How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

My first Build was an 800Mhz AMD Duron Build. Thing had 64MB of ram and a 20GB HDD. It was part of a summer camp project. The guy that was supposed to be showing up how to install everything was taking his sweet time So I had most of it together before he told us too put the MoBo in the case. I got confused when he asked how I knew how too put it together; i mean each item only had one place it could possible go and all the IO was color coordinated. Your not going to accidentally put a GPU into the CPU socket. 

I spent the next 2 days watching other people put theirs together along with his prompts before he would give me my windows 2000 Installation CD.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

My first Build was an 800Mhz AMD Duron Build. Thing had 64MB of ram and a 20GB HDD. It was part of a summer camp project. The guy that was supposed to be showing up how to install everything was taking his sweet time So I had most of it together before he told us too put the MoBo in the case. I got confused when he asked how I knew how too put it together; i mean each item only had one place it could possible go and all the IO was color coordinated. Your not going to accidentally put a GPU into the CPU socket. 

I spent the next 2 days watching other people put theirs together along with his prompts before he would give me my windows 2000 Installation CD.

Haha, yeah I managed to install all my parts minus the ram in about 40 minutes just knowing where each thing goes. The only trouble I had was installing the CPU. It kept making these loud cracking noises and I kept taking it out and inspecting it. I researched and found that that it's normal (hopefully). Other than that, it wasn't too hard. 

I did make a stupid mistake though, I was trying to install the graphics card backwards and noticed that a huge chunk would be  sticking out through the case. I thought to my self, okay, this would look so weird. Then, I turned it around and saw the display ports and I basically face palmed, LOL. That's what I call computer building skills  ^_^ .

Scared as fuck. I bent half of my Athlon x2 pins and took me 3 hours to fix them.

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Scared as fuck. I bent half of my Athlon x2 pins and took me 3 hours to fix them.

Did you place the CPU in the wrong way?

The only trouble I had was installing the CPU. It kept making these loud cracking noises and I kept taking it out and inspecting it. I

I fear for your CPU. I don't remember hearing cracking noises from any of my Intel sockets. Maybe a couple of clicks as the retention arm went in (which I guess could sound like a crack if you where nervous.)

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Did you place the CPU in the wrong way?

It fell from the table

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

My first (Gaming/workstation) build will be made in like 2 weeks, buuuuut I am gonna make that the shop where I buy it (Online shop) send me it built, because... only the tower is like 2000€ Which is like A LOT, and their labs test every part before send it. So... I will need to wait 3 more days and to not enjoy the built but at that budget I just want everything to go ok. :P I'm so hyped... Right now I am just waiting for a bank aproval and the shop to get the gtx 980 ti from gigabyte... I just love it... I want it now!! xD

I'm from Spain so English is not my main language but I'm trying to make my best not writing any typo.

I fear for your CPU. I don't remember hearing cracking noises from any of my Intel sockets. Maybe a couple of clicks as the retention arm went in (which I guess could sound like a crack if you where nervous.)

They might have been clicks, I don't know. All I know was that I did place the CPU in the correct way, had to apply a lot pressure down as well.

They might have been clicks, I don't know. All I know was that I did place the CPU in the correct way, had to apply a lot pressure down as well.

Ya the first 2 or 3 PC's with that socket style I kept thinking "this can't need this much pressure." Now its something I don't think about. 

My first (Gaming/workstation) build will be made in like 2 weeks, buuuuut I am gonna make that the shop where I buy it (Online shop) send me it built, because... only the tower is like 2000€ Which is like A LOT, and their labs test every part before send it. So... I will need to wait 3 more days and to not enjoy the built but at that budget I just want everything to go ok. :P I'm so hyped... Right now I am just waiting for a bank aproval and the shop to get the gtx 980 ti from gigabyte... I just love it... I want it now!! xD

Why is your tower so much?!

lol

My first build was pretty easy. I had a friend who had a membership to a local wholesaler and chose the parts for me in the pre-webstore days. I got a bad CDROM drive, but everything else worked well and it was easy to put together, and I just got the CDROM replaced a couple of days later. My second build was a nightmare though, I had to RMA the CPU and RMA the video card. I picked good components but I made the mistake of buying from a bunch of different online retailers. They all had good resellerratings, but it was annoying getting one part in at a time and having to call multiple places for RMAs. CPU was DOA, then when I got a working CPU the GPU was completely unusable, just displaying artifacts. So that went back too. It was a great gaming system after that, but how pissed off would you be to spend $2000 on a system and you can't use it for 3-4 weeks? After that experience I just bought everything at newegg and Fry's and every single build since (whether for me or for many of my friends who have had me build systems) has gone completely smooth.

I was nervous at first and after it was done I was so relieved. I only messed up once.

stupid 4 pin cpu power connector...

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I was nervous at first and after it was done I was so relieved. I only messed up once.

stupid 4 pin cpu power connector...

How exactly did you mess up?

Well I just completely finished my first build today and I can gladly say everything works great! I worked 2 days on it, the first was putting everything together, and the second was troubleshooting. At first the computer didn't turn on at all (I was pretty upset) but then i looked at the headers on my motherboard and found the connectors in the wrong place so now it works. Also had a little problem with the fans being plugged into the wrong ports but also got them to work fine.

After these 2 days, I have learned a lot about building computers and can probably do it much smoother the second time. If I can give you one piece of advice I wish I knew when building, is to make sure you read the headers on your motherboard to make sure everything is plugged in the right places, even it it plugs into a place, doesn't mean its the right place. Apart from that, this website has a great community full of helpful individuals who will help you with any problems you have. Hope everything goes well and congratulations on your soon-to-come PC!

I spent two days mostly watching YouTube videos on how to construct a computer. This is actually how I first came across LinusTechTips and other YTers such as Jayz, Paul, etc.

I actually had the Newegg How-To-Build videos with Paul narrating open on my tablet as I built my computer. I did it slowly over the course of 4 hours to assemble everything. The graphics cards were the most frustrating as I successfully installed my first 970 without issue but when I installed the second maybe it wasn't in all the way? But in any case I eventually resolved it and after watching more YT videos I got around to doing my desk set-up and cable management.

I uh...definitely went a little over my initial budget but...it's my pride and joy right now.

Intel i7-9700k | Noctua NH-U12A | MSI MEG Z390 ACE | 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | Corsair RM750x | Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 / 860 Evo 1TB / 2x Intel 730 480 GB | Phanteks P600S | ASUS ROG Swift 278Q

Why is your tower so much?!

Because I will use a 5820k, a GTX 980 ti, and well... the processor socket costs like a lot if you add motherboard and ddr4... xD But I am a High Performance/Full Stack Web Developer / future game developer, so I need "space" to launch virtual machines and then "great" screens to see every error on a webpage, I will have 3x 1440p screens so yeah, I need it to be powerful xD Also I am from Spain and here we pay 21% more of the price (Taxes) So my entire build will be like 3,200€ more or less at the moment I will see how much it is and I will put it in my own thread here at LTT :P I am so f*cking hyped... xD

I'm from Spain so English is not my main language but I'm trying to make my best not writing any typo.

I was the kid that always disassembled my toys and put them back together (some of which still worked afterwards). So I tore apart and rebuilt my parents' old Gateway (800Mhz PIII, Windows Me) several times. I did a bit of research to go along with the PC dismemberment to get it all figured out. So, once I had my smokin hot Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB of PQI DDR 400 RAM, Gigabyte nForce 2 400 motherboard, Maxtor (I apparently didn't do enough research on that front) 80GB IDE HDD, MGE Sidewinder case + PSU and a copy of Windows XP Home, I was set. I scavenged everything else off my parents' Gateway (it had a few newer parts I had thrown in it like Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 and GeForce 2 MX400) and went to town. It actually all went together pretty easy. The motherboard came with a good build guide.

Other than buying a Maxtor HDD, the only mistake I made was I put the motherboard in the case first which made attaching the heatsink a bit of pain. Well that and I hadn't heard of cable management. Geez that thing was a mess. But hey. It had a crap load of blue LEDs on it which after watching the the first two The Fast and the Furious movies, it looked awesome as hell. It didn't last too long. Like a year and a half or so. It did wind up with more ram (1GB), a couple of video cards (GF FX 5700 Ultra and GF 6600GT), a new sound card (SB Audigy 2 ZS), and a 19" Acer LCD monitor (was using a Dell 19" CRT). I took the thing to high school for a demonstration once and suddenly computers were cool to all my classmates.

Had current motherboard and drives floating around in a pre-2000 case until I got my had 912

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

It's great hearing all of your experiences! My first build will be done by Monday since that's when my RAM arrives. I just HOPE everything turns out perfectly fine! I'm glad all of your firsts builds managed to work even though some faced some problems!

I imagine it was like my first time with a girl will be..

Sweaty, nervous, a bit confusing, but in the end a very enjoyable experience.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I imagine it was like my first time with a girl will be..

Sweaty, nervous, a bit confusing, but in the end a very enjoyable experience.

Haha, amazing reference!

How exactly did you mess up?

Forgot to plug the 4 pin cpu power into the motherboard.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb