Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Mode - 10 v 10 dogfighting

Well this is really interesting news. I haven't seen any posts about it at all here yet.

EA recently released some info about a new upcoming Starfighter dogfighting mode: 10 v 10 fights - w/ hero ships (Millennium Falcon and Slave One are pictured in the trailer)

The latest footage of Star Wars: Battlefront from this year's Gamescom shows a new gameplay mode named Fighter Squadron that allows gamers to take part in hectic 20-player aerial dogfights, piloting X-Wings, TIE fighters, and even the Millennium Falcon itself. "Fighter Squadron will put you inside the cockpit of some of the most memorable vehicles ever seen in the Star Wars galaxy," said Battlefront senior producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir at the Gamescom event.

What do you guys think? The trailer looks pretty intriguing. Looks like some sort of lock-on limited tracking system. There are missiles/torpedoes as well.

I'm kind of hoping that the bigger capital ships will be at least part of the level, as a fixed "base" or something, but even just the straight up dogfighting should be damn fun.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

wow the voice comms really sells it... But my biggest issue is that DICE makes the jankiest controls on PC to be able to fly a jet on battlefield, I hope that doesn't translate here.

I mean I hope we get something as awesome as rogue squadron: red leader when it comes to space combat instead of... battlefront.

*edit* 

when I heard han's voice... wow, brought a tear to my eye :')

Oh my GERD yes! I'm definitely getting this game! I absolutely loved the alpha!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My hype thrusters are activated for this game. Not going to preorder, of course. Will buy when I can get it on sale and if it runs well with my rig.

Was hoping they would have space battles this whole time and bang here it is let's goooo

Git Gud.

well since no space battles i guess this will have to do.

Wrong sub forum.

I'm not sure how you mean? This is news. This is the news subforum. Did LTT recently make a gaming news subforum?

If you believe it's in the wrong place, please report it to the mods and continue on your way :)

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That almost sold me on the game. It looks really fun. The on foot stuff looks extremely Battlefield-esque but that Fighter Squadron stuff looks great.

I'm not sure how you mean? This is news. This is the news subforum. Did LTT recently make a gaming news subforum?

If you believe it's in the wrong place, please report it to the mods and continue on your way :)

I'm not going to report it lol. I'm just letting you know this is the Tech news and Reviews section.

There is a pc gaming section it would probably be better suited in.

will this be part of their many microtransactions?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

wow the voice comms really sells it... But my biggest issue is that DICE makes the jankiest controls on PC to be able to fly a jet on battlefield, I hope that doesn't translate here.

I mean I hope we get something as awesome as rogue squadron: red leader when it comes to space combat instead of... battlefront.

The Rogue series was pretty amazing. I never got to play the GameCube sequel, only the original N64 game.

I got my first taste of it on the N64 Shadows of the Empire game, on the Hoth Level with the snow speeders. I would literally play that level over and over again :P

The Rogue series was pretty amazing. I never got to play the GameCube sequel, only the original N64 game.

I got my first taste of it on the N64 Shadows of the Empire game, on the Hoth Level with the snow speeders. I would literally play that level over and over again tongue.png

hehe my gamecube was my first stationary console (since I had a gameboy advanced before) so that's the only version I know, and damn it was an amazing game.

I'm not going to report it lol. I'm just letting you know this is the Tech news and Reviews section.

There is a pc gaming section it would probably be better suited in.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

Tech News means news regarding technology or gaming.

The mods disagree with you :) Until/unless they create a gaming news subforum, I will continue to post gaming news here.

This looks freaking incredible. Can't wait!!!

I must admit, the graphics do look sublime. That Star Destroyer in the background really sells the atmosphere... I just hope they have a level or two in which you can get up close and personal with one - and it has AI turret tracking, etc.

Well at least it is something. Its better than no proper dog fighting at all. It looks kinda cool. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Why can't this be 64 players?  I don't care about the resulting chaos. :)

Baby steps :P

Besides, 64 players on foot is a lot less demanding compared to 64 space fighters dogfighting :P

Besides, 64 players on foot is a lot less demanding compared to 64 space fighters dogfighting :P

I played 64 players in Quake back in '99.  I was expecting 512-player servers by 2015.  And I'm not talking about MMOs, either. :P

I played 64 players in Quake back in '99.  I was expecting 512-player servers by 2015.  And I'm not talking about MMOs, either. :P

*cough* yeah that's like saying Pac-Man could have 64 players :P

Quake - 1996 - Character Polygon count: 200

Battlefield 3 - 2011 - Character Polygon count: ~15,000

http://www.shiva-engine.com/how-many-polygons/

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/yes-but-how-many-polygons-an-artist-blog-entry-with-interesting-numbers.39321/

A single Starfighter in Battlefront 2015 probably has 100,000 polygon count :P

GPU power increases, so they increase model complexity as well. It's a vicious cycle.

*cough* yeah that's like saying Pac-Man could have 64 players :P

Quake - 1996 - Character Polygon count: 200

Battlefield 3 - 2011 - Character Polygon count: ~15,000

http://www.shiva-engine.com/how-many-polygons/

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/yes-but-how-many-polygons-an-artist-blog-entry-with-interesting-numbers.39321/

A single Starfighter in Battlefront 2015 probably has 100,000 polygon count :P

GPU power increases, so they increase model complexity as well. It's a vicious cycle.

At 10v10, though, it seems like we've traded players for polys.

After watching this video, I have to say i'm impressed. Which never happens in my world of gaming. Still not enough to get me to buy it. Without a good single player campaign. EA wont get my money this time.  

64 player map would be a disaster, having that many people render fast paced graphics would be a mess. I foresee consoles at launch having a hard time with this. It will be a lagfest.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

At 10v10, though, it seems like we've traded players for polys.

Yes, we have. We could easily have 500 vs 500 fights (See Planetside 1 and 2 for a rough idea of that kind of higher player count), but we'd be trading graphics for more players.

That's hard to sell to investors.

Beautiful graphics are easy to sell and market, since you can see the results right in front of you. Convincing someone that more players is better is harder, since most people just don't give a shit.

will this be part of their many microtransactions?

Please microtransactions are not bad. But please dont pretend that ea is the only one who does it. Look at Valve Tf2 had it, even portal 2, and dota had them. they make it more enjoyable for people

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Yes, we have. We could easily have 500 vs 500 fights (See Planetside 1 and 2 for a rough idea of that kind of higher player count), but we'd be trading graphics for more players.

That's hard to sell to investors.

Beautiful graphics are easy to sell and market, since you can see the results right in front of you. Convincing someone that more players is better is harder, since most people just don't give a shit.

That would not be fun, 500 differant enemies How big would the map have to be.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614