So-called "next-gen" consoles emulated on our modern PCs?

Dravic

Hello!

Today's topic is...

Do you think emulating Xbox One or PlayStation 4 will be possible on our PCs?

I know what you will say...

"But Dravic, we can't emulate even PS2 save for PS3 or Xbox 360, what the heck are you talking about? Just wet dreams you have there!"

See, new consoles are trying to hide it behind some cool names (AMD hUMA, HSA and stuffz), but in the very inside they are just another x86 devices.

X86 is one huge family.

That means we can probably overcome the obstacles, crack those consoles open and emulate them shortly after launch (few months?).

Your opinions? WIll it be possible?

I personally hope so. If it is a possibility I will definitely use it and two things most likely to happen may be:

1, Micro$oft and $ony will try to take us down and that will lead into neverending circle because we all know what has been done on the internet can't be undone.

2. Micro$oft and $ony will be forced to start porting exclusives to PC or they will lose potential customers because PC gaming is cheaper (buying games on Steam sales etc.) and we will be able to simply play all the exclusive games of next-gen consoles like nobody's business.

Is emulating morally justified? WELL that's a subject of discussion for years now. My insight:

If you can't have it on PC anyway because the publishers don't give a f#$!, they shouldn't give a f#$! that you play their game nontheless, then.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Um, everyone knows that the next gen will be quickly emulated already. It's possible and probably very easy. Maybe a few weeks after launch they will be emulated....

...Those dollar signs man...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Most dev kits for a few generations have been pcs...

I think it's a lot more feasible to port to PC (the developer kits were PCs after all) when compared to the previous generation (especially the PS3, that thing was a nightmare for developers), Sony and Microsoft will probably start raging if ports happen, it probably won't stop people from doing so.
For the question, "Is emulating morally justified", here's my opinion: I don't give a single shit about what Microsoft or Sony says, I want some console exclusives on the PC now :3 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Most dev kits for a few generations have been pcs...

Devkit? You talk about something like Nvidia GeForce powered Xbox One on E3 2013 with Windows 7? :DDD

I know of course!

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I think it wouldn't even take a couple of weeks.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Every PC gamer soul saved from buying closed-console system is a saved soul in the end of the day. :D

Every PC gamer soul saved from buying closed-console system is a saved soul in the end of the day. :D

You know it's all going to be pirated and all the games for it will be pirated right? That's one of the reason I feel Xbox tried to go always online

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

x86 platforms so yes, PSP emulation happened NDS emulation happened GB/A/C happened, Gamecube emulation happened, Wii emulation happened, N64 Emulation Happened; the list goes on? I'd expecting 3DS and WiiU emulation within the next 2 years.

I think the reason we haven't really seen xbox 360 or ps3 emulation is that the push for it hasn't been big enough since most titles for them also came out for PC there's been less need to get an emulator besides the exclusives.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Amd huma and hsa actually coming to pc as well but it does not work like other x86 device because cpu and gpu share the same memory while traditional x86 has seperate memory between cpu and gpu. So it wont be another x86 device

amd-huma-slide-5-chart,9-D-382657-13.jpg

amd-slide-9-introducing-huma,9-E-382658-

x86 platforms so yes, PSP emulation happened NDS emulation happened GB/A/C happened, Gamecube emulation happened, Wii emulation happened, N64 Emulation Happened; the list goes on? I'd expecting 3DS and WiiU emulation within the next 2 years.

I think the reason we haven't really seen xbox 360 or ps3 emulation is that the push for it hasn't been big enough since most titles for them also came out for PC there's been less need to get an emulator besides the exclusives.

Nope, the reason is emulating a device with different architecture like previous consoles requires raw CPU power and our CPUs are far from being able to emulate CELL processors for example save for the GPU which is just years ahead of CPU computing. But next-gen consoles are really close to normal PCs.

You know it's all going to be pirated and all the games for it will be pirated right? That's one of the reason I feel Xbox tried to go always online

There's nothing like unbreakable DRM :)

Nope, the reason is emulating a device with different architecture like previous consoles requires raw CPU power and our CPUs are far from being able to emulate CELL processors for example save for the GPU which is just years ahead of CPU computing. But next-gen consoles are really close to normal PCs.

There's nothing like unbreakable DRM :)

You do realise I just mentioned the fact that it's x86 right? The only reason I listed the other is due to the fact that we emulated many other architectures that were COMPLETELY different to x86 so x86 emulation should be relatively easy (although WINE isn't looking the best as an example).

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

The whole thing comes down to: how hard will it be for us to emulate HSA environment. I think it will be very easy and software solutions might come even for different purposes (once amd APUs are released) yet adapted to emulate consoles.

:ph34r:

I'm pretty sure so embody said PS4 will be made to run just like a PC to make things easier for game developers, which means it should emulate pretty easily.

Sarah Jessica Parker

personally emulation is all good as long as you own the game your emulating, ive emulated many consoles on my pc, ps2, 3ds, nintendo ds, wii, psp as well as many others. Seeing as how the new consoles are x86 based and in all reality really are just htpc's in alot of ways i think emulation of the next gen consoles will be possible however optimization will be awful and would probably take one hell of a system

personally emulation is all good as long as you own the game your emulating, ive emulated many consoles on my pc, ps2, 3ds, nintendo ds, wii, psp as well as many others. Seeing as how the new consoles are x86 based and in all reality really are just htpc's in alot of ways i think emulation of the next gen consoles will be possible however optimization will be awful and would probably take one hell of a system

If we manage to emulate x86 hUMA it won't be hard to use normal GPU for computing, in the end we got all the brute force on our side (760, 7950 7970, 770 or even 780/Titan) and if 30fps stable would be achievable, both PS4 and Xbox One wouldn't exist for any sensible PC gamer :D

If we manage to emulate x86 hUMA it won't be hard to use normal GPU for computing, in the end we got all the brute force on our side (760, 7950 7970, 770 or even 780/Titan) and if 30fps stable would be achievable, both PS4 and Xbox One wouldn't exist for any sensible PC gamer :D

i suppose thats a valid point however, those games are optimized for one specific piece of hardware, how well that would run on any other kind of gpu is kind of iffy even though your thinking behind it seems very plausible and logical, i suppose we just have to wait and see what happens, i would love to see some good emulation becuase there are a few console exclusives i would like to play i just really dont wanna drop any money a console after spending lots of time and money on a beast rig

Uh, emulating Xbox One and PS4 will not be possible FOR YEARS.

Why? It's the x86 architecture. Just because PC's are x86 doesn't mean it's easier. If it was, then why don't we have Xbox or Xbox 360 emulation? They used x86, so shouldn't they be easier to emulate? No, that's not how it works. We have PS1 and PS2 emulation so far and PS3 is being worked on as we speak, yet there is no site WHATSOEVER for either the original Xbox or Xbox 360.

It won't happen for YEARS.

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=22739

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535575

Uh, emulating Xbox One and PS4 will not be possible FOR YEARS.

Why? It's the x86 architecture. Just because PC's are x86 doesn't mean it's easier. If it was, then why don't we have Xbox or Xbox 360 emulation? They used x86, so shouldn't they be easier to emulate? No, that's not how it works. We have PS1 and PS2 emulation so far and PS3 is being worked on as we speak, yet there is no site WHATSOEVER for either the original Xbox or Xbox 360.

It won't happen for YEARS.

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=22739

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535575

xbox 360 is not  x86

xbox 360 is not  x86

^ its a powerpc cpu, the instruction set is whack and the time and effort to convert powerpc instruction sets to x86 would be pointless(I THINK this is what I have read)

^ its a powerpc cpu, the instruction set is whack and the time and effort to convert powerpc instruction sets to x86 would be pointless(I THINK this is what I have read)

you are correct. The cpu in the PS3 and the 360 are based on the same architecture, they both just got custom versions for their respective consoles.

you are correct. The cpu in the PS3 and the 360 are based on the same architecture, they both just got custom versions for their respective consoles.

Exactly.

That's why i mentioned previous consoles in OP.

These are really close to a PC and I hope we can emulate them easily and kick $ony and Micro$oft in their respectable butts. :D

Exactly.

That's why i mentioned previous consoles in OP.

These are really close to a PC and I hope we can emulate them easily and kick $ony and Micro$oft in their respectable butts. :D

game devs appreciate your encouragement of piracy as a means to satisfy your epeen

They wouldn't release their games on PC anyway, why do they bother? :D

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023580795/

Call me a pirate. Harr, harr. I appreciate if a developer releases their game on PC and i buy it.

I'm thinking. Would it be considered wrong to buy console exclusive games, for xbone and ps4, and use an emulator to play them?

Would that be justified?

I really hate exclusive games. I don't see how they can be good for a company. Reduce the number of potential customers.