(unconfirmed) Windows’ New Terms of Use for Data Collection Remove All Pretense of ‘Personal’ Information

Dabombinable

I'm going to check this for myself but my mother of all people pointed this out to me-I hope like hell this isn't part of the Windows 7 agreement (and please let me know if this is a re-post):

And, I get it, I use Google AdWords. You give me an advertising identity so that marketers can target me based on places I’ve visited or articles I’ve shared. I’m no dummy, I understand how it works.

I was even leaning toward Chris Christie’s side Thursday night when he argued with Rand Paul about monitoring information without a court order. I too think it’s easy to act concerned when you’re sitting in a subcommittee blowing hot air. Hell, I’ve sat anonymously behind some lawmakers while they were in their subcommittees huffing and puffing.

But I clearly wasn’t paying attention when it got to the part about trusting you not to share my most personal communications with anyone you say you want to share it with.

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications, or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.”

Source: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/windows-new-terms-of-use-for-data-collection-remove-all-pretense-of-personal-information

Now I strongly suggest that everyone who is dealing with Windows goes through the Eula with a fine toothed comb to see this if this is true-I know I will when I get my new motherboard and CPU in the next few days, re-install Windows 7, and decide to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. If its true, then I've got the HDD space for Linux, and I'll have my GTX 650ti dedicated to it with Windows 7/10 being installed in the VM and having full use of my GTX 970 for games-which to me will be the only point of Windows from now on if this article is true.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

NO PLEASE

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

PLEASE BE FAKE

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Yes this is real. Hence why I'm moving to Linux once again when dealing with personal files.

fuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING WINDOWS

FYI. 

Most EULAs have this. I suggest anyone scared by this to not read the EULA for anything else, as your mind=blown.

As far as I read it - if they have reason to believe that you are doing something that requires that they "protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.” then they will investigate you. 

This will likely require that they have adequate proof before hand, or it will result in a legal mess for them. 

But really, Most EULA you agree to lets the company do things involved with the use of their software, to protect their software and the people that use it. 

If you need the privacy - linux. :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

FYI. 

Most EULAs have this. 

As far as I read it - if they have reason to believe that you are doing something that requires that they "protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.” then they will investigate you. 

This will likely require that they have adequate proof before hand, or it will result in a legal mess for them. 

But really, Most EULA you agree to lets the company do things involved with the use of their software, to protect their software and the people that use it. 

The one downside to Linux, it nearly blows your mind with the amount of distro.

PMSL

FYI. 

Most EULAs have this. 

i dont think so

linux is open source

it is hackable because hackers can take apart the code and read it for backdoors

but honestly i think it isnt the most private thing in te world

you want privacy?? THE BATHROOM

(no need to be upset)

lel ikr which distro do u use

Yes. It can be fun to find one you like though :)

Unfortunately, I work for a company, and need standardized software tools and filetypes. It badly cuts down my productivity to use linux at this point in my life :(

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

install debian and learn how to install gnome from the terminal and dun deal. 

Don't use Ubuntu or Ubuntu based distros if you care about security.

here's a great website when it comes to seeing which distros would be best for security - https://prism-break.org/en/

lel ikr which distro do u use

None-still haven't made my mind up as having 500GB of internet all of a sudden instead of shitty wireless really makes choosing more difficult.

PMSL

Can I do fullscreen gaming in a VM on Linux?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

None-still haven't made my mind up as having 500GB of internet all of a sudden instead of shitty wireless really makes choosing more difficult.

At least most linux distros aren't bloated like Windows and don't require 4GB+, most are 1GB or under.

Can I do fullscreen gaming in a VM on Linux?

If you have a dedicated graphics card (ie, low end for Linux, high end for the VM) you should be able to-though it also depends on the CPU you have as well.

PMSL

At least most linux distros aren't bloated like Windows and don't require 4GB+, most are 1GB or under.

Windows XP...fully operational on a 420MB HDD......

PMSL

If you have a dedicated graphics card (ie, low end for Linux, high end for the VM) you should be able to-though it also depends on the CPU you have as well.

iGPU?

4770k mang

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Well...we can't really be surprised. We should have expected this when they were rolling it out for free.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications, or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.”

This hasn't changed, it is how it was written in the last one. 

What it means is they will only access your data if they have reasonable knowledge that doing so will protect your data, your data is part of a legal dispute or against terms and conditions, your account information is being used by someone else for nefarious reasons or similarly your account information/personal data is implicated.  If they have no reason or cannot show reasonable cause to look at our data they won't.

One thing people need to remember is that:

You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use some features or services.

meaning if you don't give them your name address and payment details you can't purchase from the store, if you don't provide your email address you can't sync your emails to onedrive or other MS calendar services.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What it means is they will only access your data if they have reasonable knowledge that doing so will protect your data, your data is part of a legal dispute or against terms and conditions, your account information is being used by someone else for nefarious reasons or similarly your account information/personal data is implicated.  If they have no reason or cannot show reasonable cause to look at our data they won't.

meaning if you don't give them your name address and payment details you can't purchase from the store, if you don't provide your email address you can't sync your emails to onedrive or other MS calendar services.

Thank you for the clarity good sir.

So in other words make sure that Microsoft doesn't back us into a corner and give no alternative except to use their services?

PMSL

So in other words make sure that Microsoft doesn't back us into a corner and give no alternative except to use their services?

Like with everything I guess.  It pays to read the fine print.  However having said that these days the fine print is getting so technical and legalese that it's easy to take just about anything from it you want. 

It's interesting to note what MS has to say about privacy statements:

One of the challenges with the current model is that much of the responsibility for privacy protection rests with individuals who are expected to read and make informed decisions based on the numerous detailed privacy statements of service providers.

http://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2014/03/05/microsoft-experts-gather-for-global-privacy-summit-in-washington-d-c/

I am sure many a business director has had their legal team pour over the new statements before making any decisions about upgrading.  They'll come out of the woodwork for us to read about soon enough.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So, correct me if I'm wrong, does this mean that their privacy statement is actually better than it was before?

And on another note, how does their statement compare to Google or Facebook, seeing as those two probably know more about you than you do.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, does this mean that their privacy statement is actually better than it was before?

And on another note, how does their statement compare to Google or Facebook, seeing as those two probably know more about you than you do.

Microsoft has complete access to everything...though they might be less free with your information.

PMSL