Microsoft Will Now Detail Only "Significant" Windows 10 Updates [Update: Might Be Because of Job Cuts]

LAwLz

I think there are a lot of decent UI, the problem is trying to choose your favourite. I'm stuck between the older Gnome and KDE.

I haven't found one I actually like so far :(

Dont buy the lies. The is because they dont want you to know all the data harvesting "improvements" the patches are providing. Microsoft knows what we need better than we do. Shhh and drink the kool aid.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Why would the average user need to know this? All they care about is that it keeps working... M$ knows that people like that dont do Windows Updates so fall for vulnerabilities and viruses etc. This is a MUCH better way to do it for the average user. 

Every time you fall ill and visit your doctor. He just gives you some pills without explaining what illness you have and what medicine he prescribes. Just take whatever he gives you. You don't need to know. Yeah. 

In Microsoft we thrust. Hail the all mighty Microsoft. 

Re: to the update: Really? Technical writers is something you can easily and cheaply outsource for next to no money, hell I could do it no problem MS give me a call I can even get you a team of people ready to write down this stuff for updates

-------

Current Rig

-------

95% users don't care anyway

they see time to update

alright hits reboot

gets water comes back.

(thats with fforedd update)

without they didn't even know that updates existed 

yea us techies are pissed but..we are small.

and can't you just google the update name and it says on the ms site?

especially since updates are forced now -_-

bull.  i want to choose when and if i get my update......3 updates in and ms as already screwed the pooch with a botched update. when i am working the last thing i need is an update coming along costing me work (this has happened)

[asshat]If you're working on your computer, you should have windows 10 pro [/asshat]

Blind defeatism is stupid at the best of times, let alone when talking about a brand new product from a company that is desperately trying to increase users of, and is trying to gather as much feedback for as possible.

Yes, Microsoft is desperate to get more users, I mean they only have 95% of  PC market shares, gawd what a bunch of hobos.

it was free for about 50Million people

It's free for way more people then that. If they dont want it that's their right. I have 2 buddies waiting to upgrade so that they dont have to deal with the NEW OS bullshit that happens after a release.

I can't foresee anybody claiming Windows 10 is not basically just fucking Malware since you really can't know: can't look at the code, can't look at what's being patched into it. You really cannot tell me Microsoft it's not just logging all data all the time now.

I think most people would notice that half their HDD gets filed up in a week from constant data collection.

And? Google scans every word of your emails for advertising. Google knows everything you type into their search. Google knows every place you go in real life 24/7 if you have an Android phone. Literally every single thing you touch/click/view/download on an Android phone Google knows about it. Google knows where you work and where you live even if you've never told them, just based off of GPS coordinates and where you stay at certain hours of the day and for how long.

Fuck, Google can probably recognize you without you being logged into an account based on your online behavior and general location...

Re: to the update: Really? Technical writers is something you can easily and cheaply outsource for next to no money, hell I could do it no problem MS give me a call I can even get you a team of people ready to write down this stuff for updates

The fact that you think technical writing is that easy shows you really don't understand technical writing. It requires an understanding of the software almost on par with the developers themselves. You can't write about things you don't understand. And knowing how to use the software doesn't constitute understanding it.

There's a lot more to technical writing than "Update X fixes Y bug." Anybody can do that.

You're also creating documentation both internal and external and/or writing books. Good documentation, yes, is an actual skill. Trust me, I do work for Avaya and our support engineers (in relation to service requests, not product documentation) write their own documentation in the KB and the overwhelming majority of it is awful, from formatting to spelling and grammar to inclusion of all relevant details and to the actual clarity of the text.

In Canada the average salary for a technical writer is $54,380, the average salary for a senior technical writer is $69,683 and maxing out at $88,864. You don't get paid that much for a job that is easy to do. http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Senior_Technical_Writer/Salary

Anyone who works in IT can tell you how critically important good documentation is and how awful most people are at it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Its probably so they don't have to pay people to do it and simultaneously put malicious code in undocumented

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Its probably so they don't have to pay people to do it and simultaneously put malicious code in undocumented

I agree. It's highly suspicious that Google keeps making more and more parts of the Android experience closed-source. What are they trying to hide from the public that they are turning everything closed source?

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The fact that you think technical writing is that easy shows you really don't understand technical writing. It requires an understanding of the software almost on par with the developers themselves. You can't write about things you don't understand. And knowing how to use the software doesn't constitute understanding it.

There's a lot more to technical writing than "Update X fixes Y bug." Anybody can do that.

You're also creating documentation both internal and external and/or writing books. Good documentation, yes, is an actual skill. Trust me, I do work for Avaya and our support engineers (in relation to service requests, not product documentation) write their own documentation in the KB and the overwhelming majority of it is awful, from formatting to spelling and grammar to inclusion of all relevant details and to the actual clarity of the text.

In Canada the average salary for a technical writer is $54,380, the average salary for a senior technical writer is $69,683 and maxing out at $88,864. You don't get paid that much for a job that is easy to do. http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Senior_Technical_Writer/Salary

Anyone who works in IT can tell you how critically important good documentation is and how awful most people are at it.

I agree with this.

I recently developed a telemetry system for my college's electric car which will be running from a Raspberry Pi, and I wrote all the documentation myself. Why? Even though it's easy to understand (turn on, connect to its WiFi, open your browser) there us a chance that something may go wrong and they'd want to trace the problem and fix that. If any user that knows code somehow needed to troubleshoot the system, I threw a web IDE in there so they can change system code on-the-fly if needed.

If someone else wrote the documentation, and wasn't somewhat involved in the development, they'd have to spend a while figuring out how the system works, what various parts of it actually do, then go about writing up documentation for it, which in the end wouldn't be worth doing since some key things and important details would almost certainly be missed. If the person writing the documentation didn't understand code, they'd probably be throwing the wrong terminology into various places, which would in the end just make it harder for an experienced user to troubleshoot the system.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

And? Google scans every word of your emails for advertising. Google knows everything you type into their search...

I hate this "argument".

Just because someone else does something, doesn't mean everyone should do it and without any backlash.

Bringing up "Google does it too!" is just a red herring.

I think most people would notice that half their HDD gets filed up in a week from constant data collection.

You are greatly overestimating how much space logs take up. A 250 page novel takes up a mere 1MB of data. Most people wouldn't notice 1MB leaving their computer a day, but that would end up being the same as 7500 thousand book pages worth of data every month.

Text is very, very small. The example above is without compression by the way, and text is very compressible on top of that.

You are greatly overestimating how much space logs take up. A 250 page novel takes up a mere 1MB of data. Most people wouldn't notice 1MB leaving their computer a day, but that would end up being the same as 7500 thousand book pages worth of data every month.

Text is very, very small. The example above is without compression by the way, and text is very compressible on top of that.

For me it's not the size of the file that is a concern. It's the fact that i have a laptop, and that Microsoft is always writing to these log files (According to task manager & resource manager almost always showing disk usage on some sort of logfile), and the fact that Microsoft seems to like waking up my computer intermittently to install updates, just worries me. I've complained to them about this - for example the laptop could be put away in storage, without any form of efficient airflow - or the computer could be in a carry case etc when woken up. Not to mention that the risk of your hard drive head crashing goes up by several orders of magnitude if you're in a moving vehicle when MS wakes up your laptop. In my case, it's been waking itself up at 8AM according to the event logs, without even giving me prior notification. If this was not the summer holidays, during that time I would be commuting to college - and it wouldn't be a pleasant sight to get there and realise my laptop BSOD'd in my bag.

However, since the complaint to Microsoft via their feedback app, the logging on my system appears to have ceased. They also sent me back a quiz via the app asking whether I'd recommend Windows 10 when I reported the issue.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

[asshat]If you're working on your computer, you should have windows 10 pro [/asshat]

i run pro, i have derfured updates.....still botched.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The fact that you think technical writing is that easy shows you really don't understand technical writing. 

No the fact that you think I wouldn't be prepared enough or that I don't know many people that work in IT professionally for a living but still are way underpaid compared to the US salaries is what you didn't understand, and it's quite frankly a little bit insulting so consider the rest of your comment ignored.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I hate this "argument".

Just because someone else does something, doesn't mean everyone should do it and without any backlash.

Its not a justification of what a company is doing, its pointing out the hypocrisy of people. If you want to claim that MS is wrong for doing something, but give another company doing the same things a free pass then you don't actually care about the issue, you're just a fanboy. (Not saying you specifically.)

Its not a justification of what a company is doing, its pointing out the hypocrisy of people. If you want to claim that MS is wrong for doing something, but give another company doing the same things a free pass then you don't actually care about the issue, you're just a fanboy. (Not saying you specifically.)

I don't think I have seen anyone on this forum say that they are okay with Google collecting data on them while at the same time being upset Microsoft collects data. I have however seen people who has defending Microsoft's data collection practices while at the same time being outraged that Lenovo collects data. So there is some hypocrisy on the forum, but I don't think it's the "anti-Microsoft" side that's the hypocrites.

Anyway, the person you responded to did not defend Google. You were the one who brought up Google. So in this case I don't think it was you just pointing out hypocrisy.

The person you responded to just said that Cortana sends what you write to the Bing server, and your response was "Google does it too! Look at Google and how much they do!".

It was a red herring.

And before you respond with "but he uses Google", you can use something and like some aspects of something, while disliking other aspects. Case in point: Me using Windows 10.

I hate all the bullshit spying and some of the changes they have made compared to Windows 7, but I like other things about it enough to outweigh the drawbacks. So I use it.

The same can be said about me using Google and Android. I hate lots of things about it, but the benefits outweighs the drawbacks so I will continue to use it.

I will complain when I get the chance (and my complains are relevant) because I want products and services to improve. Removing the privacy intrusive "features" from Windows and Google does would certainly improve the products in my eyes, making them even better than they already are.

I hate this "argument".

I wasnt talking about only text logs. If you want to go full tinfoil hat, you gotta assume they're recording videos and listening to everything you say too.

Well, I'd really appreciate it to know what is fixed and changed before I install that shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280