timed exclusives (Rise of the Tomb Raider) - who the F*** are you kidding!?

xCSMI23.png

press release:

SQUARE ENIX ANNNOUNCES RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER DESTINED FOR WINDOWS 10 AND STEAM IN EARLY 2016 AND PLAYSTATION 4 IN HOLIDAY 2016

Next Chapter in Critically Acclaimed and Award-Winning Series Coming to New Platforms in 2016

REDWOOD CITY, CA (JULY 23, 2015) – Square Enix today announced its latest title in the critically acclaimed and award-winning Tomb Raider® series, Rise of the Tomb Raider ®, will be available for Windows 10 and Steam in early 2016. The game will be a console exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360 for one year after its initial launch, coming to PlayStation® 4 (PS4) in Holiday 2016. Renowned developer Crystal Dynamics, a Square Enix studio, is leading development in the latest entry in the iconic series for additional platforms.

In the critically acclaimed Tomb Raider, Lara Croft survived a harrowing experience only to be discredited as part of a cover up. Now, after uncovering an ancient mystery, Lara must explore the most treacherous and remote regions of Siberia to find the secret of immortality before a ruthless organization known as Trinity. Lara must use her wits and survival skills, form new alliances, and ultimately embrace her destiny as the Tomb Raider.

Experience high-octane action moments, conquer beautifully hostile environments, engage in brutal guerrilla combat, and explore awe-inspiring deadly tombs in the evolution of survival action. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara becomes more than a survivor as she embarks on her first great Tomb Raiding expedition.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will premiere first, exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360 on November 10, 2015.

---

SQ is getting payed by MS to actively delay the game release for PS4 and PC, almost an entire year for PS4 - for no other reason than cash; and it hurts your brain when you recall SQ complained that TR 2013 didn't sold as expected .. and now they sign a exclusivity deal to cope with it!? WTF!!

is there any technical reason why the game can't be released on PC and or PS4 simultaneously with XB1? none that I can see or think of

is MS gonna sell more consoles because of this timed exclusivity? arguably, yes; but knowing Tomb Raider (2013) sold globally as of 20th Jun 2015 on all platforms (PS3, PS4, X360, XB1, PC) 5.88 million copies - that includes the "Definitive Edition"

to put things into perspective on how dumb MS is (this is not a marketing move), they have sold 13 mil XB1 consoles globally compared to SONY's 23.58 million PS4s; while previous generation: PS3 85.77 million, X360 84.90 million

the real kicker is SQ is planning the release (XB1) the same day as Fallout 4  <_< wow!

Glad to know we're still getting the game  ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

It happens all the time, it's called competition and marketing.

EDIT: Meh, maybe not all the time, but it happens :)

Edited by Wauthar

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

At least we're getting the game, at first the news was we wouldn't get it at all, and it would be a X1 exclusive xD

Still sucks though... Not gonna lie though, the last TR game wasn't exactly a TR game, it was more like Last of Us, Tomb Raider edition.

can't wait for actually being able to, dare I say, Raid Tombs again :D

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

i hated their last game a lot due to quick time effects do this one can f off for all i care.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

SquareEnx?

More like ShillEnix

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

This isn't really a new thing. Timed exclusives have been around for a very long time. 

The first time I ever encountered them, was with the CoD: MW2 DLCs. I think Microsoft had a 6 month exclusive on those. 

And yes, both the developer and Microsoft does this for the money. Having something first is a big selling point.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

SQ is getting payed by MS to actively delay the game release for PS4 and PC, for almost an entire year

will be available for Windows 10 and Steam in early 2016

exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360 on November 10, 2015.

How is that one year later on PC?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I do believe pretty much all DX12 games will only launch in Q1 of 2016, maybe with a few exceptions. Honestly I'm positively surprised that TR will be out so soon after on PC, and I look forward to it. As for PS4, yeah only money is the reason, but there is no reason to be angry about that; remember that it WILL come out on PS4 at least, which is better than actual exclusive games.

We don't know if the PC delay is because of time exclusive or because time and effort where focused on XBONE release. I wonder if TR will also be DX11 though. Hope we will see most games be DX12 exclusive from now on.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The only new information from this is the length of the deal. It was announced as an XB1 exclusive last year and even back then it was known that it was only a timed exclusive. The last game had a huge amount of critic and consumer praise but didn't meet SE's stupidly high expectations and fucking insane marketing budget. The game didn't reach a break even point until the Definitive Edition. MS probably got a timed exclusive deal for a pretty decent price due to that.

Square Enix back in 2013 was complaining and expressed their disappointment that the first one didn't sell as much as they hoped (even though it sold millions of it).

And then they go do a timed exclusive for this one?

It really hurts my brain trying to understand the logic that goes on in the corporate world...

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

How is that one year later on PC?

for PS4, yes it's almost one year

I don't think I got around to playing the last Tomb Raider until earlier this year. Been slowly working through my back-catalog of steam games. Will likely get around to playing next tomb raider by 2017. No way in hell am I buying a console to play a game early at 30FPS.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Square Enix back in 2013 was complaining and expressed their disappointment that the first one didn't sell as much as they hoped (even though it sold millions of it).

And then they go do a timed exclusive for this one?

It really hurts my brain trying to understand the logic that goes on in the corporate world...

It didn't sell what they expected because they were fucking idiots and thought they could spend millions on marketing to have it reach COD levels. Part of these timed-exclusive deals includes co-marketing, meaning MS is going to pay for a good chunk of the marketing budget for this title as well as handing over money.

Citations please.

Also, notice how they are saying "timed console exclusive", meaning that the PC will not be directly affected by the exclusivity deal. It very much looks like a middle finger pointed straight at the PlayStation user-base.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

for PS4, yes it's almost one year

I know but you said for both so was thinking you got the dates mixed and wanted to double check. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If it is there for Xbox 360 why not for PS3 ?

To #PCGamingMAsterRace: I want a gaming pc, but no money  :( So PS3 for now !

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

This isn't exactly new news (they announced it would be a timed exclusive last year) but from what I heard SE wasn't too keen on doing a follow up anyway until MS came along with a cash injection, if MS has to pony up to get a game out I don't have a problem with them negotiating some benefit especially when they are still letting it come out on PS and PC.

meh for PC it's the usual few months AAA wait* that we've been getting with some games, if it runs as well as tomb raider 2013 then I can deal with that.

*that being either a later launch or getting the stuff working like in ac unity

Definition of irony- bribing game developers to keep games off your own platform.

So wierd. Windows belongs to Microsoft. And they do this...

Definition of irony- bribing game developers to keep games off your own platform.

So wierd. Windows belongs to Microsoft. And they do this...

To repeat, this does not affect the PC platform; this is a timed console exclusive, making the PS4 the singled out loser of the deal.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

To repeat, this does not affect the PC platform; this is a timed console exclusive, making the PS4 the singled out loser of the deal.

err the Xbox version comes out in November this year. Well ahead of the PC version

almost a year? that sucks for PS4 users :/

here on PC it's normal to wait; not acceptable, but normal :'(

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

The pc version release date is pretty good (could have been alot worse). 

meh for PC it's the usual few months AAA wait* that we've been getting with some games, if it runs as well as tomb raider 2013 then I can deal with that.

*that being either a later launch or getting the stuff working like in ac unity

Nixxes is doing the pc version again (they are doing the ps4 version also) so it should be a decent pc port.