Star Wars-esque 3D holograms--touch hologram in daylight

jos
A lot of work is currently going into creating Star Wars-esque 3D holograms that can be seen by the naked eye without wearing 3D glasses, and now researchers have found a way to make safe, touchable mid-air displays using femtosecond lasers.

It is possible to create holograms in mid-air using a laser-induced plasma display, which works by ionising air molecules so that they release extra energy in the form of bluish-white photons that can be seen easily.

The plasma photons are known as 3D pixels, or rather voxels, and at the moment, the lasers used to make 3D holograms are nanosecond lasers, meaning they fire tens or hundreds of thousands of times per second to heat up specific points of air.

It is not safe to come into contact with such a holographic display, as ionised air molecules will definitely burn human skin.

Instead, Japanese researchers from 3D display firm Aerial Burton and four Japanese universities have found a way to speed up their lasers so that holograms are safe to touch by using femtosecond 1Kh infrared pulsing lasers, which fire every millisecond.

By using femtosecond lasers, the hologram is safe to touch, and you can feel it.

star-wars-hologram.jpg?w=736

Imagine all the dicks floating in the air...

Go Japan!

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Well that's amazing. How expensive is it to make though

If this is real, which I hope it is, then this is probably the coolest technology that is currently in development. I'd even consider it cooler than VR.

Finally, a hologram technology that isn't literally smoke and mirrors.

Oh yea, we're getting closer to sharing some of the goods from the Star Wars franchise. :wub:

Next we gotta get the real version of the Lightsaber!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Star Wars, Star Trek.  Man, this stuff is becoming reality.  Now all we need is a Death Star with a giant American flag on it.  "FREEDOM!"

It's going to be weaponised before we can warn Luke about impending doom.

No F****** Way!

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I can touch Miku :o ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I am actualy surprised how this didnt get much atention as it is freaking awesome!

I wonder when we will see this in stores ... not soon for sure :(:D

I wonder, how long before we get to this point

tumblr_lor3tm6VEq1qi7deco2_500.gif

Won't be long I imagine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I wonder, how long before we get to this point

tumblr_lor3tm6VEq1qi7deco2_500.gif

Won't be long I imagine.

Lol, I knew someone would come up with a sick joke of touching anime's pussies and I can't blame them though xD

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Like they said this will be great for emergency and such.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Imagine all the dicks floating in the air...

Hologram dicks was my first thought too.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313