just says:

"This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10."

How is this the correct way of doing things? They no longer tell users what issues has been fixed.

did you look at the more information part?

i think it lists EVERY FILE that was changed. 

bull.  i want to choose when and if i get my update......3 updates in and ms as already screwed the pooch with a botched update. when i am working the last thing i need is an update coming along costing me work (this has happened)

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

bull.  i want to choose when and if i get my update......3 updates in and ms as already screwed the pooch with a botched update. when i am working the last thing i need is an update coming along costing me work (this has happened)

Yeah, there's a bunch of people on here (the microsoft defense force) who are defending it. Don't even bother arguing with them, let them figure it out the hard way.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

did you look at the more information part?

i think it lists EVERY FILE that was changed. 

Yep, and they do not list any of the changes made or what was fixed.

How can you possibly argue for giving users less information about what issues were fixed on their computers? This is absurd.

What I don't get, is that they already know what's going to be changed and I can't imagine how hard it is to just copy and paste the info.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yep, and they do not list any of the changes made or what was fixed.

How can you possibly argue for giving users less information about what issues were fixed on their computers? This is absurd.

it says which files were changed on what days

... And?

I literally have no idea how you can argue for this. They give users less info about what issues were fixed. They used to say "the issue were XXX happened has now been fixed. It was caused by YYY". Instead they now say "we have fixed some issues.".

Explain to me how I as a users benefits from this change.

Explain to me how Microsoft benefits from this change.

Yes, but it does not state what was changed in those files.  What the changes do.  Why the changes were made.  Does little good to know that file XYZ.dll was changed, if you don't know how it was changed.

... And?

I literally have no idea how you can argue for this. They give users less info about what issues were fixed. They used to say "the issue were XXX happened has now been fixed. It was caused by YYY". Instead they now say "we have fixed some issues.".

Explain to me how I as a users benefits from this change.

Explain to me how Microsoft benefits from this change.

i didn't say it was wrong.

BUt here ins't 0 info on what is happening

its just less and presented different.

I like the old way better,

but your making it seem as if they are saying abosulity nothing.

Yes, but it does not state what was changed in those files.  What the changes do.  Why the changes were made.  Does little good to know that file XYZ.dll was changed, if you don't know how it was changed.

yea true, its better then nothing :)

like i said above i like the old way better

but we can't do shit.

It seems the logic is that since updates are being forced, it's pointless to let users know what the updates contain.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Eh. Unlikely I'll ever go to windows 10 anyways

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Why would the average user need to know this? All they care about is that it keeps working... M$ knows that people like that dont do Windows Updates so fall for vulnerabilities and viruses etc. This is a MUCH better way to do it for the average user. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

but your making it seem as if they are saying abosulity nothing.

"This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10" is pretty much the same as absolutely nothing.

It is as meaningful to users as saying nothing.

yea true, its better then nothing :)

like i said above i like the old way better

but we can't do shit.

Of course we can do something. We can complain and ask them to change it back. You're being incredibly counter productive when you say this is a good move and try to stop people from complaining if you agree that this is worse than what they used to do.

Stop trying to defend Microsoft when they are clearly doing things which are bad.

Why would the average user need to know this? All they care about is that it keeps working... M$ knows that people like that dont do Windows Updates so fall for vulnerabilities and viruses etc. This is a MUCH better way to do it for the average user. 

Explain to me how this is BETTER for the average user.

I can kind of see how it won't have an effect on them, but saying that something is better means that there are benefits to doing it this way over the other.

but we can't do shit.

Blind defeatism is stupid at the best of times, let alone when talking about a brand new product from a company that is desperately trying to increase users of, and is trying to gather as much feedback for as possible.

Because if you see it is patching a problem with your start menu, for example, that you never experienced but is itself causing other unexpected issues you know that you can revert and not install just that one update next time (or you could if they allowed that) rather than avoiding all updates and security patches just to keep your system running smoothly. If, however, all you know is that you got a bunch of updates for "improving usability of Windows 10" then you're a bit screwed when you're trying to troubleshoot that.

Blind defeatism is stupid at the best of times, let alone when talking about a brand new product from a company that is desperately trying to increase users of, and is trying to gather as much feedback for as possible.

I hate this too

BUT it was FREE*

and it was probbly in the EULA

I hate this too

BUT it was FREE*

and it was probbly in the EULA

Firstly it's not free, it costs £100. Secondly Microsoft are making a point of testing the water and seeing what sticks. They are desperate for Windows 7 not to become another XP. Your attitude is completely baffling.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what's in the EULA. If it's unpopular they'll write a new one.

Firstly it's not free, it costs £100. Secondly Microsoft are making a point of testing the water and seeing what sticks. They are desperate for Windows 7 not to become another XP. Your attitude is completely baffling.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what's in the EULA. If it's unpopular they'll write a new one.

it was free for about 50Million people

Yeah many defended Windows 10 automatic updates before, I can't foresee anybody claiming Windows 10 is not basically just fucking Malware since you really can't know: can't look at the code, can't look at what's being patched into it. You really cannot tell me Microsoft it's not just logging all data all the time now.

Now I really wish AMD and Nvidia would get off their fucking asses and release proper Linux drivers, more than ever.

-------

Current Rig

-------

it was free for about 50Million people

How the fuck do you get out of bed every morning when you are this pessimistic about being listened to by a company that is literally BEGGING you for feedback?

Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge...

How the fuck do you get out of bed every morning when you are this pessimistic about being listened to by a company that is literally BEGGING you for feedback?

i ignore the feedback stuff