Windows 10 proven to spy on users, regardless of settings or system tweaks.

iwasaperson

Also, I might as well say that everyone is right for doubting these claims. The original author didn't provide any specifics or reproduce-able tests, probably to try keeping people from proving he's full of shit if these claims are false and he's just scaremongering, so I'd rather wait until more verifiable results come out and for Microsoft's official word on the issue. Also, I'm pretty sure you'd notice 80MB of data being uploaded to MS every 15 minutes, especially if you have a slower connection, like most rural parts of the United States or the entirety of Australia, or have data caps. Or, worst case scenario, both.

Not that Microsoft's gained any trust, but we saw what happened with the Xbox One. People hated the console as it originally was. Microsoft listened and did a complete 180. Same thing with Windows XP, people hated that OS until SP2 launched in 2004, three years after the initial release. There's nothing saying MS won't do that again.

No they won't. The average user doesn't care or know, and since Microsoft gave away Windows 10 for free, they're going to do everything they can to get your money back.

Remember, if it's gratis (and not libre), you're the product. And in some cases, even if you pay for it, you're still the product.

Just to let you know (cuz I'm not a weird fanatic), I just happen to believe, and be quite passionate, about the ideals that went into the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The main idea that those wise founding forefathers had, is this:  man is evil, should not be trusted, and needs checks and balances against anything from becoming too powerful -- wisdom which is now lost in my generation.

Sucks that the bill of rights don't apply to private companies.

Just wish Linux was as supperior as people keep claiming.

But it is not. It is a total mess that is unable to run most of the everyday software people want to use.

If we ever get an alternative is in the stars, but right now it is windows or no pc at all.

did anyone go check out the original article?

all transfers of data to Microsoft servers are encrypted and not without some deeper reverse engineering can figure out what's actually sent.

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

No they won't. The average user doesn't care or know, and since Microsoft gave away Windows 10 for free, they're going to do everything they can to get your money back.

Remember, if it's gratis (and not libre), you're the product. And in some cases, even if you pay for it, you're still the product.

And what makes you say that they won't, even after I gave two examples of Microsoft turning around and listening to people?

also, this

did anyone go check out the original article?

all transfers of data to Microsoft servers are encrypted and not without some deeper reverse engineering can figure out what's actually sent.

NOTHING IS CONFIRMED YET. Don't automatically assume the worst because "lol M$ sux".

My god, I can't believe you people are actually believing this shit. Did any of you actually see the "source" for this article?

Its from aeronet.cz which can be summed up by this comment on the article linked in OP.

"The source article isn't very trustworthy. The website is quite obviously an "alternative news" (read: "we post edgy bullshit to stroke our insane ideologies and to get lots of clicks") website, and an anonymous one on top of that. A quick look through the website using Google Translate should be enough to alert more perceptive readers to this fact, considering the quality of their other articles. For more evidence, you can check their Czech Wikipedia page: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronet.cz although again you'll have to use Google translate for this. Since they seem to like pro-Russian propaganda, I suppose their motivation for posting this particular article is that Microsoft is an US company and everything from the US is evil. I'm not saying there are no privacy or security issues with Windows 10 telemetry, but you should take this article with a grain of salt. Or perhaps more like a pound."

Not to mention the source is factually wrong straight off the fucking bat. They say Windows 10 has no auto correction when in fact it has auto correct across the entire system and has had this since Windows 8.0.

While we're at it why don't we just start posting InfoWars/Alex Jones on LTT FFS. :rolleyes:

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

or like anything else these days

Pretty much. The NSA/DEA/etc. don't care either, even though it's illegal. Sucks that the FREEDOM Act made it legal again. Now companies spy on you and give that info to the government, and the NSA just ignores that anyways and just spies on everyone.

They did with DirectX 9. It's called Gallium3D, but it's really only used for WINE.

I know that, but why not just break it (each version of DX, 9, 10, 12, whatever) down to source code (which yes, would be illegal) and then distribute it to anyone and everyone who wants it via torrents?

Yes it would be useless to the general user, but it would probably end up in the hands of enough people to actually do something with it.

Honestly, I would just like to see MS lose the ability to keep DX12 proprietary to windows. I would probably need to be hospitalized for hysterical laughter.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I spy on everyone OOOH SPOOKY.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

My god, I can't believe you people are actually believing this shit. Did any of you actually see the "source" for this article?

Its from aeronet.cz which can be summed up by this comment on the article linked in OP.

"The source article isn't very trustworthy. The website is quite obviously an "alternative news" (read: "we post edgy bullshit to stroke our insane ideologies and to get lots of clicks") website, and an anonymous one on top of that. A quick look through the website using Google Translate should be enough to alert more perceptive readers to this fact, considering the quality of their other articles. For more evidence, you can check their Czech Wikipedia page: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronet.cz although again you'll have to use Google translate for this. Since they seem to like pro-Russian propaganda, I suppose their motivation for posting this particular article is that Microsoft is an US company and everything from the US is evil. I'm not saying there are no privacy or security issues with Windows 10 telemetry, but you should take this article with a grain of salt. Or perhaps more like a pound."

Not to mention the source is factually wrong straight off the fucking bat. They say Windows 10 has no auto correction when in fact it has auto correct across the entire system and has had this since Windows 8.0.

While we're at it why don't we just start posting InfoWars/Alex Jones on LTT FFS. :rolleyes:

Are you saying Windows 10 doesn't spy on you? I'd like sources for that side of the argument.

couldn't you set a third party firewall Block the transmitions to these IP's/Addresses?

If not, I'll stick with windows 7

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

I know that, but why not just break it (each version of DX, 9, 10, 12, whatever) down to source code (which yes, would be illegal) and then distribute it to anyone and everyone who wants it via torrents?

Yes it would be useless to the general user, but it would probably end up in the hands of enough people to actually do something with it.

Honestly, I would just like to see MS lose the ability to keep DX12 proprietary to windows. I would probably need to be hospitalized for hysterical laughter.

Because reverse engineering is insanely hard. Many times, the code is obfuscated before it's even compiled, so you have to dig through assembly, which is hard enough, but also figure out what they obfuscated.

couldn't you set a third party firewall Block the transmitions to these IP's/Addresses?

If not, I'll stick with windows 7

No. As the article said, the spying is deeply integrated into the system DLLs and programs.

Because reverse engineering is insanely hard. Many times, the code is obfuscated before it's even compiled, so you have to dig through assembly, which is hard enough, but also figure out what they obfuscated.

How does one obfuscate code? Wouldn't that make it less efficient than it needs to be?

I'm not a programmer, some kind of example (short one) would be helpful. (I've done a miniscule amount of HTML stuff in basic notepad, if that helps)

mods, is this really "news"? sounds more like "off-topic" or "linux-talk"

Define R5 Black Window || i5 4690K || Scythe Kotetsu || Asus Maximus VII Gene || Kingston Fury 8GB || EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 || EVGA G2 750W || SSD/HDD/ODD

And what makes you say that they won't, even after I gave two examples of Microsoft turning around and listening to people?

Because those things are directly apparent. The spying is hidden in the system, and only people who read tech news will even know about it.

mods, is this really "news"? sounds more like "off-topic" or "linux-talk"

Only the bottom part of my commentary is Linux talk. The fact that Windows 10 is spying on you regardless of modifications you make to it is news.

I'm feeling better and better with each Win10 topic for not upgrading my Win7 Pro.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Oh man, that is a very, very good point. Not only is this unverifiable (which is helped by the source not posting any reproduceable tests), it's also from an untrustworthy source. Is this really how far we've sunk since the Windows 10 launch? As he said, we might as well begin using InfoWars as a source too if we're gonna use untrustworthy sources.

No. As the article said, the spying is deeply integrated into the system DLLs and programs.

so microsoft got a free pass to spy on people worldwide

That seems fair since im not in America

it would be so cool if the Australian government passed a motion stating Collection of info personal/ect

is prohibited if the company is run outside of australia

-Microsoft 2015

How does one obfuscate code? Wouldn't that make it less efficient than it needs to be?

I'm not a programmer, some kind of example (short one) would be helpful.

All obfuscation is is just making it so that it's harder - if not near impossible - to reverse engineer.

Some websites have obfuscated HTML and JavaScript.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I'm feeling better and better with each Win10 topic for not upgrading my Win7 Pro.

I know that feels bro.

All obfuscation is is just making it so that it's harder - if not near impossible - to reverse engineer.

Some websites have obfuscated HTML and JavaScript.

Yes but how do you obfuscate a code?

give or take 12 months someone will release a unoffical fix to block microsoft from spying on you

-Microsoft 2015

give or take 12 months someone will release a unoffical fix to block microsoft from spying on you

We can only hope.

If I must, I will READILY pirate a windows 10 that's been changed to remove this crap completely (not just turn it off). And just so MS or whomever can't bitch, I will pay for a distro, and then not use it.