How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

I was upgrading my mothers old crappy HP from a single core clocked at 800Mhz i think to a dual core.  Well i got all the RAM and the new CPU in and it was all up and running beautifly and as soon as she came over to see it the whole thing died and wouldnt boot up again with that CPU, we ended up just using the single core one again and it was fine.  2 hours of fixing bent pins on that stupid CPU and then installing it only for it to die and sit in my CPU bucket never to be used again.

not having enough money to build my computer.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I died. Once.

Casual, I died twice

When I was installing the cpu it didn't go in properly and I though for sure I f*cked up the pins, 1 1/2 years later haven't had any problems

Breaking a z77 sabertooth by rolling over it with a chair and breaking a z87 sabertooth by upgrading a cpu somehow.

My old case was a nightmare, the stock AMD CPU cooler let it be around 74C and it sounded like a jet engine. Then, my case after that sucked. My new one is great.

Other than cases, nothing really. I haven't delved much into building my own PC, since I'm on such a strict budget. My next upgrade is a new mobo+ a new CPU.

I used to be quite active here.

I died. Once.

I couldn't help but be reminded of Johnny Dangerously by this :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Bending the fins on radiators trying to get them mounted only to find that the screws were too short to begin with.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Mine is probably having used a not-so-great power supply in that one of the pins in one of the 4-pin molex connectors came completely out of the plastic connector.  I powered my system on while it was touching the case and a nice loud pop sound happened right before the fateful smell of burning.  Thankfully only the power supply died, motherboard and everything else survived.

When I built my first rig... Forgot to install the mobo standoffs and screwed the board to the case lol.

Only the board was fried but yeah that's really about it

oh I guess I can include this as well. The second mobo I bought had a major short in it somewhere. Would have to flip the psu switch and let the charge disappate and then flip it real fast for it to power on

Did the same thing! But it still works lol

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

Having to install the motherboard and PSU into a Silverstone ML05B at the same time because you couldnt plug the PSU cables in with the motherboard installed into the case. What a headache that was...

I had an HIS 6570 that literally caught on fire.

Later on the mobo went to shit on a dog sled (northbridge overheating all the time), and it wasn't able to keep a Sempron 145 stable at stock speeds.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Spending 3 days trying to get Windows 7 to boot from a USB only to realize that USB windows 7 booting doesn't work with 100 series chipsets.

RMA-ing a SeaSonic PSU because my server mobo wont boot if I plug in all the power connectors typically used by a mobo. 

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

M ATX Case, ATX Motherboard.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Okay. Time to let my demons out.

When I was tightening a waterblock to the backplate on an ASUS Z77 Deluxe, I heard a crunching noise. I thought it was the retaining springs and thought nothing of it and kept on tightening... 

I booted the PC and nothing, did every troubleshooting step and nothing. I decided to reseat the CPU and in my horror I realised that the 'crunching' noise was excessive pressure on the CPU which snapped it in half. My CPU SNAPPED LIKE A GRAHAMS CRACKER.

My delidded 3770K which could get 5 GHz just died because of my stupidity. To make things worse it also killed the board since all the pins were bent due to the overtightening. I decided never again to delid a chip there and then.

IT STILL PISSES ME OFF TO THIS DAY HOW STUPID I WAS

Building a PC for my friend, the asus mobo was sligthly narrower than a full atx board so it was bending like crazy when i plugged in the 24pin cable.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I thought it would be fun to list common mistakes during your first build. So here it goes: - Forgetting to plug in the 4 pin at the top of your motherboard. - Not pushing RAM in correctly on one side so it doesn't work. - Not sorting out your boot device priority in your first boot. - Applying thermal paste wrong. Well post your own / common issues during a first build.

I don't like that very much that Staff can take a topic you started from you. This was started by me. It was only my second topic posted, and I came up with a super popular topic, and now it doesn't belong to me. If you want the description changed or something else, just ask :(

Mine was pretty easy. Booted on first try.

Realized after a day that I installed the fan on the CPU cooler the wrong way (it was blowing its hot air to the PSU)

Good thing I didn't need to remount the cooler (just transferred the fan)

After transferring the fan, was okay, then again realized that my PC only detects 4GB of RAM. Reopened again and installed the other 4GB stick properly.

After a good 3 weeks, I realized that my temps were too high. Will be opening again tomorrow to remount the cooler (I MAY have added too much thermal paste),

and install some more fans. Will also switch left/right sidepanels for better cable management.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

I built my computer a couple years ago and it literally just blew up instantly because of a power surge. As if that wasn't enough, a couple of months later when I'd scrounged enough money together to remake it, it happened again.

I don't like that very much that Staff can take a topic you started from you. This was started by me. It was only my second topic posted, and I came up with a super popular topic, and now it doesn't belong to me. If you want the description changed or something else, just ask :(

All they did was merge the one you started with one that has been around for years and keeps getting longer and longer, my geuss is that it was just to keep the clutter down and not have a bunch of threads with tthe same title. BTW, I see you are new so welcome to the forum.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

System wouldn't post, found out I had the ram in the the wrong slots and the display port cable wasn't pushed in so graphics card wouldn't work

Ended up fiddling with my h60 cooler trying to get it on when i realized i was using the wrong standoffs.

Another time, I put an overclock on my cpu and didnt increase voltage so when my computer didnt restart i freaked out

Well even though it wasn't my first build, I did forget to plug in the CPU fan on my sister's rig when I fired it up for the first time. Thankfully the Sempron 3850 I put in there doesn't have a high enough TDP for it to end up overheating without the fan anyway.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Forgetting the put the SLI bridge on. I do this every single time I build.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Front I/O

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch