AMD Zen

@Prysin Can you please shut this guy down?

why won't you do it yourself? what is wrong in what i said? you think zen will outperfom skylake and will sell for 150$ or what? you believe in santa claus?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

why won't you do it yourself? what is wrong in what i said? you think zen will outperfom skylake and will sell for 150$ or what? you believe in santa claus?

Are you nuts??? I never said that. Learn to read. I said it'll perform at Haswell levels quite easily and retail at a fair price as well. $150 bucks for a high performance CPU is bloody ridiculous. 

Mmmmm. I doubt Intel will make Kabylake a performance monster and by the time Icelake is scheduled to come out, Zen+ is gonna be dropping with a further 15% in IPC improvement over Zen. They might be able to start trading blows with Intel when Zen+ comes out. 

That is the thing, believe it or not, it is not about performance... it is about money.  Regardless of what AMD brings to the table, Intel has what AMD does not:  money.

That is the thing, believe it or not, it is not about performance... it is about money. Regardless of what AMD brings to the table, Intel has what AMD does not: money.

End topic. This right here.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I said it'll perform at Haswell levels quite easily and retail at a fair price as well.

then that we agree upon and it's exactly what i said...if AMD can pull this off...as @SteveGrabowski0 and I said, if they can do this...then home run done deal it's nice.

i don't understand why you got up on your grand chevaux and started bitching about it, it's EXACTLY what i said, down to a tee:

agree, as i said...199$ USD, 6 cores, unlocked...match haswell IPC (even a couple percent slower would still do it for many users out there)...booom done deal. (do you really see such a thing happening is the question though, do you believe in santa-claus?)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

End topic. This right here.

Really sucks... and deep inside I want AMD's CPU line to flourish.

then that we agree upon and it's exactly what i said...if AMD can pull this off...as @SteveGrabowski0 and I said, if they can do this...then home run done deal it's nice.

i don't understand why you got up on your grand chevaux and started bitching about it, it's EXACTLY what i said, down to a tee:

An i7 6700K retails for 400 USD. You can bet your ass that AMD will price their quad core model somewhere close to that. I have a problem with you thinking that AMD will sell a Haswell level chip that has six cores for 200 dollars. That's never gonna happen. 

I hope AMD is able to claw back enough of the market share so they can handle fighting Intel. They've fought and won against Intel with a much smaller R&D budget and I think they might be able to do it again. 

That is the thing, believe it or not, it is not about performance... it is about money.  Regardless of what AMD brings to the table, Intel has what AMD does not:  money.

Its not fair. 

I hope AMD is able to claw back enough of the market share so they can handle fighting Intel. They've fought and won against Intel with a much smaller R&D budget and I think they might be able to do it again. 

Ugh... I won't even attempt to predict it.  We can wait and see... but the money... the money.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75820k

6 core with HT, $400 and Intel can drop the price at a moment's notice and not even hiccup.

Do you remember what the 9XXX FX CPU price was at launch?  That was desperation.  @TechGod

Me too, if for no other reason than a healthy source of debate lol. Could you imagine if the 300 line of GPUs sucked? What would we talk about? LOL

Ugh... I won't even attempt to predict it. We can wait and see... but the money... the money.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75820k

6 core with HT, $400 and Intel can drop the price at a moment's notice and not even hiccup.

Do you remember what the 9XXX FX CPU price was at launch? That was desperation. @TechGod

1000 dollars wasn't it? It was stupid.

Oh well. I'll buy Zen if it gets Haswell level performance. I'm a big fan of AM4 being a unified socket/chipset as opposed to Intel's X99 and Z170 BS.

well theoretically, if all AMDs predictions about excavator and ZEN lining up. cuz they claim Zen is 40% faster then excavator... and the end result rides on whether Excavator really is 30% faster then steamroller... cuz if it aint, ZEN will be just about as good as Ivy Bridge...

Personally, doing the math, if we ignore what AMD said and aim lower, i think ZEN will be between Ivy and Haswell. Maybe closer to Haswell then Ivy...

in theory, like wild wild theory, they CAN catch up to Skylake. But increasing their core performance by 80% in ONE generation.

NOPE, aint happening.

Me too, if for no other reason than a healthy source of debate lol. Could you imagine if the 300 line of GPUs sucked? What would we talk about? LOL

I remember the ruckus about the "rebrand"... scared me a bit until I saw the numbers.  I thought the GTX 970 range ($300) was going to stay in Nvidia's corner.

I remember the ruckus about the "rebrand"... scared me a bit until I saw the numbers. I thought the GTX 970 range ($300) was going to stay in Nvidia's corner.

Even though the 300 series just had improved power delivery and a higher clock, that still means it was refresh and not a rebrand.

well theoretically, if all AMDs predictions about excavator and ZEN lining up. cuz they claim Zen is 40% faster then excavator... and the end result rides on whether Excavator really is 30% faster then steamroller... cuz if it aint, ZEN will be just about as good as Ivy Bridge...

Personally, doing the math, if we ignore what AMD said and aim lower, i think ZEN will be between Ivy and Haswell. Maybe closer to Haswell then Ivy...

in theory, like wild wild theory, they CAN catch up to Skylake. But increasing their core performance by 80% in ONE generation.

NOPE, aint happening.

I'm sure it'll perform at Haswell levels. All the improvements they've made just add up to that and if they can't get that level performance and instead get Ivybridge...I don't even want to think how that would happen.

Even though the 300 series just had improved power delivery and a higher clock, that still means it was refresh and not a rebrand.

I was happy to see it (390) as a competitor to the 970 and the 390X to the 980.  We have options!... kinda  :lol: .

I'm sure it'll perform at Haswell levels. All the improvements they've made just add up to that and if they can't get that level performance and instead get Ivybridge...I don't even want to think how that would happen.

Don't do that to yourself.  :D

:P did you see my post edit about Zen and the AM4 socket?

A unified socket on a mythical AM4... that is actually a plus, if/when it is real.  If AMD can keep improving performance while keeping the socket the same for a few gens... that would be quite desirable to consumers.

Might be, but as an owner of both I'll share that they are two different animals. The 390 is a thing of beauty to use, the 290 is nice to look at.

A unified socket on a mythical AM4... that is actually a plus, if/when it is real. If AMD can keep improving performance while keeping the socket the same for a few gens... that would be quite desirable to consumers.

Say two years or so. Ya know how Intel has the B series and the H series and the Z series and the X99 boards etc? And how some chips are overclockable and some aren't? Imagine buying a cheap ass Athlon and over clocking it on your board, then when you have the cash, instead of buying a board that supports the new CPU and it's over clocking like Intel CPUs as well, you just drop in the CPU and it'll simplify things so much....