(unconfirmed) Windows’ New Terms of Use for Data Collection Remove All Pretense of ‘Personal’ Information

Dabombinable

@mr moose

Let's be honest, people are really worried about what Cortana has access to.  Ignore the video below, and just focus on the dialogue.  Imagine this happening down the line.  :P

My PC specifications are in my profile.

-snip-

-snip-

The concern isn't necessarily about if Microsoft looks at the data, but more about what they do with it. Microsoft was one of the first companies to join the PRISM program, and the people that are against PRISM are the people that are against this. The thing that scares us is just the lack of privacy and the future implications of companies/the Government having this data. I don't want this to turn into a debate on privacy and the NSA, I just want it to be clear where the concern is coming from. 

Also, there could be nothing to worry about. However, considering the NSA revelations, especially PRISM, I think this being an issue is very plausible. 

The concern isn't necessarily about if Microsoft looks at the data, but more about what they do with it. Microsoft was one of the first companies to join the PRISM program, and the people that are against PRISM are the people that are against this. The thing that scares us is just the lack of privacy and the future implications of companies/the Government having this data. I don't want this to turn into a debate on privacy and the NSA, I just want it to be clear where the concern is coming from. 

Also, there could be nothing to worry about. However, considering the NSA revelations, especially PRISM, I think this being an issue is very plausible. 

Then don't use the service.  or encrypt all your data before sending it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Then don't use the service.  or encrypt all your data before sending it.

The issue isn't just with OneDrive, and it's not simply solvable by "encrypting all your data". For instance, the NSA has "pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail" (Source). While it would be nice to just say "I won't use the service", the reality is that I own an Xbox, run Windows 10 (albeit in a VM), and occasionally use Skype. 

The issue isn't just with OneDrive, and it's not simply solvable by "encrypting all your data". For instance, the NSA has "pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail" (Source). While it would be nice to just say "I won't use the service", the reality is that I own an Xbox, run Windows 10 (albeit in a VM), and occasionally use Skype. 

You can use other email clients, get email address even setup your own if you are that concerned. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You can use other email clients, get email address even setup your own if you are that concerned. 

I understand that. However, that's obviously not the most elegant solution and there is often a reason people use a certain service in the first place (whether it be ease of use, popularity, for work, software restrictions, etc.). Wouldn't it just be better if this sort of stuff wasn't happening and we could be free to do what we want on our private computer without having to worry about our privacy?

P.S Congrats on 10k posts  :D

I understand that. However, that's obviously not the most elegant solution and there is often a reason people use a certain service in the first place (whether it be ease of use, popularity, for work, software restrictions, etc.). Wouldn't it just be better if this sort of stuff wasn't happening and we could be free to do what we want on our private computer without having to worry about our privacy?

P.S Congrats on 10k posts  :D

Well first thanks, 10K didn't even realise.

And secondly, the ToS has to be written like that in order to provide that service anyway.  Just like googles and apples.   There are only three reasons they do this:

1. directed ads

2. product improvement/security/legal

3. Allows you to actually use the product.

From apple:

We may collect information such as occupation, language, postcode, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location and the time zone where an Apple product is used, so that we can better understand customer behaviour and improve our products, services and advertising.

From Google:

We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). Google may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your Google Account.

When you use our services or view content provided by Google, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:

details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.

telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.

Internet protocol address.

device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.

cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Google Account.

I think it is prudent to remember that MS make their money from software sales (not selling your data), apple make their money from hardware sales (not selling your data) Google make their money from selling your data, and that is quite apparent in their ToS.  The MS ToS reflect the level of service they provide and the level of scrutiny they are under from governments and legal systems.