AMD Zen

So what you guys expect from it? Are somebody from here already saving some money for a new build considering Zen?

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

It wont compare to Intel one bit... just my thoughts

I have no idea what to expect. I'm HOPING for AMD to release something that just makes sense price/performance so that they don't only get used in AP builds by anyone with a passing knowledge of their products. I would LOVE to say that you could use a Zen CPU instead of an i3 or i5 without any compromise.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It probably won't be comparable to skylake, but still a big enough improvement to be relevant. I'm thinking like ivy bridge, haswell.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

how the hell are we soppused to know? I hope it will be awesome and force intel to give us something more than an extra 10% performance every 16 months, but since we know almost nothing about it yet it could really be anything.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Probably going to suck.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Bulldozer was a disappointment. I expect to be disappointed again.

They should put their high end GPU die on high end CPUs then I'd consider buying.

I ain't a psychic ... So I'm gonna wait ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

The hope is that it'll match Haswell-E, but cheaper.  That way 8c/16t can be more of the $400-$600, and 10c/20t or 12c/24t is the $1000 / $1500 mark.  If it is Haswell-E speed -and- pricing - it will be a failure.  Even if it is an update and people will buy it and use it for a few years.  It'll be a flop.  If they can get 8 cores that OC well, with Haswell-E performance, and at $400 / $600.  They win that go around.  Even if Skylake-E is faster by a few percent.  Zen'll probably still have better price to performance.  Hopefully Zen puts AMD back on the map and someone like Microsoft gobbles them up and injects them with the ability to stay around a decade longer and churn out success after success.  

What is the zen?

I would expect it to be reasonably competitive with some 4th gen i7s, and not sure about launch price, but I could see the price either coming out really competitive or quickly being forced down to be competitive. If they can make a $250-$300 unthusiast class CPU, that should help the market a good amount, and will make decisions much more complex regarding builds, since right now it's basically:

Do you have more than $150? ---> Intel

Do you have $120-$150?         ---> FX looks good, but i3 if you need single core

Do you have <$120?                ---> AMD, unless you only need like 2 cores somehow.

I hope that changes soon.

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

It can't be that bad. I mean, Piledriver is still around. Sure, it isn't competitive with Haswell, but what do you expect? Two newer CPU architectures have been released since then, namely Steamroller and Excavator, each with their own improvements. They've now reached the end of the line in terms of what the earthmover-series of CPUs had to offer and probably learned a thing or two. Zen will be a three-generation jump for their performance desktop line, and so has every chance of becoming as good as we hope it will be.

Now, they've learned that focussing too much on the low-end was a bad idea. They've learned that clustered multithreading was not as efficient as hyperthreading. Incremental improvements to scheduler and branch prediction performance will keep coming, and newer instruction set extensions will be implemented. This is probably their last chance to stay remotely relevant as a company and with the current staff they actually have a decent chance to get it right this time. Meanwhile everyone is struggling to get lithographies smaller and smaller so Intel's lead in manufacturing technology will become less of a problem than it has been recently. AMD have been known to make poor decisions though so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

So far we very little info about zen, but I expect some sort of comeback from AMD

Given that AMD are going back to their roots architecture but doing it at 16nm, I expect to see either a very powerful APU where most of the die space is allocated to the GPU, or a true CPU without any iGPU that is comparable to a 5960x. If AMD try to go the quad core with hyper-threading route, there will be no reason to upgrade, but all signs so far point to an 8-core multi-threaded mainstream flagship, and a 16-core with multi-threading server cpu.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Gonna be an upgrade from Phenom II unlike FX.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

at this point i've replaced "expecting" with "hoping"...

and that counts for AMD, intel, and nvidia.

I'm just hoping that they keep things competitive, just so that us consumers are happy

• 4 weeks later...

Intel Kaby lake will be released by the time Zen is released in late 2016 so I would say going by history it will perform about 10% slower then the intel CPU at the same price range. AMD make great products but they never perform like they claim they will. look at the Fury graphics cards and what a heap of crap they are. 

I hope it won't be cheap. AMD usually price their CPUs at high end until no one buys them. See the 9590 at 1000$ at launch and now around 250-300$. And they packed it in a very small package the size of two CPUs. That shows their care. I hope the upcoming ones will be powerful at the least

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

I'm really hoping for option 1, but I bet it'll be either 4 or 5. Just please... don't be 6. Please. For the sake of the consumers, don't be 6.....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I dont think Zen will be Ultra extreme High end CPU so it will not beat intel

I like AMD but the truth is that Intel has better high end CPUs. What Im expecting is going to happen Zen will be "bit of everything". New features never seen before, 

"Going to be better than intel on performance" - Is a stupid "poll answer"

Since AMD dont have any High end CPU does that mean Intel is better in performance?

Well, considering everyone blaming the new cpu's that come out in every single way and try to convince people to buy old stuff.

I guess everyone will hate Zen when it gets released the same way it was with Haswell-E and Skylake.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

There is a 1% chance a new Athlon 64 will happen, and a 99% chance an Intel catch up will happen. I still doubt AMD will reach Intel's single thread performance.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I dont think Zen will be Ultra extreme High end CPU so it will not beat intel

I like AMD but the truth is that Intel has better high end CPUs. What Im expecting is going to happen Zen will be "bit of everything". New features never seen before, 

"Going to be better than intel on performance" - Is a stupid "poll answer"

Since AMD dont have any High end CPU does that mean Intel is better in performance?

i hope this changes soon