Mac OS Anti-virus recommendations

Ethnod

So my little sister has Mac's all over the place, well up into that eco system and yet I know nothing and today she has a virus but no protection. And I have no idea what to recommend, I mean I can recommend something like Kaspersky or Sophos as I know them but I do not know anything about how good they operate on Mac or how resource hungry they are.

Any suggestions?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Why would you need one?

You don't

The odds of obtaining a virus on a mac is so slim, people don't waste their time making one.

even on windows you don't need one, 

Never used Protection

never had any problems

i run MBAM once a month thats about it...

So my little sister has Mac's all over the place, well up into that eco system and yet I know nothing and today she has a virus but no protection. And I have no idea what to recommend, I mean I can recommend something like Kaspersky or Sophos as I know them but I do not know anything about how good they operate on Mac or how resource hungry they are.

Any suggestions?

Don't use an AV. You're highly unlikely to get nearly any Mac virus.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Why would you need one?

You don't

The odds of obtaining a virus on a mac is so slim, people don't waste their time making one.

Never used Protection

never had any problems

Well, it depends on the person. For someone somewhat technically inclined and aware, you probably don't, although even then you're still open to malware no matter how aware you are. Same on Mac, you're not immune to malware, it just may be harder to infect Mac OS than it is Windows.

Avast for Mac is pretty good, always handy having anti-virus for scans and such anyway. 

Never heard of Sophos being resource heavy. Always been a lightweight program.

@Arty You don't technically need one on Windows either, but for most people it is best to have one. Mac's may be targeted far less than other platforms, but the viruses that attack Mac OS are usually much more powerful.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Well, it depends on the person. For someone somewhat technically inclined and aware, you probably don't, although even then you're still open to malware no matter how aware you are. Same on Mac, you're not immune to malware, it just may be harder to infect Mac than it is Windows.

Avast for Mac is pretty good, always handy having anti-virus for scans and such anyway. 

True.

Never heard of Sophos being resource heavy. Always been a lightweight program.

@Arty You don't technically need one on Windows either, but for most people it is best to have one. Mac's may be targeted far less than other platforms, but the viruses that attack Mac OS are usually much more powerful.

Very True.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Why would you need one?

You don't

Never used Protection

never had any problems

Macs don't have viruses

Well they do but due to the way software is installed and the overall market share OS X has, there are just less of them. More importantly, there seem to be less viruses now than there was like 5 years ago. As for AV software, try ClamAV.

Macs don't get viruses. 

MBAM, if they even make it for OSX

Don't use an AV. You're highly unlikely to get nearly any Mac virus.

Ok for those that did not read the OP before replying. Its not for me, I do not use Mac OS, know very little. Personally I have not had a AV or FW for like 6-8 years or something and no issues, install and scan every so often but I wipe my OS annually regardless so its not really an issue.

But guys, not for me. For my little sister and she is not technical so YES!!! She does not need a AV

Troll on general or Off Topic plz, I actually really just wanted to help on the AV for Mac OS

P.S: Mac's have been getting Viruses for years and years, not a new thing

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Ok for those that did not read the OP before replying. Its not for me, I do not use Mac OS, know very little. Personally I have not had a AV or FW for like 6-8 years or something and no issues, install and scan every so often but I wipe my OS annually regardless so its not really an issue.

But guys, not for me. For my little sister and she is not technical so YES!!! She does not need a AV

Troll on general or Off Topic plz, I actually really just wanted to help on the AV for Mac OS

P.S: Mac's have been getting Viruses for years and years, not a new thing

As I said (and I was serious) you do not need an AV.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Explain to me how someone who is not technical, will click on any crap online and has no awareness on what is phishing and what is not does not need an AV program?

i recommand bit defender virus scanner, is free, comes through the store(so it is not junk for sure) and works pretty well compared to things like "ICare" which you should avoid because its free version has most things behind a pay wall

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

why take the risk?

I mean, you use a condom to right? even if you don't need one because she uses the pill.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Virus on a Mac is a feature. :P

Symantec has antivirus for Macs.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

why take the risk?

I mean, you use a condom to right? even if you don't need one because she uses the pill.

3 Macs in the house in the last ten years, two still going, none have gotten viruses and let's just say that my parents aren't that bright about sketchy ads on the internet.

Explain to me how someone who is not technical, will click on any crap online and has no awareness on what is phishing and what is not does not need an AV program?

Adblock. :/

Adblock. :/

Go back, read my posts cause you clearly did not read them. Your recommendation does not apply mate. Yes YOU have been fine, as for her... read above

Go back, read my posts cause you clearly did not read them. Your recommendation does not apply mate. Yes YOU have been fine, as for her... read above

Ah, geez... sorry too many tabs

I would use ClamXav, though when I had my old iMac it never found anything, though I never did have issues.

If you REALLY need one get Sophos (e.g: Siblings are gonna use it and click on "win a free iPad"), otherwise you can just go without one

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15