why 144hz why such a random number? why not 120hz?

saiftech

how come there are monitors that have 144hz? whats the point of 144hz? can anyone really see a difference between 144 and 120 fps? there practically alike? so why was 144hz even made for monitors?

and how come it stays at 143hz when its advertised at 144hz? i have a 144hz monitor and i always see it caped at 144hz with g-sync

This forum really picked up on the shitposters.

It makes sense, I mean competitive play and stuff :P

Because they can make monitors with that refresh rate with a profit.

Why is it random? It's probably not, there's probably a reason (which I don't know)

And difference between 120fps and 144fps is negligible? I dunno, some people might see it.. But again, first point. Why not try to excel above your competitors with 24Hz more when you can?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

tvs can do like 1000hz but thats a different story

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

144 divides into 24 evenly which is good for 3D movies, 120 divides into 24 unevenly which is fine for 2D but not ideal for 3D, 120 has the benefit of also evenly dividing into 30 and 60 so which is best to use depends on what you are viewing (only minor differences though).

except they can't. like at all. most of them run at sad 30hz or 60 hz if you are lucky. I heard some Vizio TV can do 120hz which was like magic.

144 divides into 24 evenly which is good for 3D movies, 120 divides into 24 unevenly which is fine for 2D but not ideal for 3D, 120 has the benefit of also evenly dividing into 30 and 60 so which is best to use depends on what you are viewing (only minor differences though).

how can 144 divide into 24 and 120 not divide into 24 evenly when the difference between them is 24, math?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

except they can't. like at all. most of them run at sad 30hz or 60 hz if you are lucky. I heard some Vizio TV can do 120hz which was like magic.

so you're telling  me every single tv company is lying then?

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

I seriously doubt that. most of that "super high refresh rate" nonsense is just marketing.

Woo!

Pretty much yes. It does show 1000hz, it's not real 1000 hz though it's 30/50/60 something repeated many times.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Not lying. Misdirecting.

surely thats a case for false advertisement then.

The Hz rating they are quoting is not the same as the refresh rate of a monitor. 

Edit: worded the 2nd part badly, don't want to cause confusion lool 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

The Hz rating they are quoting is not the same as the refresh rate of a monitor. 

The highest a Panels true refresh rate has been developed is 160Hz, and that's not available in a display just yet, but it has been announced.

I overclocked my panel to 164Hz ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nope. Nothing they are telling is lies, they just twist their words to fuck with people.

man some people are twats.

how can 144 divide into 24 and 120 not divide into 24 evenly when the difference between them is 24, math?

*EVENLY - English ;)

how come there are monitors that have 144hz? whats the point of 144hz? can anyone really see a difference between 144 and 120 fps? there practically alike? so why was 144hz even made for monitors?

and how come it stays at 143hz when its advertised at 144hz? i have a 144hz monitor and i always see it caped at 144hz with g-sync

144hz is the maximum transfer rate of 1440p for current DP and Dual Link DVI. 

you can oc the panel to something higher but you are not changing the amount of information that can actually arrive at the monitor, it will probably make things worst if you have a g sync monitor.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

*EVENLY - English ;)

that doesn't matter like at all.

144hz is the maximum transfer rate of 1440p for current DP and Dual Link DVI. 

you can oc the panel to something higher but you are not changing the amount of information that can actually arrive at the monitor, it will probably make things worst if you have a g sync monitor.

now that makes sense though I think dvi can't do 1440p 144hz it can do 1080p 144 hz though. 

Spoiler

that doesn't matter like at all.

now that makes sense though I think dvi can't do 1440p 144hz it can do 1080p 144 hz though.

At 144Hz each frame is repeated 3 times per eye at 120Hz you get 3 repeats to one eye for every 2 to the other, again it is a MINOR difference but it does make a difference.