So-called "next-gen" consoles emulated on our modern PCs?

Dravic

Yes it will be very easy to make emulators for them, and they will probably be very stable since both use x86 there will be very little configuration needed there. I bet within days there will be working emulators for them.

umm, no

umm, no

you underestimate the people of the internet.

you underestimate the people of the internet.

i think you overestimate them. as @Kuzma said go take a look at wine

i think you overestimate them. as @Kuzma said go take a look at wine

Oh gosh Wine :( wine is so pitiful

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Oh gosh Wine :( wine is so pitiful

at least it sorta kinda works doe some things?

at least it sorta kinda works doe some things?

true, somethings; and considering how long they've been working on it for and how long it's been since the core of windows has actually changed (note how nearly every program works all the way back to 98/ME) it's kind of embarrassing :/

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

true, somethings; and considering how long they've been working on it for and how long it's been since the core of windows has actually changed (note how nearly every program works all the way back to 98/ME) it's kind of embarrassing :/

I actually use a program that works better in it I think its because it not natively multi threaded and is processor heavy. Problem is that not all part of it work in wine.

Ps2 emulation has happened already. But to the point of next gen, all these people saying it will be a couple of weeks are completely wrong. Yes, they are based off of x86 but we don't completely know what the architecture is, we don't know how different components work together yet. Emulating next gen will be easier but will still take a while, not only will our computers need to be ALOT more powerful, but we have to crack the DRM which is more of an issue (it took years to crack ps3). It would be more likely if someone figured out how to port games to pc rather then emulate the consoles themselves.

I believe the answer to running PS4/Xbox One games is to port them over. Not emulating as this wouldn't be possible. The Xbox 360 is over 8 years old and hasn't been emulated (PS3 too), these systems are very complex and secure. However a Russian hacker recently got an Xbox arcade game running on the PC and released it.

-snip-

Original Xbox has already been emulated, but apparently not completely. I definitely remember there being a working one at some point, but I can't check it right now.

Afaik, emulation is a question of hardware - you need reasonably more powerful hardware to be able to emulate or create virtual hardware to match the consoles. That said, the hardware in the next-gen consoles aren't all that powerful compared to a high end gaming rig, so it'll most likely be enough to emulate, disregarding similarities in CPU architecture.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

-snip-

You can emulate on a Xbox, I do NES, SNES and N64 emulation on my original Xbox, but the farthest we've gotten to actually emulating an original Xbox is doing Halo 1 and even that is buggy and unplayable.

Again, we haven't even came close to a Xbox emulator that actually works, let alone a Xbox 360, the One and PS4 won't come for way over a decade unless there is a huge surplus of coders that come out of nowhere that have a sole purpose of emulating the new consoles.

Personally, I'd rather see a Xbox 360 emulator than a One/PS4 emulator, but hey, that's just me.

You can emulate on a Xbox, I do NES, SNES and N64 emulation on my original Xbox, but the farthest we've gotten to actually emulating an original Xbox is doing Halo 1 and even that is buggy and unplayable.

Again, we haven't even came close to a Xbox emulator that actually works, let alone a Xbox 360, the One and PS4 won't come for way over a decade unless there is a huge surplus of coders that come out of nowhere that have a sole purpose of emulating the new consoles.

Personally, I'd rather see a Xbox 360 emulator than a One/PS4 emulator, but hey, that's just me.

Indeed.

The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 being x86-based means that porting to and from the consoles and PC is much easier for developers, and more of their work and code can be directly carried over without requiring significant changes to function. However, this does not equate to the consoles being easier to emulate. Both of those are entirely different things.

As @EChondo has pointed out, the original Xbox was x86 based and still has not been successfully emulated on PC. If such an old console which is by today's standards so hideously simple cannot be emulated, how can you expect devices which are exponentially more powerful to be easier to emulate?

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I don't see why not at some point, but I wonder how emulation would handle the issue/idea of DLC and OTA updates for games.

I don't see why not at some point, but I wonder how emulation would handle the issue/idea of DLC and OTA updates for games.

DLC is just added on content, just have to have a main profile and have it register the DLC, we will most likely need a dedicated profile if you're emulating Xbox360/PS3, and with OTA's you could just package that up and have it an all-in-one download(if you're downloading ROMs/ISOs).

Emulating is emulating. If we are able to emulate a J-Tag Xbox 360 then it would be even easier to run unregistered games, people do it all the time on real Xbox 360's. PS3 is a different story.

DLC is just added on content, just have to have a main profile and have it register the DLC, we will most likely need a dedicated profile if you're emulating Xbox360/PS3, and with OTA's you could just package that up and have it an all-in-one download(if you're downloading ROMs/ISOs).

Emulating is emulating. If we are able to emulate a J-Tag Xbox 360 then it would be even easier to run unregistered games, people do it all the time on real Xbox 360's. PS3 is a different story.

PS3/PS4 emulating is really the only one I'm interested in. Also, personally I'd probably want to use my own discs to make ISOs of the base game, so I guess someone could make a tool where you could do basically what you just said. I guess it's just the "how" when it comes to actually getting the DLC/Updates that I'm concerned with.

PS3/PS4 emulating is really the only one I'm interested in. Also, personally I'd probably want to use my own discs to make ISOs of the base game, so I guess someone could make a tool where you could do basically what you just said. I guess it's just the "how" when it comes to actually getting the DLC/Updates that I'm concerned with.

I'm not familiar with the PlayStation ecosystem, but there are programs out there where you can make ISO's from discs. PlayStation 3 emulation is coming, someone is able to emulate Uncharted 3 from the last time I've looked it up. Google around, read up on the stuff.

I'm not familiar with the PlayStation ecosystem, but there are programs out there where you can make ISO's from discs. PlayStation 3 emulation is coming, someone is able to emulate Uncharted 3 from the last time I've looked it up. Google around, read up on the stuff.

I do Google around about this, probably too frequently, and a lot of what I find is fake. Heck, I haven't been able to find a legitamite method to copy PS3 discs for personal backups. All of the ones on Google that I find are scams.

I do Google around about this, probably too frequently, and a lot of what I find is fake. Heck, I haven't been able to find a legitamite method to copy PS3 discs for personal backups. All of the ones on Google that I find are scams.

The things you are finding for copying PS3 discs is copying and cracking the encryption of the disc itself. The reason why those tools exist(and many are probably scams) is so people with modified PS3's that are homebrewed can download games from the internet, burn it to a disc and then put it in their PS3 and play. This is also called piracy.

If you're looking to do that then I've given you a few keywords to help you search it up. If you're looking to just make backups and don't care about homebrewing it, then you can download any DVD imaging or ISO creator and make backups that way, but unless you have a modified PS3, the system won't be able to read the disc since each disc has its own encryption thus the need to crack the game and the disc.

Pretty interesting methods. If you're waiting to play the ISO's for emulation then you don't need to crack the game since the emulator should be able to read it just fine, that's if an emulator comes out soon. There will be one eventually, I mean there is a PS2 one that just came out and works great, but not perfect.

If you want to ask me more specific questions, PM me and ill get back to you ASAP. I'm currently about 100 miles from home attending my grandfather's funeral.

Pretty interesting methods. If you're waiting to play the ISO's for emulation then you don't need to crack the game since the emulator should be able to read it just fine, that's if an emulator comes out soon. There will be one eventually, I mean there is a PS2 one that just came out and works great, but not perfect.

I can only hope that we'll see such an emulator sooner rather than later. With Sony dropping backwards compatibility from many of its products with each generation, I'd rather not have to worry about what I'll do it my PS3 ever dies. And I agree with you on the PS2 emulator thing. It's great, but it needs more polish.

Uh, emulating Xbox One and PS4 will not be possible FOR YEARS.

Why? It's the x86 architecture. Just because PC's are x86 doesn't mean it's easier. If it was, then why don't we have Xbox or Xbox 360 emulation? They used x86, so shouldn't they be easier to emulate? No, that's not how it works. We have PS1 and PS2 emulation so far and PS3 is being worked on as we speak, yet there is no site WHATSOEVER for either the original Xbox or Xbox 360.

It won't happen for YEARS.

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=22739

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535575

USE the search function

emulation WONT happen on x86 look at the first xbox

i already made a thread about this !!!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26410-emulating-ps4-and-xbox-one-games/

It's not going to be emulated in the near future. A few years maybe, but definitely not weeks or months.

Like people said, emulation won't happen for a while.

I believe that although emulation won't be achieved for a good 6-12 months after the launch of next-generation consoles, but it is definitely possible. At a recen event (FanExpo), there were a bunch of Xbox Ones and PS4's available for the public to play. Microsoft was showing off the Xbox One and you could see it whilst you were playing. Sony's PS4, however, you could not see, as it was supposedly not the PS4, but PC's locked under the tables running the PS4 games.

Plus, even if this is incorrect, as technology grows and Microsoft/Sony introduce more intelligent and complex OS and Firmware, the modding/hacking community also get smarter and smarter and can eventually do more and more things!

The thing is, why would you even bother trying to emulate? In my opinion if you want to run a game like Forza 5 at 1080p:60fps, you should buy the console itself, as essentially the game was designed for the console so will run best on it. Of course so console is worth buying for just one game, but it's worth acknowledging that even when emulation is possible, it will never be as good as the official retail release on the console.

When you play The Game of Thrones, you win or you die...

I believe that although emulation won't be achieved for a good 6-12 months after the launch of next-generation consoles, but it is definitely possible. At a recen event (FanExpo), there were a bunch of Xbox Ones and PS4's available for the public to play. Microsoft was showing off the Xbox One and you could see it whilst you were playing. Sony's PS4, however, you could not see, as it was supposedly not the PS4, but PC's locked under the tables running the PS4 games.

Plus, even if this is incorrect, as technology grows and Microsoft/Sony introduce more intelligent and complex OS and Firmware, the modding/hacking community also get smarter and smarter and can eventually do more and more things!

The thing is, why would you even bother trying to emulate? In my opinion if you want to run a game like Forza 5 at 1080p:60fps, you should buy the console itself, as essentially the game was designed for the console so will run best on it. Of course so console is worth buying for just one game, but it's worth acknowledging that even when emulation is possible, it will never be as good as the official retail release on the console.

u will never see an emulator

what you saw was a pc build before it was ported to the xbox

not an emulator

x86 is near impossible to emulate

even if it was risc based u will need a pc many times faster just look at today no ps3 emulators

we might see a ps3 emulator in 10 years

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Hello!

Today's topic is...

Do you think emulating Xbox One or PlayStation 4 will be possible on our PCs?

I know what you will say...

"But Dravic, we can't emulate even PS2 save for PS3 or Xbox 360, what the heck are you talking about? Just wet dreams you have there!"

See, new consoles are trying to hide it behind some cool names (AMD hUMA, HSA and stuffz), but in the very inside they are just another x86 devices.

X86 is one huge family.

That means we can probably overcome the obstacles, crack those consoles open and emulate them shortly after launch (few months?).

Your opinions? WIll it be possible?

I personally hope so. If it is a possibility I will definitely use it and two things most likely to happen may be:

1, Micro$oft and $ony will try to take us down and that will lead into neverending circle because we all know what has been done on the internet can't be undone.

2. Micro$oft and $ony will be forced to start porting exclusives to PC or they will lose potential customers because PC gaming is cheaper (buying games on Steam sales etc.) and we will be able to simply play all the exclusive games of next-gen consoles like nobody's business.

Is emulating morally justified? WELL that's a subject of discussion for years now. My insight:

If you can't have it on PC anyway because the publishers don't give a f#$!, they shouldn't give a f#$! that you play their game nontheless, then.

I run all PS2 games properly at 60FPS, heck i run FFIX at 80FPS+, but the game is too fast :P

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW