How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

Hey all,

I recenty ordered all the parts for my first gaming rig and I have to say, waiting for packages never felt so long in my life!  ^_^

I am so excited to start this build! So far, I've only gotten the case. Hopefully I'll be getting 10/13 things tomorrow!

I never felt so happy yet so nervous in my life! Anyways, how was your first building experience?

My first build went badly.

I brought mobo that was dead on arrival, after sending it back with the CPU (Cus i wasn't sure which was dead at the time) they sent he mobo back without the CPU after calling they had to find the cpu

they sent it back to me 

had to finally assemble it over about 1 1/2 weeks waiting time.

It was awesome.

It took about 3 hours (was moving stuff to irrational places and kept moving stuff and taking it out of the antistatic bags and put it in again over and over).

I was sweating like a horse, but I did it with no errors and it was then i thought "Hey, I can totally do this, and faster too.." So I disassembled it again and did it all again xD

This time also with no errors and cut the time down to 1 hour 

I have not yet encountered any DOA hardware (knocking on wood)

I felt extremely happy and couldn't believe it was actually happening. They cherry on top was that everything went smoothly. At first I cared nothing about aesthetics or noise, now that I think about it, my cable management was god fucking awful.

my cable management still is, i spend a long time at work workings with cables at work

97efb541343ec4aa0ab2c494b31fad56.jpg

I just built my first pc, and it was amazing! I was so hyped, and building it was very fun and exciting. Booting it for the first time went smoothly and therefore I felt extreme joy

Super freakin ghetto and amazing :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Quite nicely. I didn't have any major problems except for being super nervous. I was under the impression that ESD happens way easier than it does. :/

Looking back on it now, I would've gotten higher end parts, and would've not been so nervous.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Button clicking on alienware.  xD

Really hope this is joke

Quite nicely. I didn't have any major problems except for being super nervous. I was under the impression that ESD happens way easier than it does. :/

Looking back on it now, I would've gotten higher end parts, and would've not been so nervous.

Yeah same here. I was so worried, specially since I have a pretty pricey build. Got my RAN on Monday and all went well! PC is running amazing!

It was an experience put nicely took 8hrs mostly thanks to fans I have 8 and had to take entire case apart. Then I got mostly done realized some were in backwards.... Then spent forever with cable management. When I was done I had 1 ugly cord that being my h105 power that has to be routed across mobo. When it finally came time to turn it on it didnt work turns out psu dead the whole time. I cussed, cried, and peed alittle.

It was an experience put nicely took 8hrs mostly thanks to fans I have 8 and had to take entire case apart. Then I got mostly done realized some were in backwards.... Then spent forever with cable management. When I was done I had 1 ugly cord that being my h105 power that has to be routed across mobo. When it finally came time to turn it on it didnt work turns out psu dead the whole time. I cussed, cried, and peed alittle.

Bummer. How much longer did it take to get a PSU replacement?

PSU*

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I hope you do or will do builds outside of the case now.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Good because my father is an engineer and electrical engineer. It's kinda fun to, good sense of accomplishment at the end.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Good because my father is an engineer and electrical engineer. It's kinda fun to, good sense of accomplishment at the end.

The feeling of seeing the screen turn on with the MSI Krait logo made my life. Haha. Best feeling ever.

A  freaking nightmare, took over a month to get it all working..... It was a 486 DX/33 though, back in the days before the internet made it easy to find out things. I was so afraid of bricking components. It even had a whole 1MB of ram....

Built my current one about 8 months ago now, and apart from a recalcitrant power supply, and figuring out how to make a UEFI install drive, it was all plug and play. The internet just makes all this stuff easy, that and modern modular components with standardised interfaces.

A freaking nightmare, took over a month to get it all working..... It was a 486 DX/33 though, back in the days before the internet made it easy to find out things. I was so afraid of bricking components. It even had a whole 1MB of ram....

Built my current one about 8 months ago now, and apart from a recalcitrant power supply, and figuring out how to make a UEFI install drive, it was all plug and play. The internet just makes all this stuff easy, that and modern modular components with standardised interfaces.

Yes it does. Before building my PC, I watched a ton of videos on how to build it. Took me about 40 minutes to build (doesn't include waiting for the items to arrive). :D

I built my first gaming PC a month ago (typing on it now), I was good, but I ordered a 500gb Hard Drive, and it failed, so I had to buy a new one, but I got a 1tb for the same price, so it's better actually, I also did wait a loooongg time for my parts, bought them all separately....But mow it works like a charm.

I am  MCCCXXXVII

I hope you do or will do builds outside of the case now.

Yeah I learned a very valuable lesson. Never again

Ordered last night i have a evga 850gs(bad one gonna rma and have on stand by)  ordered evga 1000 because platinum. Should be here tomorrow. 

• 6 months later...

Just out of curiosity, what is the worse thing that ever happened to you while building/upgrading a PC?

For me, it was having a PCIe Screw fall into the power supply while doing a simple GPU upgrade. Took me 3 hours to unplug all the cable, take it out, take the cover off it, and put it all back together...

not having the system post to only find out that the psu killed the entire system

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I died. Once.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

When I built my first rig... Forgot to install the mobo standoffs and screwed the board to the case lol.

Only the board was fried but yeah that's really about it

oh I guess I can include this as well. The second mobo I bought had a major short in it somewhere. Would have to flip the psu switch and let the charge disappate and then flip it real fast for it to power on

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

Trying to install my CPU cooler.  The reviews said it was a pain, I said "how bad can it be?"  The reviews said you must do it on a disassembled system, I said "nah, I'm not taking it all apart - that cutout is almost large enough"... ah  <_< I got it in, but, jeez...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.