AMD Zen

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Contemplating putting this in my signature.

I'd put it in my signature if I didn't post it :)

AMD were just digging themselves a hole and they hoped they could dig themselves out with Excavator.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

The point of this thread was to ask what your guys views on this processor is. Will you buy this processor if it is equal to Intel's performance? If it is higher? You are the tech community. If you are hyped about an upcoming product it will get more earnings.

It won't be equal to Intel in single core performance, which is what the majority of pc builders care about due to gaming being the dominant pc activity among us. The gap is too large for amd to close in. Having said that....

I won't be buying it since I have a haswell i5 (Zen will be a huge improvement if it gets within 10-15% of haswell) however, I will recommend it if the pricing is right and the performance is close enough.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

They still have cheap laptops/consoles. (Yes the "/" means they're the same thing.) AMD will be fine.

I'd put it in my signature if I didn't post it :)

AMD were just digging themselves a hole and they hoped they could dig themselves out with Excavator.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

i think from a performance perspective zen will sit somewhere in between sandy bridge and ivy bridge which would already be nice honestly and a very healthy performance bump for AMD CPU's...if they ask 179$ for a true zen 6 cores and motherboards available from 79$ and around 129$ for good quality board feature rich then it could be a nice deal.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i think from a performance perspective zen will sit somewhere in between sandy bridge and ivy bridge which would already be nice honestly and a very healthy performance bump for AMD CPU's...if they ask 179$ for a true zen 6 cores and motherboards available from 79$ and around 129$ for good quality board feature rich then it could be a nice deal.

i would say ZEN should be between Ivy and Haswell really...

if we compare Cinebench scores (using 11.5 as all the CPUs ill be listing has been tested in that version. Results from Anandtech)

AMD A10 7870k (steamroller) = 1.06

Intel i5 2500k (Sandy) = 1.47

Intel i5 3570k (ivy) = 1.54

Intel i5 4690k (haswell) = 1.70

We know excavator is stronger then Steamroller by atleast 15-20% single core IPC wise (AMD stated 30%, but usually most of AMDs predictions are twice that of average gain. so 15-20% should be way more realistic)

If we increase the 1.06 score by 15-20%, we end up around 1.21 to 1.27... which is a fair bit closer to Sandy then steamroller...

Now, AMD predicts at minimum (from a design aspect purely) that going with SMT will give them 40% increase over excavator no matter what they do... so that should put AMD around 1.69-1.78 Cinebench R11.5 score.

IN THEORY...

now if we adjust these numbers a fair bit and stick to the "whatever AMD claims, realistic result is 50% of that claim" we end up with a theoretical score of 1.45 to 1.52

However, instruction sets DO MATTER, and ZEN will have the latest ones, so these will boost performance a little bit more. Therefore, i predict between Ivy and Haswell... But nothing more then that..

If ZEN is within 5-10% of haswell, then it will be a hit aslong as it is no more then 20% more expensive for CPU + RAM + board....

We must accept that a more feature loaded mobo and DDR4 will drive up the prices a fair bit, but if AMD prices things right. We should have a winner.

It also helps that 99% of AMD boards ALL support CF, which you usually need to pay a tad more for on Intel boards (not even all 150 or 170 chipset boards have CF on them, and far from all 81,85,87,97 board do), not to mention SLI being even more expensive then even basic CF boards...

Its 40% IPC over excavator is what I've heard which puts it around Haswell level performance? A switch to SMT and most likely using 14nm FINFET with DDR4 support on a brand new AM4 socket. I don't understand how anyone thinks it won't perform. 

Its 40% IPC over excavator is what I've heard which puts it around Haswell level performance? A switch to SMT and most likely using 14nm FINFET with DDR4 support on a brand new AM4 socket. I don't understand how anyone thinks it won't perform. 

Most of the information out there now is rumour. Although I am quite excited to see how it performs, I'd advise most not to get their hopes up :P

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

kVrFSRH.jpg?fb

lets wait for it to come out before we make any assumptions.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Bulldozer was MEANT to perform well... did it? HECK NO

Bulldozer was just advertised wrong, it was suppose to be a server grade CPU but AMD's CPU department decided to use/advertise it as a gaming/everyday CPU too and that's why single threaded is shit.

kVrFSRH.jpg?fb

lets wait for it to come out before we make any assumptions.

This is the internet! Making assumptions is one of the only things its good for.

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

I seriously doubt it will beat Intel performance wise. I think it will be slightly better than the fx line of cpu's

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

OMFG. Will you guys actually read? IT USES SMT!!!! There's literally no way the performance is being overhyped. Bulldozer used CMT which means two cores shared a single FPU but with SMT, one core will have ONE FPU. Again. There's literally no way another faildozer will happen. Its just NOT possible. And everyone is forgetting the CPU architecture God, Jim Keller was the head of such a bright engineering team. There's NO WAY that Zen will perform poorly and that's not even taking into account the jump from 28nm to 14nm.

I seriously doubt it will beat Intel performance wise. I think it will be slightly better than the fx line of cpu's

It won't be just slightly faster dude...It'll be up there with Haswell and its entirely possible it can be better than that.

Most of the information out there now is rumour. Although I am quite excited to see how it performs, I'd advise most not to get their hopes up :P

The rumours are most likely accurate.

It won't be just slightly faster dude...It'll be up there with Haswell and its entirely possible it can be better than that.

True it's possible. We'll have to wait and find out. Honestly I hope it does perform as well as its hype so amd can get back into the game and give Intel competition

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

we'll see in 9-16 months. the rumor mills are just flaring up and getting a lot of

panties in a bunch over hearsay, phenomenal unmarked graphs and unknown

methodology of said "increases" in un-named testing, application data and node

processes that are in an infantile stage.

I have no idea what to expect. I'm HOPING for AMD to release something that just makes sense price/performance so that they don't only get used in AP builds by anyone with a passing knowledge of their products. I would LOVE to say that you could use a Zen CPU instead of an i3 or i5 without any compromise.

AP? Armor piercing?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

we'll see in 9-16 months. the rumor mills are just flaring up and getting a lot of

panties in a bunch over hearsay, phenomenal unmarked graphs and unknown

methodology of said "increases" in un-named testing, application data and node

processes that are in an infantile stage.

Wat.

• 2 weeks later...

AP? Armor piercing?

Hehe, I wish, I meant APU x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I'm considering getting a new CPU but a lot of people are saying wait for the new Zen processors, will they be any good? Wasn't there a lot of hype with Bullbozer CPU but they failed to live up to it?

Can you predict the future or know anyone who cans? Then it is impossible to know. I'm expecting them to Rock tho.

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Hard to say, I am not holding my breath.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm considering getting a new CPU but a lot of people are saying wait for the new Zen processors, will they be any good? Wasn't there a lot of hype with Bullbozer CPU but they failed to live up to it?

Who said you should wait for Zen and why?

Zen will probably have a hard time beating Skylake and they'll release it in 2017 I think, so until then Intel will release the next CPUs.

We don't know.

Who said you should wait for Zen and why?

Zen will probably have a hard time beating Skylake and they'll release it in 2017 I think, so until then Intel will release the next CPUs.

Depending on the price though, it may still be worth it for people who can only afford so much.

"Rawr XD"