How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

Taking it apart, cause sometimes i will like to put it back together again for better cable management or fan placement that i imagine whenever i have time. Redoing it is fun but taking them apart is something a bit scary for the screw part and troublesome for the cables too.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Cable management is always no fun.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

installing stock CPU cooler to the motherboard

Desktop:

CPU : i5 4440 | Motherboard : Gigabyte B85M-D3H | RAM : Kingstone HyperX blu 4GB x2 | GPU : Asus R9 280X DC II Top [RIP 2017] | PSU : Corsair VS 550W | Display(s) : Dell S2240L | Mouse : Logitech G400s | Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300 (CPU: Intel Core i5 7300HQ | GPU: GTX 1050ti | RAM: 16GB RAM | Operating System: Windows 10 64bit)

When doing watercooling, I hate doing the leak tests. It takes forever.

In a more normal build, I hate doing cable managment.

I hate assembling the wholeLoop with xspc's bad CPU block mounting system, then realizing you forgot to take off the little plastic sheet that's over the waterblock that says remove before use

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I recenty ordered all the parts for my first gaming rig and I have to say, waiting for packages never felt so long in my life!  ^_^

I am so excited to start this build! So far, I've only gotten the case. Hopefully I'll be getting 10/13 things tomorrow!

I never felt so happy yet so nervous in my life! Anyways, how was your first building experience?

I felt extremely happy and couldn't believe it was actually happening. They cherry on top was that everything went smoothly. At first I cared nothing about aesthetics or noise, now that I think about it, my cable management was god fucking awful. 

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I felt extremely happy and couldn't believe it was actually happening. They cherry on top was that everything went smoothly.

I'm glad it did!

I'm just waiting impatiently for my packages  ^_^. Hopefully, everything goes well!

Hey all,

I recenty ordered all the parts for my first gaming rig and I have to say, waiting for packages never felt so long in my life!  ^_^

I am so excited to start this build! So far, I've only gotten the case. Hopefully I'll be getting 10/13 things tomorrow!

I never felt so happy yet so nervous in my life! Anyways, how was your first building experience?

Oh man, I have been slowly Ordering my parts for the past two months now... I just need a PSU/storage... I the feel of waiting.

But I am stoked.

I forgot to use the motherboard stand-offs and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on. Short-circuiting, whee.

Outside of that, it was an easy and painless process. It was quite satisfying to see it come to life.

i7-5820K | GTX 980 Ti

way more money was spent than needed. I was constantly doing research and finding that my purchases were subpar and having to rebuy things.

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

I forgot to use the motherboard stand-offs and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on. Short-circuiting, whee.

Outside of that, it was an easy and painless process. It was quite satisfying to see it come to life.

Bummer!  Did you RMA? I have a feeling something's going to go wrong with my first build and I'm pretty nervous!

Button clicking on alienware.  xD

Hahaha  :D

way more money was spent than needed. I was constantly doing research and finding that my purchases were subpar and having to rebuy things.

I was doing the same thing. I had already picked out all the parts and it would have costed me a total of around $1,900.00 (USD). It had 8 gigs of ram, no SSD, a GTX 980, and an 4690k. Everything that I had picked out was extremely expensive and unnecessary so I asked around the forum. I got help and managed to build a way better build (980 ti, 4690k, 16gb ram, MSI Krait motherboard, 1 TB HDD + 250gb SSD + K70 RGB + M65 RGB Mouse) all for less than $1,600.00

Oh man, I have been slowly Ordering my parts for the past two months now... I just need a PSU/storage... I the feel of waiting.

But I am stoked.

You're almost there! I hate waiting as well, but soon, my PC will be ready (hopefully without any problems).  ^_^

Bummer!  Did you RMA? I have a feeling something's going to go wrong with my first build and I'm pretty nervous!

Naw, it all worked. I just needed to pull the motherboard out and install the stand-offs. When it was screwed in to the case itself (oops!), the motherboard made contact in a way that prevented it from powering on.

i7-5820K | GTX 980 Ti

Naw, it all worked. I just needed to pull the motherboard out and install the stand-offs. When it was screwed in to the case itself (oops!), the motherboard made contact in a way that prevented it from powering on.

I'm glad it all went well. I'm so scared I'm going to mess up with something  :D

Hey all,

I recenty ordered all the parts for my first gaming rig and I have to say, waiting for packages never felt so long in my life! ^_^

I was nervous too but i did watched videos and took a few old junk pc apart and put back together. Hardware was all different but it helped a lot just getting used to a few things. I had upgraded a few parts in a prebuilt before and that helped as well. Be patient too, Don't rush and try and be neat. Like someone else said, I didn't care how things looked at first and now I wish I had a little more

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Technically, it was just tearing my computer apart (which later became HELIOS) and putting it back together again. Everything went fine though, so that was cool. And now I just tear them apart and put them back together again like I have been doing it since I was born. Like putting my rig together on carpet. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Your first build is nerve-racking. You are constantly paranoid about whether you did anything wrong or if you got a DOA product. But in the end, it's likely everything will work out just fine in the end.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

so I have 2 older brothers, one all he cares about gaming, not tech at all, (3 years ago, there was a I5+mobo sitting for him, never touched it for a year, so returned it to microcenter and get the 1 gen newer for free)

anyway, 2003, so I was 7, I built a Pc alongside my older brother for my other brother. I just followed along what he was doing, but I did build my a PC with no one else touching the components for my build. pretty sweet. 

I still have that case. was using it up until last year. :')

My first build was sporadic. I didn't have enough money at the time to order everything at the same time, so I ordered parts here and there(which is not a good idea because half of the items were not returnable after a certain time period). I hoped that everything worked, and that nothing would have to be RMA'ed. I still use the machine to this day and have only updated the cpu cooler though I might need a GPU update soon. It was a great experience. Have fun and put your MOTHERBOARD I/O shield in first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Mostly good. My dad let me build him a PC. I originally suggested a Athlon II X2 and he ended up going with a Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition. We got a screaming deal on 8GBs of DDR2 RAM and he wanted a 1TB hard drive. Felt like everything was excessive but I let him decide. I built the machine and installed Windows 7. It ran great, it was fast. I decided to download League of Legends ( This was back in 09, the game was still fairly new) and stress the system out. It cut power about 10 minutes into the game.

Ran through my troubleshooting. Checked fans, checked cable connections, reseated RAM. Ran memtest on the ram, everything was good. Stressed the CPU out and it was abnormally hot. Ended up cutting power again. I remembered putting a small amount of thermal paste. So I took the CPU heatsink off. I had forgot to take the plastic cover off the bottom of the CPU heatsink. My Dad wasn't mad and he laughed. He told me to use it as a learning experience. I was upset at the time. I now use it as a story when mentoring high school students on how to build PCs. PC still runs 24/7 with all the original parts and installation of Windows 7. My dad is happy with it.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

My first build was a 486 DX2,I think. I remember playing mechwarrior 2 and getting random reboots. Turns out, didn't have a heatsink and fan installed, nor did any come with packaging. Had to go to radio shack and buy something generic.

ez

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

First time is always so tense, just the constant nagging feeling of 'what was that sound? What did I break?' The relief that you feel when it first posts is a feeling like no other.

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

My first PC build was attempting to upgrade a 486 DX-2 (66 MHz, imagine that!) to a Pentium, and it ended up failing miserably because I connected the power supply to the mainboard wrong and ended up frying both.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6