Minecraft: Windows 10 edition announced, offers enhanced cross platform multiplayer

AlexGoesHigh

For a game of this graphical quality, and the fact that it has been out for years means it should have NO problems. And WTF are they making us buy the game again??

java is a POS these days to make client side software, its the reason you hardly see java games outside of a browser, performance is terrible, also notch itself admitted he coded the game really poorly in the beginning of the project, that is why minecraft runs like garbage, is to complex for the java runtime, also you don't have to buy the game again, i put that in the OP, its free for owners of the normal PC version

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Just bring cross platform and IN GAME LOCAL SERVER HOSTING to the regular Minecraft, and I'll be one happy motherfucker.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I have problems with this game. It runs like total crap. 

Blame the initial creation, Notch for some reason thinks that deving games on Java is a good idea. Imagine how good MC would run with it's low amount of voxels on literally ANY OTHER FREAKING GAME ENGINE.

I don't see why they wouldn't just put these features into the normal PC version. That way these features would be available to all MC PC players, regardless of OS. It's not like they couldn't let you log into Xbox Live on OSX/Linus, right?

but i want to install it on my insider preivew now :( hopefully it works with pc and ps4 so my sister and i can play on two different screens.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

Why do you need a windows 10 version? This just complicates things

Hey man, You got minecraft pc?

yeah man lets play together?

oh you have a os 3 years older than mine? Your shit out of luck, Go play with your un-hip friends

Please read the fucking article before spewing nonsense. I'll spoon-feed you, this Windows 10 version of Minecraft is free for anyone who owns the original PC version, it is also cross platform so you can play with your friends on Xbox/PC/Mobile at the same time with no problems.

Edit - Before you carry on about how you will need Win10, it is free and easy as fuck to install.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I've weighed the pros and cons, and I see nothing good coming from this. Sure, cross-platform could be nice, but last I checked consoles don't support mods so they go right out the window along with my interest in playing the game altogether. The second HUGE issue I see with this is ditching java to make the whole cross-platform thing work. As much as I HATE java, its the only reason Minecraft is so moddable. As it is, the MC modding community is dying off, so I can guarantee that 99% of the pre-existing mods aren't going to bother porting over to Microsoft's new potato game engine. Hell, the modding community is so dead that I'm forced to use v1.7.10 purely for mod support even though 1.8 has been around for almost a year now. If modders can't be bothered to update to a new version of the same game, what makes Microsoft think modders will bother porting to a version that doesn't even use the same game engine? Here's what I think is going to happen: Microsoft will pump out this new W10 version with zero mod support so that they can integrate some sort of online store, completely halt development on the current PC version and leave whats left of the modding community to shrivel up and die. I think they want modders out of the picture because we're the only thing that stand in the way of them selling 'skin packs' for $5 a pop.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I'm starting to worry that Minecraft will become a fragmented mess. We have a version for mobile, pc, consoles and the Raspberry Pi. Most of them have a completely different state of development. The addition of a 5th version doesn't make this any better

I mean most players are eight years old.  Most adults are going to be playing on PC I would think.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I stopped playing minecraft because of all the problems... Now this fuck it I might be done with it

Was thinking "Aw man, cool, but I'll have to buy it again..." Then I saw that it was free for people who already MineCraft, and that had me like: 

c32.png

COMIC SANS

For a game of this graphical quality, and the fact that it has been out for years means it should have NO problems. And WTF are they making us buy the game again??

Your rig explains everything. That FX8370 is the problem. My older Xeon X5450 at 3GHz has no troubles at all running Minecraft with Optifine, shaders and 64bit texturepacks at 1080p with my GTX 970.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'd like to know your logic behind that, its free to upgrade, and not everyone is going to want to 

An extreme majority of PC Minecraft players play on Win7/8 and they are entitled to a free upgrade to Win10 within the first year of launch. If people don't want to use Win10 when tough shit, Win7 will have its support fully dropped in 2020 like XP and there isn't any benefit from staying on Win7 since you can upgrade for free to Win10 which does everything Win7 does but better, and if you don't like the interface you can change it to look pretty much like Win7 if you need.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I'd choose this over Java any day.

Finally an C++/C# (choose your favorite version) port of the Java code.

Optimization probably got a big boost with the port.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

An extreme majority of PC Minecraft players play on Win7/8 and they are entitled to a free upgrade to Win10 within the first year of launch. If people don't want to use Win10 when tough shit, Win7 will have its support fully dropped in 2020 like XP and there isn't any benefit from staying on Win7 since you can upgrade for free to Win10 which does everything Win7 does but better, and if you don't like the interface you can change it to look pretty much like Win7 if you need.

How ever, Windows 10 is a lot less attractive literally because of the straight up ugly GUI that is optimized for mobile devices (seriously, its not that difficult to keep the aero theme as an option), and the removal of most multimedia functionality. Then there is the overall difference in the location of everything as well-with some settings requiring you to go through several menus more than you would have previously with Windows 7.

I'd choose this over Java any day.

Finally an C++/C# (choose your favorite version) port of the Java code.

Optimization probably got a big boost with the port.

As long as the game goes back to being more GPU heavy than CPU heavy-or just becomes more balanced (and as long as it works on at least 2 cores/threads properly).

PMSL

How ever, Windows 10 is a lot less attractive literally because of the straight up ugly GUI that is optimized for mobile devices (seriously, its not that difficult to keep the aero theme as an option), and the removal of most multimedia functionality. Then there is the overall difference in the location of everything as well-with some settings requiring you to go through several menus more than you would have previously with Windows 7..

I agree with your frustration of no Aero, I'm certain if it hasn't been done already the same people who hacked Aero into Win8 will be doing the same for Win10.

Unlike Win8, Win10 isn't focused at just touch screen so it is actually usable, you don't need to memorise the location things since the search function works really well as long as you get the name right. I do also agree with the convolution of the settings menu, having to go through several menus when we didn't have to in previous iterations is annoying but I'm willing to overlook that when considering the overall benefits of Win10.

Spoiler

I have this feeling MS wants to try to sell skins on their store like on the console version.

they sell them on the xbox? How much? O.o

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Your rig explains everything. That FX8370 is the problem. My older Xeon X5450 at 3GHz has no troubles at all running Minecraft with Optifine, shaders and 64bit texturepacks at 1080p with my GTX 970.

You serious? My cpu is not a problem. Your just a typical "All AMD cpus are crap and no-one should use them". 

this is why I bought it. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

You serious? My cpu is not a problem. Your just a typical "All AMD cpus are crap and no-one should use them". 

this is why I bought it. 

I did not say that you shouldn't buy it-they all have a purpose, the problem is the low single threaded performance, which is critical in nearly all games and especially Minecraft. The single threaded performance is why your having problemsI don't think all AMD CPU's are crap BTW, I think that the ones before the FX line were awesome (got a Phenom II P920 in my laptop-its a lot better than my old Core Duo T2600 and Core 2 Duo T7600), and that the CMT architecture should have stayed in the server market, instead of being bought to the average consumer who get mislead by the Tek Syndicate videos. @i_build_nanosuits upgraded from an FX 8*** and he knows exactly how badly they can perform. Also, look at the cinebench thread.

PMSL

Awesome local mulitplayer was my main problem with PC version of Mincraft.

I just hope that you can still mod it because I can't play Mincraft without my pretty shader and texture mods.

You can't mod it, at least not yet just because it is based on pocket edition which uses C++

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't play it but I always appreciate games offering cross-platform play. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I wonder if Microsoft will make it touch friendly support, for Windows powered tablet.

That would make another game I can play on the my long bus trip to work.

[edit] Yes it will :)[/edit]

It's basically just the pocket edition and console edition framework ported to PC. They just added mouse and keyboard controls to the engine, and modified the game a bit, and boom. W10 edition

Might actually play it if it's not java. Some good mods would make it worth it.

It's C++

They're ruining all the old mods in order to make the new mods fantastic

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

That has nothing to do with it played Mc since it came out in the alpha days on a older amd system than that and it runs fine, did I say I mod the shit out of it, so much that it uses 9gb of ram on eyefinity....

You can't mod it, at least not yet just because it is based on pocket edition which uses C++

That's actually great if it runs on C++ it should not only run far better but also should allow for better modding unless they blocked it with something.

they sell them on the xbox? How much? O.o

They sell player skins for a few bucks on the console version as well as texture packs.

RTX2070OC