Microsoft Will Now Detail Only "Significant" Windows 10 Updates [Update: Might Be Because of Job Cuts]

LAwLz

yea true, its better then nothing :)

like i said above i like the old way better

but we can't do shit.

We can try getting a Linux distro with proper support.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You're missing the point which is that there is a point in complaining about stuff you don't like.

Eh, debatable.  There is no point complaining if you know they won't change it.  The changes we want don't make the company money, so they are unlikely to happen.  And the masses don't care enough to fight it, so our opinion is pretty much worthless to MS.

Firstly it's not free, it costs £100. Secondly Microsoft are making a point of testing the water and seeing what sticks. They are desperate for Windows 7 not to become another XP. Your attitude is completely baffling.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what's in the EULA. If it's unpopular they'll write a new one.

They can remain desperate, its got a shitload better start menu, its actually got its settings laid out in a logical manner, with the correct drivers you can span displays (If my Geforce 6200 can so should a GTX 970), and most of the 'new' features (ie ones that were already in use inside Linux and OSX) can be simply added to it.

PMSL

Eh, debatable.  There is no point complaining if you know they won't change it.  The changes we want don't make the company money, so they are unlikely to happen.  And the masses don't care enough to fight it, so our opinion is pretty much worthless to MS.

They added blur to the start menu because people complained. How much money do you think that brought in?

The article for KB3081438 just says:

"This update includes improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10."

They no longer tell users what issues has been fixed.

... And?

I literally have no idea how you can argue for this. They give users less info about what issues were fixed. They used to say "the issue were XXX happened has now been fixed. It was caused by YYY". Instead they now say "we have fixed some issues.".

Explain to me how I as a users benefits from this change.

Explain to me how Microsoft benefits from this change.

For starters, did you even look at the scrollbar? It's a cumulative update anyway, and I doubt anyone would even be interested in reading paragraphs of changes for each system file (Which nobody at MS is going to write, trust me).

u8y7RCJ.png

By the way, there's this thing called Windows Update, it tells you what the update generally does anyway, most of the time

Eo1c2Y9.png

None of this 'microsoft being secretive' stuff worries me at all, seeing as 1 in 10 of the updates actually successfully install on my machine

AbBIhVp.png

I'm looking into doing a partial transition to Elementary Linux. I already have all the headless machines in my house running a flavour of it.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

They added blur to the start menu because people complained. How much money do you think that brought in?

More like prevented loss.  My argument isn't that MS won't make changes if enough people want them, but rather that the changes we (techies) want would actively lose them money.  And these things we want changed, are things the masses don't care about.  So MS has the option of basically telling the techies to shut up and deal with it, or lose money.  And it isn't like we are going to use a different OS, I still want to play games so I am stuck on windows.  And the enterprise world is getting what they want, cause money. 

Yeah many defended Windows 10 automatic updates before, I can't foresee anybody claiming Windows 10 is not basically just fucking Malware since you really can't know: can't look at the code, can't look at what's being patched into it. You really cannot tell me Microsoft it's not just logging all data all the time now.

Now I really wish AMD and Nvidia would get off their fucking asses and release proper Linux drivers, more than ever.

It's not like MS were truthful about it before.  KB2952664 was an important update labeled as a "compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7", with the following explanation :

"This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

What it actually did was enable a daily telemetry run that collects program telemetry information if opted in to the Customer Exprience Improvement Program.

Not only was that not mentioned anywhere in the update description, it also isn't true because it still does the telemetry run even if you are opted out of the CEIP

Effing malware indeed.

I like playing GTA5, I love Assetto Corsa.  However with all the crap they're quietly injecting into the older Windows versions too, I'm seriously considering moving from dualboot to Linux only.  Those 2 games just aren't worth messing with Windows anymore.  Every currently supported version is full of malware.

More like prevented loss.  My argument isn't that MS won't make changes if enough people want them, but rather that the changes we (techies) want would actively lose them money.  And these things we want changed, are things the masses don't care about.  So MS has the option of basically telling the techies to shut up and deal with it, or lose money.  And it isn't like we are going to use a different OS, I still want to play games so I am stuck on windows.  And the enterprise world is getting what they want, cause money. 

Microsoft ran a year-long insider programme with a dedicated app for people to make suggestions for what to add into Windows 10. What you see now is a result of community collaboration (except all the telemetry collection/spying etc). Even the original Windows 10 icons were changed due to the community raging about them. The app still exists if you want to check it out. It also tells you when a Microsoft Representative has read your feedback.

NOTE: The app might not work for you if you are not in the Insider Programme (Which I don't think anyone is able to join at the moment)

How much money do you think Microsoft is making for an OS they are giving out for free? Forget the advertisements on Solitaire that NOBODY CAN EVEN SEE, I didn't even notice them until some news report on the forum pointed out that they were there - if anything this version of windows imo is just a community driven fix of Windows 8.1

QPTV11n.png

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The fact that some people love black boxes is beyond my comprehension

Two revolutionary dance tones

I can't wait for a black screen update incident ala Windows 7.

That would soon put a stop to ridiculous things like this.

...but why, though? That's useful information to have. I doubt that anyone but techies didn't care about it, but still.

@LAwLz this appears to be a result of Microsoft laying off a portion of their technical writers. So I doubt its malicious, but still disappointing. I work in tech support myself so well written documentation is hugely important to people like me. When I'm trying to do my job as tech support but the technical documentation of the product is lacking that just makes my job all the more difficult. (I like documentation enough that I've considered getting into technical writing as a job.)

Granted, end users don't really need technical documentation its more of a problem for administrators, but many people just like to know what's being fixed.

Source: http://windowsitpro.com/blog/microsoft-layoffs-impact-exchange-technical-writers-where-now-documentation

Edit: the article is specifically about Exchange writers but users in the comments say many writers from the Operating Systems Group were laid off as well and this thread supports that.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

@LAwLz this appears to be a result of Microsoft laying off a portion of their technical writers. So I doubt its malicious, but still disappointing. I work in tech support myself so well written documentation is hugely important to people like me. When I'm trying to do my job as tech support but the technical documentation of the product is lacking that just makes my job all the more difficult. (I like documentation enough that I've considered getting into technical writing as a job.)

Granted, end users don't really need technical documentation its more of a problem for administrators, but many people just like to know what's being fixed.

Source: http://windowsitpro.com/blog/microsoft-layoffs-impact-exchange-technical-writers-where-now-documentation

Thanks for the info. I'll add it to the OP.

How much money do you think Microsoft is making for an OS they are giving out for free?

Actually we don't know and can't know: they could be selling some of the telemetry data (or worst, just random browsing habits and such) to telemarketers and you wouldn't know and they wouldn't be obligated to tell you so maybe quite a bit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's not like MS were truthful about it before.  KB2952664 was an important update labeled as a "compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7", with the following explanation :

"This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

What it actually did was enable a daily telemetry run that collects program telemetry information if opted in to the Customer Exprience Improvement Program.

Not only was that not mentioned anywhere in the update description, it also isn't true because it still does the telemetry run even if you are opted out of the CEIP

Effing malware indeed.

I like playing GTA5, I love Assetto Corsa.  However with all the crap they're quietly injecting into the older Windows versions too, I'm seriously considering moving from dualboot to Linux only.  Those 2 games just aren't worth messing with Windows anymore.  Every currently supported version is full of malware.

Actually I'd be sort of ok with visualization advancing more: if you had even a little bit more performance out 3d apps on visualization, you could just run a contained windows version from inside Linux that doesn't gets real internet access and it's just there for games. That way at least you wouldn't be running windows 10 constantly and you could do something to block microsoft home calling every so often by doing that from Linux.

Lot's of work and such but I might be willing to try something like that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Im not saying they are installing/changing stuff and dont want us to know because i dont know what they are doing, but really this removes even more transparency along with the auto update and new draconian privacy policy.

The privacy policy gives them way way too much freedom, with auto updates and no change notes this doesnt look good for the future.The road they have taken could end up pretty badly for desktop users and windows OS.

Only time will tell if they are doing something wrong in the background with all the spyware and updates and new policy.I hope they at least fix and polish 10 and add new features cause win10 its not that great yet, alot to fix/improve.

I wish they would just make it open source or something or more modable at least like android.

Actually we don't know and can't know: they could be selling some of the telemetry data (or worst, just random browsing habits and such) to telemarketers and you wouldn't know and they wouldn't be obligated to tell you so maybe quite a bit.

I'd love to know how knowing that a user uses taskbar shortcuts instead of going through the start menu is beneficial to telemarketers.

Also, they aren't giving Windows 10 away for free in the way people keep talking about.

UPGRADES from Windows 7 and 8.1 are free for a window of one year.

Windows 10 cost about $120 to $190. Also Windows 10 costs money no matter what if you are a business.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Im not saying they are installing/changing stuff and dont want us to know because i dont know what they are doing, but really this removes even more transparency along with the auto update and new draconian privacy policy.

The privacy policy gives them way way too much freedom, with auto updates and no change notes this doesnt look good for the future.The road they have taken could end up pretty badly for desktop users and windows OS.

Only time will tell if they are doing something wrong in the background with all the spyware and updates and new policy.I hope they at least fix and polish 10 and add new features cause win10 its not that great yet, alot to fix/improve.

I wish they would just make it open source or something or more modable at least like android.

The problem with this is that even if a company was putting something malicious in an update, why the fuck would they document it regardless?

Microsoft, Google, Apple could be putting malicious code in updates for years, just because they detailed updates more closely before doesn't mean they would document a malicious update? They can put anything in the change log regardless.

I'd love to know how knowing that a user uses taskbar shortcuts instead of going through the start menu is beneficial to telemarketers.

Also, they aren't giving Windows 10 away for free in the way people keep talking about.

UPGRADES from Windows 7 and 8.1 are free for a window of one year.

Windows 10 cost about $120 to $190. Also Windows 10 costs money no matter what if you are a business.

cortana keystrokes sent to bing, live tiles on the start menu, and they even know your favourite colour as well as PC settings if you've logged into the cloud-syncy-internet-microsoft-account-thing

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

cortana keystrokes sent to bing, live tiles on the start menu, and they even know your favourite colour as well as PC settings if you've logged into the cloud-syncy-internet-microsoft-account-thing

And? Google scans every word of your emails for advertising. Google knows everything you type into their search. Google knows every place you go in real life 24/7 if you have an Android phone. Literally every single thing you touch/click/view/download on an Android phone Google knows about it. Google knows where you work and where you live even if you've never told them, just based off of GPS coordinates and where you stay at certain hours of the day and for how long.

And? Google scans every word of your emails for advertising. Google knows everything you type into their search. Google knows every place you go in real life 24/7 if you have an Android phone. Literally every single thing you touch/click/view/download on an Android phone Google knows about it. Google knows where you work and where you live even if you've never told them, just based off of GPS coordinates and where you stay at certain hours of the day and for how long.

I'm fully aware of that. At least it's not facebook, whom never actually delete your things from their website and constantly void users' privacy to increase ad revenue income. Google may know where you are and what you search for, but Facebook knows what you do and when you do it. Even worse, people put their LIFE on there. Their messenger app automatically sends your location out by default to other contacts, whether friends or stranger, unless you explicitly turn it off.

If any company got information gathered by these three sources, and link that data back to you (g#d forbid you ever use the same email for everything!) your life is essentially in the hands of an unknown big brother.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

I'm fully aware of that. At least it's not facebook, whom never actually delete your things from their website and constantly void users' privacy to increase ad revenue income. Google may know where you are and what you search for, but Facebook knows what you do and when you do it. Even worse, people put their LIFE on there. Their messenger app automatically sends your location out by default to other contacts, whether friends or stranger, unless you explicitly turn it off.

If any company got information gathered by these three sources, and link that data back to you (g#d forbid you ever use the same email for everything!) your life is essentially in the hands of an unknown big brother.

Might as well point out that Google also doesn't actually delete your things either; they retain every single email sent with Gmail, even if you delete them.

I'd like a Linux distro with a decent UI to begin with..

I think there are a lot of decent UI, the problem is trying to choose your favourite. I'm stuck between the older Gnome and KDE.

PMSL