Minecraft: Windows 10 edition announced, offers enhanced cross platform multiplayer

AlexGoesHigh

Ah yea, reminds me of the good ol days back when MC was in a never-ending beta state.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Will Xbox 360 be supported? I have a slight feeling it won't.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Will Xbox 360 be supported? I have a slight feeling it won't.

Probs only W10 Xbox and PC.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Ok I'm gonna be that guy who asks this but,
Why don't they just update the PC version to do all this? Why not have Minecraft update 2.0 be a complete rewrite like this seems to be, and have it able to import/convert your worlds?
Why does it have to be "Windows 10" edition? - Thats basically the main thing, why Windows 10? I know too many people who hated Windows 8, and felt burnt on the Xbox One that they do not trust new Microsoft products. Its also unreasonable to expect everybody to update to Windows 10 just to make Minecraft not run like shit.

Side note on Minecraft running like shit: I recently found my first minecraft world on a USB stick and booted up an Alpha build to explore my old base. First thing I noted was how the game ran so much better back then.

That's actually great if it runs on C++ it should not only run far better but also should allow for better modding unless they blocked it with something.

Nice to see them get away from Java, but would've preferred C#. :(

Ok I'm gonna be that guy who asks this but,

Why don't they just update the PC version to do all this? Why not have Minecraft update 2.0 be a complete rewrite like this seems to be, and have it able to import/convert your worlds?

Why does it have to be "Windows 10" edition? - Thats basically the main thing, why Windows 10? I know too many people who hated Windows 8, and felt burnt on the Xbox One that they do not trust new Microsoft products. Its also unreasonable to expect everybody to update to Windows 10 just to make Minecraft not run like shit.

Side note on Minecraft running like shit: I recently found my first minecraft world on a USB stick and booted up an Alpha build to explore my old base. First thing I noted was how the game ran so much better back then.

Because nobody likes having users on older versions of their software. Imagine if all resources were spent supporting JUST Windows 10 instead of every 4 other versions.Also, I don't think it can be an update because they are changing their core language. It should just be a new edition, since you would just be deleting your old minecraft anyway (but you shouldn't have to because of all the old mods that make minecraft fun only work on the old minecraft). If you don't trust Microsoft's product, then don't trust Minecraft because Minecraft IS a Microsoft product.

Side note on your Side note: Having less features does make a game perform so much better. Don't see how you expect more features in a game and have the game still run as good...

Hijacking features and games to push people to upgrade? It's nice to know that even on a supposedly "new" Microsoft some shit practices like this persist.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wait wait wait, Linux and OSX support? Minecraft has always had Linux and OSX support but I feel like Microsoft may abandon the non windows 10 version to get people to use Windows 10. Once having most of the player base on Win 10, why continue supporting Linux?

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Because nobody likes having users on older versions of their software. Imagine if all resources were spent supporting JUST Windows 10 instead of every 4 other versions.Also, I don't think it can be an update because they are changing their core language. It should just be a new edition, since you would just be deleting your old minecraft anyway (but you shouldn't have to because of all the old mods that make minecraft fun only work on the old minecraft). If you don't trust Microsoft's product, then don't trust Minecraft because Minecraft IS a Microsoft product.

Side note on your Side note: Having less features does make a game perform so much better. Don't see how you expect more features in a game and have the game still run as good...

I guess I didn't write my side note in the tone I was thinking it - My bad. I was more lightheartedly noting that it used to run pretty good, to the extent my laptop could run it fine, but today not really... So I am glad we are getting (Finally) an actual performance improvement! I have doubts I'd be able to run it on my laptop again though -_-.

As for the update thing. I think could be possible, based off how their launcher (I think) works. But even so wouldn't it possible for the update to essentially uninstall the old version and install a completely new program? Or require a new launcher which will ether open a Java application (if you wanna play legacy versions) or a regular EXE (for Minecraft v2.0+). It just seems kinda silly to me to have 2 active editions on the same platform rather than say, make the existing version update to the new standards (even if it means rewriting the thing like they are doing right now). Isn't that how Street fighter and all it's "Super Ultra Mega Hyper Crazy Turbo Arcade EX plus Alpha" editions work these days? Or does it work like how Steam treats Fallout 3, and Fallout 3 GOTY edition as 2 separate games? - To the extent it will redownload and install the whole base game, even if the non GOTY version is already installed.

Maybe I am a bit out of the know with programing languages, but would there be a reason why it couldn't run on Win7 other than say DX12?

It also just seems like more work and more fragmentation to have so many editions of Minecraft. Certain versions are up to date, others aren't, some have items that the other don't exc. How far behind/ahead will the Win10 edition be?

I guess just in my ideal world the PC version would be rewritten, but still work on Win7/8 and every version would be all up to date.

EDIT: Reading more into it, straight from "Mojang_tommo"

OK, since the confusion is already waaay too much:

This version IS pocket edition. It's based on PE, it's C++, and we mean to keep it on par forever.

It is NOT another version of Minecraft!

Also, we're aiming for feature parity! We won't have mods for now, but the important thing is that you know it :)

Also, both PE and Win10 support all controllers :)

Xbox Live is not required. It's compatible, but the 7 people limit is only there because it's PE! It's just that there isn't a dedicated server right now.

Ok so this is an edition made for Win10 Tablets and Phones... Not a PC replacement port. Fair enough.

Though I will say, this was way more confusing then Nintendo's console names.