AMD FX 8370 vs Intel I7 5960x [GTX 970 SLI 4K benchmarks]

His testing methodology doesn't even prove that much. All he needed to do to show that was to run the game at 800x600 and prove that these CPUs could push out at least 60 fps completely isolated from GPU bottlenecks.

If he had done this and come to the conclusion that the 8320 averaged 80 fps while the 5960X averaged 160 this would have been evidence that only people who are using high refresh rate panels need care and for everyone else the 8320 would have been fine. (However if he had found that the 8320 dropped below 60 fps at all then he would have proven the opposite -- that AMD truly aren't worth looking at until they release a new product).

He didn't do this. He manufactured a situation in which both CPUs were heavily restrained by GPUs. All this proves is that if you are using 970s in SLI for 4K they will limit you before either of these CPUs, which is a very specific message to take away from this, and not altogether informative.

The article doesn't just show SLI 970s in 4K though. It goes all the way down to 1080p, where while the 5960X (obviously) starts to perform better in some situations, the 8370 still isn't that far behind, despite price disparities.

Look, the article is by no means perfect and I'm sure it unfortunately didn't help things when AMD shared it but as I was saying before, constructive criticism.. he'll improve in the future. We all know the writer doesn't have all the resources of other benchmarkers, as he's posted previously. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Did I call anyone out by name? Nope. Did I quote anyone? Nope. But I do think its funny that you think Im talking about you.

I was the only one talking to the author, you knew what you were doing with that comment. Don't get coy. The rest of your comment is adhominem/strawman ranting of a man who has never learned to deal with opposing opinions.

Some of you guys are becoming so toxic. Instead of saying "oh I think this test is flawed, you're using gpu limited games in a cpu comparison", you guys are pretty much saying "this Is a bs test, AMD paid you off, you are a fanboy, you've tainted the tests"... Ridiculous, use constructive criticism ffs.

Oh look, a strawman. Can't come up with a counterargument, so you just reduce ours to something you can easily attack? And you're projecting if you think reducing people's well-thought arguments to be fanboy rambling is anything but toxic commentry.

And actually, his article makes the 5960X look worse than the 8370. Which is the problem to begin with. 

But I think you two have proven that talking about AMD or Intel's function as gaming CPU's might aswell be Muslim vs. Christianity. Because for some of you, it's become a religion. And talking bad of either side is just blasphemy and causes you people to go into full dissonance. Afterwhich youj start defending it with religious zeal and pulling every cheap trick you can find to undermine someone else's argument. 

I was the only one talking to the author, you knew what you were doing with that comment. Don't get coy. 

Oh look, a strawman. How cute. Can't come up with a counterargument, so you just reduce ours to something you can easily attack? 
What brilliance. 

Why are you being so aggressive to everyone? 

It is true that some of the comments are pretty... er... not so good... Just take a look at the first page

"that screams bullshit to me."

"holy fuck this reeks of fucking horse shit"

"Fake benchmarks are 10/10."

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Why are you being so aggressive to everyone? 

I'm not, just really wished people would stop using strawman/adhominem type arguments/fallacies to undermine the argument of others. It's what all discussions, given enough time, end up with. 

Pundits on both sides flinging shit, never talking it out and never resolving anything because they're too stubborn to change their pre-existing rationale/prejudice.

I'm not, just really wished people would stop using strawman/adhominem type arguments/fallacies to undermine the argument of others. It's what all discussions, given enough time, end up with. 

Pundits on both sides flinging shit, never talking it out and never resolving anything. It's just so unintelligent..

That wasn't strawmaning, Kobz360 simply made an observation. His/her post even starts with "Some of you guys....." 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That wasn't strawmaning, Kobz360 simply made an observation. His/her post even starts with "Some of you guys....." 

It was a misrepresentation of what was being said, and therefor making it easier to attack. 

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

But not to derail any further, I would like to know the authors response to my last comments and that of patrick. Because this benchmark still feels incredibly disingenuous and will only spark new debate on the system design threads on the basis of bogus data, shoddy math and poor statistics. Written by a man with his own agenda/narrative.

It was a misrepresentation of what was being said, and therefor making it easier to attack. 

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

What? 

"that screams bullshit to me."

"holy fuck this reeks of fucking horse shit"

"Fake benchmarks are 10/10."

Have you not seen these comments?? Those were the "some"....

Have you not seen these comments?? Those were the "some"....

Generalising everyone in the thread is just as bad. It serves no purpose and is just toxic as hell. It will only generate decreasingly poor reactions, until the shitflinging gets shut down by a mod. And we achieve status quo again.

The fact they use simplistic, vulgar language does not detract from the message. If he doesn't feel like responding to those, but rather zoom in to the people being more precise and versed with their critcism that's fine and I understand that. But the shitflnging aimed at the author is not unwarranted. Making the 5960X look worse than the 8370 and publishing it, admitting afterwards you had a narrative to show everyone, is pretty apalling. Also understand that in the latest year, media in the tech business hasn't had the best of reputation about being upfront and honest about everything and were more concerned with their personal narratives (GG). This all plays a role in the reactions you get.

But please, /offtopic. I want a reaction, not this post to get shut down.

Generalising everyone in the thread is just as bad. It serves no purpose and is just toxic as hell. It will only generate decreasingly poor reactions, until the shitflinging gets shut down by a mod. And we achieve status quo again.

The fact they use simplistic, vulgar language does not detract from the message. If he doesn't feel like responding to those, but rather zoom in to the people being more precise and versed with their critcism that's fine and I understand that. But the shitflnging aimed at the author is not unwarranted. Making the 5960X look worse than the 8370 and publishing it, admitting afterwards you had a narrative to show everyone, is pretty apalling. Also understand that in the latest year, media in the tech business hasn't had the best of reputation about being upfront and honest about everything and were more concerned with their personal narratives (GG). This all plays a role in the reactions you get.

It doesn't make sense that you think Kobz is generalizing everyone against the article and the author, as toxic. The word "Some" should tell you he/she didn't mean everyone...

I appreciate the mature and thoughtful criticism and I take no personal offense to what you or anyone else has said here. I also understand that it can be irritating to see AMD use this report to advertise their processors. I really can honestly say that I had no connection with that as I never asked them to post the article nor did I even share it with them.

My original intention with the article was to showcase that not only is AMD a decent alternative for gaming, but that you don't need an expensive CPU to game with and still play modern and demanding titles or your favorite eSports titles. I've seen a lot of people claim that you needed an Intel CPU to play CS:GO competitively and I always found these types of claims to be without merit so I decided to put my money where my mouth is and actually do the tests. I suppose there are some areas I could have improved my testing methods in and i the future will consider all that others have suggested but I write these reports out of love for technology and PC gaming, I do not hold any loyalties to one company or another -- not implying you suggested that just stating it for the record -- and my aim is always to help out the little guy. 

With all that said, it is time I get some sleep.

Well I always love it when the creator responds with their side of things it is always easy to criticise and unfortunately very easy to over critique. But what is hard is knowing just how to present information and what kind of content to produce. And once it is out there it is out there and you cannot control it - I suppose that is the evil of the internet. So I can't blame you and never was trying to, you weren't implying that but anyways. 

I will agree that too many people have been shaming the AMD 8 core CPU's. I have seen it all on here and it drives me somewhat crazy but unfortunately I can't make an entire argument for the FX-8xxx over the i5 unless money is tight. I can appreciate what you were trying to do I just wish you had added a more similar priced Intel CPU. 

I look forward to seeing farther articles from you, and hopefully you take some of the input from the reasonable people that have replied to the thread and apply it to your future works. 

And to the forum, it is sad to see some of the posts on here as they aren't all that respectful, and the unfortunate outcome is threads being locked. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

And to the forum, it is sad to see some of the posts on here as they aren't all that respectful, and the unfortunate outcome is threads being locked. 

Unfortunately that seems to be the MO around here.  I have read through this thread now,  Not all pages just every second.  Can't say I am impressed with any off it.  There is no call for shit stirring and insults, but by the same token there is no call for half arsed articles either.  Trolls and fanboys feed of this and make the forums a mess.  You know how hard it is to find honest user reviews of products online as it is without extending those troubles to hardware benchmarks.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Unfortunately that seems to be the MO around here.  I have read through this thread now,  Not all pages just every second.  Can't say I am impressed with any off it.  There is no call for shit stirring and insults, but by the same token there is no call for half arsed articles either.  Trolls and fanboys feed of this and make the forums a mess.  You know how hard it is to find honest user reviews of products online as it is without extending those troubles to hardware benchmarks.

Would entirely agree, I tried in my best words to respond to thread and I would like to see others do just that but obviously that will never happen and it also why topics such as this will remain trouble some. 

And the problems aren't necessarily due to the ago of the forum either. I frequent a boating forum where I would think the average age is at least 3X the age of average on here and yet there are still topics end up over engaging many users. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I was the only one talking to the author, you knew what you were doing with that comment. Don't get coy. The rest of your comment is adhominem/strawman ranting of a man who has never learned to deal with opposing opinions.

Oh look, a strawman. Can't come up with a counterargument, so you just reduce ours to something you can easily attack? And you're projecting if you think reducing people's well-thought arguments to be fanboy rambling is anything but toxic commentry.

And actually, his article makes the 5960X look worse than the 8370. Which is the problem to begin with. 

But I think you two have proven that talking about AMD or Intel's function as gaming CPU's might aswell be Muslim vs. Christianity. Because for some of you, it's become a religion. And talking bad of either side is just blasphemy and causes you people to go into full dissonance. Afterwhich youj start defending it with religious zeal and pulling every cheap trick you can find to undermine someone else's argument. 

I wasn't generalising 'everyone' in the thread at all, I specifically said 'some'. I presented my thoughts, which essentially reflects what most of you are saying, just in a more proper, useful way. I even specified that 5960X is stronger, and obviously stretches its legs more in CPU bound situations (as we all know). My issue was just the way some of you choose to criticise in a very destructive and not constructive manner. 

By some saying "holy fuck this reeks of fucking horse shit", nothing is being done but stirring the pot, encouraging massive, unnecessary flame threads and just creating a bad situation as a whole. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Um, they're 8 cores, but 2 cores per module.  They are 8 "true cores"  since there are 8 physical cores inside the processor.  You still get to use all 8 physical cores.  Just because they are smaller doesn't mean they aren't cores.

Learn a bit more about CMT, it takes a standard CPU core, then adds a second ALU. No AMD CPU based on CMT has the advertised core count.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well, AMD said they put 2 small cores into each module.  So, I guess AMD lied, again.

Which is what pisses me off the most-AMD has fallen a long way. I'm on my tablet so I can't show the images, but look up a Phenom II x4 die shot, then look up the FX 8350's die shot. Its all there in plain sight.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why the hell are they comparing a $200 CPU to a $1000 CPU?

Why the hell are they comparing a $200 CPU to a $1000 CPU?

I think it's all a conspiracy to try and create Internet forum shitstorms such as this one, full of people accusing each other of being fanboys and whatnot.

post-237505-0-76344300-1439632943.jpg

post-237505-0-76344300-1439632943.jpg

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Would entirely agree, I tried in my best words to respond to thread and I would like to see others do just that but obviously that will never happen and it also why topics such as this will remain trouble some. 

And the problems aren't necessarily due to the ago of the forum either. I frequent a boating forum where I would think the average age is at least 3X the age of average on here and yet there are still topics end up over engaging many users. 

Let me guess, topics that hinge on a social constructs.  Debates between what is the law and what shouldn't be the law, topics that centre around personal rights versus personal freedoms and of course the good old religious/political discussions?    And occasionally brand loyalty on products that are crucial like radios, EPIRB's and Flares?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Pretty much this entire thread is cringe.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I guess I'll just leave this here and show people some true results of FX vs Intel at 1080P

arma3_1920.png

ac4_1920.png

bf4mp_1920.png

bf4sp_1920.png

civ_1920.png

csgo_1920.png

crysis3_1920_2.png

fc3_1920.png

gta4_1920.png

maxpayne3_1920.png

metroll_1920.png

skyrim_1920.png

starcraft_1920.png

fc4_n_1920.png

acu_n_1280.png

56759.png

56765.png

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I guess I'll just leave this here and show people some true results of FX vs Intel at 1080P

But they are totaly irrelevent to this topic, since this topic is about 4k gaming.

Also those benchmarks are a bit dated aswell.

But they are totaly irrelevent to this topic, since this topic is about 4k gaming.

Also those benchmarks are a bit dated (H)aswell.

off: Sry...had to do it. :)

on: You're right though. We're talking 4K here, even if it is irrelevant. Nobody with a budget for 4K will ever consider an AMD CPU(i mean those who buy 2015).

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I think half the point of the benchmark was that a super expensive CPU isn't necessary for 4k. 4k is doable on a budget, if needs be.

While I personally will be waiting for Zen or going Intel for my next upgrade, I would not turn down a high tier FX CPU were it a good deal or free. And if I can hold out until then I am leaning towards Zen if its performance is anywhere close to the hype.

But, I do not consider this benchmark to be some kind of holy writ from the mount. It is one more use case and set of results to add to the plethora we have had. For the most part you are going to be getting much more performance out of an Intel CPU, but you are going to spend more for it, but at 4k the CPU shortcomings become less noticeable as GPU becomes the limiting factor. Hardly earth shattering.

At 4k the gpus take all the strain...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM