How long do you keep your rig before you replace EVERYTHING?

JoeBTN

I keep it for at least 36 months(a year and a half) with upgrades.

For a crap pc that is. :P

Full upgrade: about four years. 

Got ya there didn't I ?  B)

I keep it for at least 36 months(a year and a half) with upgrades.

Till it dies. or is to slow to use.

Five to six years.

Currently my main PC is an i7 860 from 2010, but I'm in the process of parting a new 4790k build.  Should have it up and running by the end of October.  the two things holding me back are the recent expense of summer vacation, and wanting to see how Windows 10 shakes out over the next couple months.

I try to upgrade whenever the newest thing comes out but it's expensive so like it's hard :(

Usually every year or two.But I am already getting a 980Ti Soon as well as a Fury X to put in the same system for a troll machine

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

The whole point of a PC is not to upgrade EVERYTHING

So however long RAM/good PSU/case will last you before breaking or getting outdated... that's the answer.

System: Thinkpad T460

Around 5 years.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

The whole point of a PC is not to upgrade EVERYTHING

So however long RAM/good PSU/case will last you before breaking or getting outdated...

The downfall of the PCMR is the fact that you want to upgrade to the newest thing the second it comes out

1.8GHZ Dual core CPU lasted me for 7-8 years......

My old Pentium Dual Core lasted me all my life until I got a Pentium G2020 for a year and a half then this rig

PC and parts no later then about 2 years. GPU is usually a year. When skylake E comes out or whatever it's going to be called that will be my first 3 year build assuming shit dont break. 

My old Pentium Dual Core lasted me all my life until I got a Pentium G2020 for a year and a half then this rig

What "Pentium" Dual Core.....at least it's not NetBurst.

Never, I will always reuse some of the parts.

Smart

2 - 4 Years before a complete replacement is needed.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

What "Pentium" Dual Core.....at least it's not NetBurst.

What the heck is a NetBurst?

Edit:Looked on wikipidea and wut da fuq is this shiz man?

c674ebfdd5470d35f732ee5811a23998.png

Hard to say I use both Desktops and Laptops.

I replaced my Dell 1720 after 3 years of hard use but I still have after 10 because I could still use it for light medium use. My current Laptop is 3yrs old and it not ready yet to be put down as it plays OK enough for now.

My last desktop lasted me almost 10 years with hard use but had to put it down, whole system including box, as it was to small to make reasonable upgrades to.

I try to put parts in my system that is top of the line but not "the newest thing" for cost reasons. Top of the line will always last, and besides if im putting down 1000+ for any system it will last me as I am a quality over quantity type of guy, my buck will last me as far as it will go.  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm a part of the "Wait until things are on sale and then use them for a while and resell before they pricedrop to buy new hardware" masterrace.   has worked out pretty well so far

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I'm a part of the "Wait until things are on sale and then use them for a while and resell before they pricedrop to buy new hardware" masterrace.   has worked out pretty well so far

WE HAVE A SMART BUILDER HERE AND IT'S YOU!!!  :D