does anybody regret buying an expansive pc for gaming?

saiftech

i really wanna buy a pc but its so expansive and i feel that i might regret it, everyone is telling me that im going to regret buying a pc  for gaming everyone is telling me i that i should instead buy a jetski and maybe also a German shepherd dog and telling me that if i buy a pc then basically il have no life cause im always going to be at home gaming instead of going out having fun and having fun at the beach with the jetski 

my pc spec that i want has

i7-4790k

GTX 980ti G1

16GB of RAM

256GB samsung pro

1TB

and also the ASUS ROG SWIFT monitor that has 1440p, G-sync, 144hz, 1ms

all of these cost 3000 dollars where i live and i can use that money instead to buy a used stand up jetski and a dog and might also have left overs to buy my parents gifts

so what do you guys think i should do?

do you guys ever regret buying an expansive pc just for gaming let me know

no. it was only the case i regretted, but I fixed that problem by simply selling it and getting a new one.

Maybe just get some cheaper components and have a balance :)

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

For THEM jetsking and having a active dog is fun, if you enjoy gaming on PC do that! You do you.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I slightly regret my gaming pc because I just needed something to play some games with decent frames and decent graphics. Instead I blew 1k on my pc. Yeah that's not a lot but it's kinda overkill for my situation.

I feel a little guilty when I'm not gaming, but otherwise no. I like having an extremely fast and reliable computer even if it's just for general use and playing old games.

That's just like any other question lol. Buy a Mercedes or BMW, do you regret it? Was it worth it? You can't really ask other people but yourself. Everyone has different views on that.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Just give yourself a $500-700 budget and see what you come up with. Remember, there's always eBay!

Not really. I was shocked to say the least when I added up the cost for my rig + setup at 4500 CAD but I utilize the performance for a lot of personal projects that may allow me get my investment back.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Nope. I'm glad I spent every penny. I love my PC.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

i really wanna buy a pc but its so expansive and i feel that i might regret it, everyone is telling me that im going to regret buying a pc  for gaming everyone is telling me i that i should instead buy a jetski and maybe also a German shepherd dog and telling me that if i buy a pc then basically il have no life cause im always going to be at home gaming instead of going out having fun and having fun at the beach with the jetski 

my pc spec that i want has

i7-4790k

GTX 980ti G1

16GB of RAM

256GB samsung pro

1TB

and also the ASUS ROG SWIFT monitor that has 1440p, G-sync, 144hz, 1ms

all of these cost 3000 dollars where i live and i can use that money instead to buy a used stand up jetski and a dog and might also have left overs to buy my parents gifts

so what do you guys think i should do?

do you guys ever regret buying an expansive pc just for gaming let me know

Don't get the swift, asus has a new 1080p 144hz ips display that linus made a video on recently or something, sure it doesn't have G-Sync, but it is an IPS panel, so good color reproduction!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's funny actually, I started upgrading my PC slowly over the course of about 4 months from January through April earlier this year -- over that time it felt like it was worth it as I was testing a lot of the new components I was getting while playing games. After I was finished upgrading the rig completely (it's practically a new machine now actually) I eased off the gaming, going weeks, or even a month at a time not gaming.

Go figure.

Nope, never regretted it. 

Infact, shortly here I'm dumping even MORE cash into a new system for 4k gaming, soooooooo... yea.

But, i make my living off of computers, games, and tech; so going to the local tech shop and to pickup a fan, or cooling unit, or the like, and getting to browse through all the wonderful motherboards and graphics cards they have setup is like going to the movies for me. Yea, I'm a tech guy, soooo, take that into consideration.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If you don't want to spend 3 grand (hell, neither would I), you can always getting a cheaper and less powerful gaming rig, and upgrade as time goes on

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

If you are smart with your money, and budget your life for you PC more because it is something you have a passion for, then owning an expensive one isn't so bad. Comfort comes when you can afford things and still be fine even if it becomes worthless the next day.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

i really wanna buy a pc but its so expansive and i feel that i might regret it

Try to know ^^

the parts i bought for 700$ last year 

u can now buy them for 350$

Tech gets less expensive as it gets old, so it will always be that an year later your tech will be crap and for the same cost you can now buy st hmuch better... 

Maybe just get some cheaper components and have a balance :)

This is actually a good solution ^^

For THEM jetsking and having a active dog is fun, if you enjoy gaming on PC do that! You do you.

And with this second message is shown the good part of the LTT community, thank you for restoring my faith :D

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

I do

why? because games limitation it self.

also I like to trade and swap my hardware all the time

I rarely game but when I do, I enjoy it like a kid with an F1 so do I regret of course not but yeah all depends on your money situation. 

No one is going to? Alright, I guess I get to be that guy.

Yes, I truly regretted how expansive my computer was. That's why I built an ITX one.

The jetski? Maybe. How it went for my family is that we got a jetski. The first year we had it, we used it a lot, it was great fun. The second year, we took it out occasionally and still had fun with it. The third year and after? It mostly sits in our garage gathering dust. It gets taken out a couple times a year, but that's mostly for friends/relatives that want to use it.

Point is, it all depends on what you enjoy. If you enjoy gaming then you can't really say it's a bad investment. I built a gaming pc and love it. I get to game and stress it enough to make it worthwhile to me. If my parents or siblings were to have bought it? Probably a terrible investment, they don't enjoy pc gaming like I do and could easily get away with something much cheaper.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Personally I don't regret buying/building my gaming PC but it isn't going to be the same for everyone. Some people just like consoles better and thats ine but for thoes who want to take their gaming to the next level PC is really the best way.

My laptop with its Core Duo T2600, 2GB of RAM, 100GB HDD and the Quadro NVS110M was previously the best computer I'd ever used. I upgraded to an i5 4440, 16GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, 240GB SSD and a GTX 970. Do I regret the upgrade? Fuck no, my rig is light years ahead of the laptop in performance (my Xbox Original plays games better than it).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Not really. A little for buying a 760 when the 960 was right around the corner, but whatever.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz)