CEO of Seagate: Nobody uses SSDs for storage

Deletive

Some SSD that I've seen endurance tested have had well over a petabyte of data written to them, so if the same tests hold true for that Intel 520, you should see well over a decades use out of it.

Right here.

I have a Intel X-25M(5-6 year old SSD).

5TB data written and still works fine.

j4zVxdM.png

Right here.

I have a Intel X-25M(5-6 year old SSD).

5TB data written and still works fine.

j4zVxdM.png

Yep, SSD will last a really long time. I wonder how well my OCZ Arc 100 will hold up.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My Adata SP600 128GB has lasted me well, so glad I went w/ it over a Western Digital Caviar Blue for my 1st Gaming PC.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I myself use HDD to this date over SSD for mainly cost and data integrity reasons... even with my newly built 4790K system. I cannot see myself spending money on just storage that costs in upwards of $800 for two terabyte of data in SSD type storage, and I prefer RAID setups... no not the the RAID 0 kind, but RAID 1 type, which would cost me at least $1600.

While chances are low for either HDD or SSD to fail, it happens, and it did happen to me. I had a maxtor, seagate, hitachi, and wd HDD in the past 15 years die on me. As far as SSD, I only had Samsung EVO 840 250GB for main OS partition, and that thing became corrupted during a power outage once, had to wipe it and start over, now that SSD resides in my laptop.

The most annoying part in all that, was the downtime. Reinstalling OS, game progress, ect... all that time I had to devote to get the system up and running again.

For me, anything less than RAID 1 is not acceptable anymore. And a 2TB RAID 1 array in HDD media only costs me $200, while a equal or lesser 1TB RAID 1 array would cost $800/$1600 respectively... 

Sure, other things in the system can fail as well, but those take way less time to take care of and replace.

That's fair, but you would still get an SSD for the OS and software (non games). That makes a huge change on performance after all.

I know right:

Yup that's a Wester Digital drive, NON modded.

And the platters are ruined ( I wonder if that's true, captainWD said they will get ruined if you open the drive ).

data is data. If I had the money, I wouldn't have an HDD on my PC, I would have a terabyte worth of SSD's (or a 1tb SSD)

When not being used, there is no difference between games, images, videos, music, programs, etc. They all take up space.

But context is a thing.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

They're great as a boot drive.  Any rational human being has backups anyway.

I have a complete image of my C drive.  Not because I am worried my 3 year old vertex 3 will shit itself, but because I am worried I'll get one of those crypto ransom malware viruses.

Incidentally for anyone interested my vertex 3 is only just noticeably slower than my 840, to give an idea of advancements in speed over 3 years for similar priced products. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sales numbers aren't bullshit. Now it does not means that people with laptops stop using them or that they're breaking down, but if you cannot understand or accept that literally millions or new users are coming with the widespread adoption of smartphones then there's no argument that would ever persuade you: can't help a blind man that refuses to see.

You know most people with smartphones also own PCs, right? They're not mutually exclusive. In fact everyone who owns an iPhone needs a PC for it to function fully, and Apple have very decent market share.

People are never going to write reports or essays or do the spreadsheet work they need to do on fucking phones. They are going to have multiple devices and use them all to their strengths. Microsoft bet Windows 8 on tablets ruling all and it fucking failed. Why do you think they chose now to return the start menu back if no one was using PCs any more?

data is data. If I had the money, I wouldn't have an HDD on my PC, I would have a terabyte worth of SSD's (or a 1tb SSD)

When not being used, there is no difference between games, images, videos, music, programs, etc. They all take up space.

I have 1.5TB solid state storage in my PC. I still use a mechanical disk as well.

SSD's aren't used for storage in business because it's too risky. 

In the case of a mechanical drive if something fails, you can still send it off for recovery. The magnetic platters retain thier data. 

For an SSD, if a chip fials, ALL THE DATA IS GONE FOREVER. 

For this reason, SSD's are not likely to take over as a storage medim in data centers. They are used for acceleration, but not long term storage. 

First of all, any business with one bit of common sense would do backups, you're expecting businesses guy scurrying to their tech department with their failed HDD after their hard drives fails? No they don't, they just ask for another drive and had it cloned from their backups. Expecting to recover stuff from storage devices are just not feasible for businesses should they failed, no matter its HDDs or SSDs, they'll just toss it out as soon as it failed, whether data is retained on the magnetic platters or not doesn't matter. 

One of my senior who has been maintaining servers for 20 years told me that HDD recovery services are only for stupid people or police departments, everyone who are doing anything even slightly important in my company has a RAID 1 setup, true, they're still mostly in HDDs but that's because it's cheap, not because SSDs are risky. I have few dozens of failed HDD lying around and no one bother to do recovery on them, unless it holds super important data, which in that case we have a contracted documents destruction companies who would also gladly punch a few holes through the HDD to completely destroy it for $5 as an add-on service.

For personal usage, no matter its a HDD or SSD, you should always be prepared for a hard drive failure and do backup, things that you don't do backup are either not important enough or you have too much money to spend because trying to recover data from your HDD can easily cost more than the price of SSD of the same capacity.

I have a cousin with pretty well off parents so he is a little spoiled when it comes to computers for his age. He just built a desktop and only put a single 1TB SSD in it. Granted 1TB isn't really that much anymore, but we are on the precipus of fully SSD machines becomeing a thing for enthusiasts with lighter storage space requirements.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Maybe when SSD's get cheaper and don't die out as easily. Maybe then I'll use them. Or I'll pick up  a cheap SSD and place my OS on it.

Which rock have you been living under?  SSD's have been outliving HDD's for years already.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I have a cousin with pretty well off parents so he is a little spoiled when it comes to computers for his age. He just built a desktop and only put a single 1TB SSD in it. Granted 1TB isn't really that much anymore, but we are on the precipus of fully SSD machines becomeing a thing for enthusiasts with lighter storage space requirements.

1TB is still a huge amount of storage unless you're a content creator. My 1TB drive is loaded with junk data and I still have 300GB left.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

1TB is still a huge amount of storage unless you're a content creator. My 1TB drive is loaded with junk data and I still have 300GB left.

I'm no content creator whatsoever, yet i used 75 percent of my 2TB Seagate HDD.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm no content creator whatsoever, yet i used 75 percent of my 2TB Seagate HDD.

good lord

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I would switch to just SSDs instantly if prices were ok. After switching to SSD for games I've never looked back with much shorter loading times.

And does any harddrive out there have a 10-year warranty? Because my 850 Pro has that.

good lord

And i managed to fill up a 1TB Seagate drive in 3 days

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This might be true for now but I think this percentage will change dramatically in the next 5 years. Especially with PCI-E and m.2 

I think this statement is a little bit true with the dropping prices of SSD's of all sizes and many more companies entering the space at all ends, it won't be soon because hard drives sales start dropping even more. SSD's in the business space offer a lot more usability in Data servers and the server space as data is often moved around, accessed and everything which is where I don't think HDD's can keep up.

Seagate CEO is clearly wrong. SSDs are already king when it comes to IOP critical tasks (i.e. most cases it is more cost effective to purchase SSD when compared 15K SAS HDD). More and more data centers are moving towards SSDs already, it is the consumer market (market) that doesn't do mass storage on SSDs.

Enough said:

post-155575-0-51373000-1438761679_thumb.

And I just saved around 320GB on the external drive by compressing it,

post-155575-0-51373000-1438761679_thumb.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Tapes are still a thing 

I think you made a mistake there, those aren't actual tapes you know. They are cases for your phone that look like tapes. Easily made mistake though they do look a lot like the real thing for the untrained eye...

I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

But in all honesty I haven't seen a tape recorder nor a tape in years. Only place I know they still prevail is here.

I think you made a mistake there, those aren't actual tapes you know. They are cases for your phone that look like tapes. Easily made mistake though they do look a lot like the real thing for the untrained eye...

But in all honesty I haven't seen a tape recorder nor a tape in years. Only place I know they still prevail is here.

The Lexus SC430 was the last car to ever come standard with a tape player (oh wait, it was cassette, but still same technology).

If it was the same price as HDDs I'd switch to all SSD. I'm still waiting on WD to properly enter the SSD race. :(

WD owns HGST, which produces SATA-based client SSDs and SAS-based server SSDs. They already have.

WD owns HGST, which produces SATA-based client SSDs and SAS-based server SSDs. They already have.

HGST has no presence in the consumer SSD market. At least Seagate is there, even if they're a minor player.

yah large capacity data archiving was what I was referring to

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Average users (such as my mom, dad, and sister), don't need any larger hard drives than a 250 GB one. And even that would be large for them.

And all of them are laptop users, I want to convert them all to the SSD side, but none of them are willing... :/

Average users (such as my mom, dad, and sister), don't need any larger hard drives than a 250 GB one. And even that would be large for them.

And all of them are laptop users, I want to convert them all to the SSD side, but none of them are willing... :/

Speaking of laptop usage and SSDs, is it stupid to put an Intel 730 in mine? Although it stays plugged in most of the time due to craptastic battery and AMD components (APU+GPU)? 

I just store/backup the rest onto a couple WD external drives afterward. Right now, any Angelbird product doesn't make sense to me, and they ran out of those Visiontek USB sticks.