Windows 10 mobile minimum specs are insanely low

Bloodyvalley
Microsoft is aiming to make its Windows 10 Mobile platform run smoother than butter on its smartphones and tablets because the minimum hardware requirements to run the upcoming operating system are insanely low. In fact, these minimum hardware requirements are so low, they make Windows 8.1 Mobile seem like an insanely taxing operating system.

Windows 10 Hardware Specifications Include 512 MB RAM As Minimum Amount Of Memory Required

According to the details present on Microsoft’s website, smartphones that are going to be updated to Windows 10 will require a minimum of 512 MB RAM for the platform to be compatible. However, 1 GB RAM or higher will be required for mobile devices that will be running Windows 10 IoT Mobile. Moving on, 4 GB of flash storage will be required to install the platform on to the mobile device.

Details on the type of flash storage required has been stated below:

“Devices that run Windows 10 Mobile must include a minimum of 4 GB of nonremovable flash storage, and they must implement a flash storage system using an eMMC or UFS and optional SD card. See section 6.7.3 for additional requirements for the micro SD card slot. The eMMC must use a 512-byte sector size and be configured with a minimum 512 KB Replay Protected Memory Block (RPMB). The UFS must use a 4K sector size and be configured with a minimum 512 KB Replay Protected Memory Block (RPMB). The layout of the flash system store is specified by Microsoft and the SoC vendor. OEMs must not add partitions or remove partitions from this layout.”

While this is all really technical, the crux of the requirement is that you cannot install Windows 10 on your MicroSD card and will need 4 GB of flash memory vacant on your Windows phone. Given below are images stating which mobile chipsets will be compatible with Windows 10. Additionally, there is also an image that states the amount of RAM required depending on the total amount of pixels that are going to be rendered from the device. The higher the resolution, the more RAM is going to be required.

adadadadadad-635x501.png
aad-635x121.png

hope it'll be good

and this is a very good thing! more people on the platform like they want it to be

my phone can't run that (its a huawei g510)

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

i'm hoping in the future phones will just be like prebuilt pocket computers, and we'll be able to install any OS we want.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

well they are trying to emphasize their place in the budget market, and x86 Intel chips are supported!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

That's not "insane" in the slightest, there are desktop linux os's like lubuntu that can do everything windows can minus gaming that use about 100mb of RAM on average. When will Microsoft realize that python is the most bloated coding language out there?

"I inserted my graphics processing unit into her peripheral computer interface slot."

That's not "insane" in the slightest, there are desktop linux os's like lubuntu that can do everything windows can minus gaming that use about 100mb of RAM on average. When will Microsoft realize that python is the most bloated coding language out there?

functionality of Linux is very limited, not as user-friendly at all

5. Signatures & Profiles

• Signature information must adhere to these guidelines:
  • No signature will exceed 3 lines in length on a 1080p screen.
  • No signature will ask for reputation, likes, stars or any such ego-enhancing things.
  • No signature shall have an image.
  • No signature shall be animated in any way, avatars are allowed to be animated for now. Avatars must not contain any rapid and sharp color changes (flashing, blinking, etc.) as these can cause epileptic seizures.
  • Do not manually type in a signature or sign-off at the end of every post; signatures are only allowed using the built-in signature function.
  • Do not increase font size beyond size 14.
  • Signatures are text only

I think you just described windows mobile. 

*shots fired*

don't give a shit about windows mobile

I'm saying that Linux is not as big as Windows. In Linux you have to use Terminal and crap, with Windows, it's all integrated within the UI.

........................................................thats the topic though 

and it was 99% a joke mate 

And this is one of the many reasons why Windows Phone is so optimized. The $30 Lumia 521, which only has 512MB of RAM and a 1GHz dual core CPU, runs butter smooth, almost as good as my G3! No lie!

COMIC SANS

I'm saying that Linux is not as big as Windows. In Linux you have to use Terminal and crap, with Windows, it's all integrated within the UI.

Wow.... you must have so much knowledge of operating systems... 

-written from my terminal and crap

And when we take it to phones(what the article is about) we see the linux based android get more and more RAM, hell give it 1-2years until phones come out with 6gb+ of RAM, i call it right here if not we i will be ashamed and confirm that by doing something embarising.

I know you are comparing pc OSes, though the article/topic was based on phones. There indeed are linux distros that use a low amount of ram, but to call these good or plug and play? Not really though.

Bit more on topic:

Can u guys remember when bill gates said that pc's would never require more then 256KB(or was it MB?) of ram? Looks like times truelly changed.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You can do that on Windows too just go install XP and it'll use around 50 MB RAM and less if you configure it to.

The reason those Linux distros run so low on RAM is because they strip out tons of functionality and components that use RAM.

That's like taking a Toyota Carolla and claiming its better than a Nissan GTR because its more fuel efficient.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

functionality of Linux is very limited, not as user-friendly at all

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT!? Please just do your research man... About the user-friendly thing I kinda agree to some small extend, but the functionality... You got it all wrong!

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

You can do that on Windows too just go install XP and it'll use around 50 MB RAM and less if you configure it to.

The reason those Linux distros run so low on RAM is because they strip out tons of functionality and components that use RAM.

That's like taking a Toyota Carolla and claiming its better than a Nissan GTR because its more fuel efficient.

Actually lightweight linux distros like Lubuntu, only take away some of the resource-intensive UI effects. Unless you absolutely need all the eye-candy, they do not lack any functionality at all. Also, Windows is getting quite heavy to run, because MS is keeping all the legacy stuff in there while also adding new things... I feel like they need to cut out some of the old fat from Windows...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT!? Please just do your research man... About the user-friendly thing I kinda agree to some small extend, but the functionality... You got it all wrong!

Just to jump in, he does seem uneducated about Linux but functionality depends on the context really.

When it comes to content creation Windows and OS X are far ahead. When it comes to gaming Windows still leads by a ton. When it comes to versatility in custom enterprise environments Linux leads. But there are pros and cons to all OSes really. There is no single OS that is perfect at everything.

It is fair to say the strengths of Linux are not in the consumer/end-user segment.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Just to jump in, he does seem uneducated about Linux but functionality depends on the context really.

When it comes to content creation Windows and OS X are far ahead. When it comes to gaming Windows still leads by a ton. When it comes to versatility in custom enterprise environments Linux leads. But there are pros and cons to all OSes really. There is no single OS that is perfect at everything.

It is fair to say the strengths of Linux are not in the consumer/end-user segment.

Yeah true that every OS has its strengths, but functionality is a VERY VERY general term and saying Linux is less functional than other OSes is beyond ignorant ;)

-snip-

Bit more on topic:

Can u guys remember when bill gates said that pc's would never require more then 256KB(or was it MB?) of ram? Looks like times truelly changed.

There's no proof that Bill Gates ever actually said that (And, FYI, the original myth is that he said computers will not need more than 640k of memory).

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2534312/operating-systems/the--640k--quote-won-t-go-away----but-did-gates-really-say-it-.html

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/08/640k-enough/

There's no compelling evidence that he ever said it. Basically, some shoddy journalist just made a quote up that sounded "edgy" and printed it - which forever immortalized the quote. People will now believe it, because it appeared in some newsprint 20 years ago, despite there never being any actual source for that.

Some attribute the original actual statement to an IBM engineer, but in any case, odds are that Gates in fact never said such a thing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

and I'm sitting here using up 2GB of ram at idle on windows 7

and I'm sitting here using up 2GB of ram at idle on windows 7

Most of that RAM is cached and reserved. If you open up a program that will use more than what you have "free", some of that 2GB will be released as needed.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Probably going to be a lot smoother and usable compare to its android counterpart, specs by specs. 

Probably going to be a lot smoother and usable compare to its android counterpart, specs by specs. 

That's basically already the case with current phones and Android vs WP8.1.

It's awesome really, they'll make it able to have you OS like on PC on phone and switch displays and PC hardware when you need.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |