How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

My first build had defective RAM. Other than that, functioned just fine. My first video card was the 560 Ti from Zotac - I was able to overclock it to 1GHz on the Core.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My first PC was in '09. I was ultra nervous because I thought if I screwed something up it would fry the goverment's server. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!! I knew nothing about custom gaming rigs. I saved up $350 and made what would of been a decent rig for '09 but today it would be titled slow. Here is a BOM or bill of materials

* Seagate Barracuda ST3120026AS 120gb Hard Drive

* AMD Dual- Core Opteron 939 Socket Processor

* Soltek Mobo (don't know what kind)

* Cooler Master HAF 912 Case

* Logysis PS480D 480w PSU

* G Skill Value 1 GB RAM Stick DDR 400

* Deep Cool GAMMAXX After- Market Cooler

* ATI HD 2400 Radeon AGP Grachics Card

* Asus Sata Drive

Well, (this was my first) I recently built a $800 i5 based mid tower PC for a family member (240GB SSD for boot, Win 8.1 as OS). Followed all the advice from the one they call Linus. Went well on the temporary test bench, only forgetting to insert the memory. Made sure it POSTed OK (Thank You Linus for that short out the power button pins to get it to boot up trick!), Then proceeded with the full build. What did I forget? One of the mobo standoffs to insulate the mobo from the metal. Pressed the Power button and bang, half the mobo was fried. I plan on getting a better mobo with more features to suit the particular needs of the situation (we stuffed up on the features of the half fried one) What a way to remember a first build. Won't make that mistake again.

I had the fan wires on my CPU cooler wrapped around the fan (like it comes in the box) when I booted it, so the fan wasn't spinning. Scared me while I tried to get the wires off as fast as I could. My 'brand new in box' case that I bought from ebay to save $10 was beat to hell and I had to get a partial refund, but other than that, all smooth sailing.

Makin' and breakin' wafers.

Well, I didn't build it myself really, but my first experience in PC building was watching my father build my first PC when I was around 9 years old.

The first time I built a PC on my own was 3 years ago when I upgraded to my current PC, I was really nervous, I panicked when the CPU started to make cracking noises as I secured it with the retention lever.

Telling bad jokes since 1996

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

Well, I didn't build it myself really, but my first experience in PC building was watching my father build my first PC when I was around 9 years old.

The first time I built a PC on my own was 3 years ago when I upgraded to my current PC, I was really nervous, I panicked when the CPU started to make cracking noises as I secured it with the retention lever.

OMG, I panicked as well for the same reason! I took it out about 3 times thinking to my self, "Dammit, did I break it?!" My first build will be done tomorrow. I just hope I don't fry my board or did something wrong xD.

OMG, I panicked as well for the same reason! I took it out about 3 times thinking to my self, "Dammit, did I break it?!" My first build will be done tomorrow. I just hope I don't try my board or did something wrong xD.

I was watching a couple of videos about mounting the CPU and saw people commenting that the same thing had happened to them, and it was fine. But I panicked regardless :P

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

My first brand new build from scratch was only last year, it was fine. I've done transplants and upgrades for at least 10 years now, so I ran in to no trouble.

I never had any massive failures in my time spent working on machines to be honest.

Felt like building an easy Lego set.

Then again when I was a kid I played with Lego everyday after school for about 6 hours.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Felt like building an easy Lego set.

Then again when I was a kid I played with Lego everyday after school for about 6 hours.

The difference is stepping on a graphics card is going to hurt a lot more than stepping on a lego, both physically and financially :P.

It was quite frustrating at times, but in the end I wasn't too happy as the Original Xbox ended up being better at playing games-and it cost less as well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It was spectacular going against the odds because my parents at the time didn't believe that I could do it, but they gave me a try and now I have a badass PC for a great price!

My parents think the same thing xD. Just gotta prove them wrong

Ahh ya... my parents think that too.... They always laugh :( But i am going to prove them wrong  :P

EDIT: I'm not that scared, I already dissembled my Laptop and put the MoBo in the Samsung DVD player box :P (I used rubber as the stand-offs xD

EDIT 2: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/207059-undercover/ Here ya go! :D

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

I was watching a couple of videos about mounting the CPU and saw people commenting that the same thing had happened to them, and it was fine. But I panicked regardless :P

Mine made the noise, but the music I had going in the schools tech building pretty much drowned out the entire thing.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 XX Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer XX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory XX GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II XX Case: Phanteks Evolve ATX XX Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD ; Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD; Western Digital Caviar Blue 3TB HDD XX PSU: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze 

It was not hard at all. the most nerv racking part is cpu placement but its not horrible.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Mine made the noise, but the music I had going in the schools tech building pretty much drowned out the entire thing.

It was not hard at all. the most nerv racking part is cpu placement but its not horrible.

CPU placement was a nightmare. Specially since it needed a lot of force and made loud noises.

CPU placement was a nightmare. Specially since it needed a lot of force and loud and made loud noises.

Ya, when I put my cpu in, as I was pushing the retention clamp down, I could hear the motherboard creak under the pressure. that is when I thought it was done....

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Ya, when I put my cpu in, as I was pushing the retention clamp down, I could hear the motherboard creak under the pressure. that is when I thought it was done....

PCB is like a phone screen. It will survive the worst of drops, but when it falls two feet out of your pocket on the hardwood its done for.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 XX Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer XX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory XX GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II XX Case: Phanteks Evolve ATX XX Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD ; Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD; Western Digital Caviar Blue 3TB HDD XX PSU: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze 

Quick question, I bought a CRYORIG H7 CPU cooler. Do I connect the fan to the CPU_FAN1 header? Also, my case comes with a fan adapter. Do I plug that into system_fan header or CPU_header2 xD. (Off topic, I'm sorry xD)

Oh my first building experience was pretty scary haha

I think I was about 15 years old, and being my stubborn self I thought I can build a computer without much research. I just thought it should be easy because everything has a place. First thing I did was install the mobo in the case with CPU/Cooler, then I hooked up the PSU and powered it on! WTF I know :( While powered on I was making sure the screws were secure on the mobo and just as I was moving the screw driver it grazed a fan header. The effin thing sparked and shut down immediately. I shat bricks. Turns out everything was fine and dandy just a dead header. Little me thought I was done for, I've been saving my lunch money forever haha 

Oh my first building experience was pretty scary haha

I think I was about 15 years old, and being my stubborn self I thought I can build a computer without much research. I just thought it should be easy because everything has a place. First thing I did was install the mobo in the case with CPU/Cooler, then I hooked up the PSU and powered it on! WTF I know :( While powered on I was making sure the screws were secure on the mobo and just as I was moving the screw driver it grazed a fan header. The effin thing sparked and shut down immediately. I shat bricks. Turns out everything was fine and dandy just a dead header. Little me thought I was done for, I've been saving my lunch money forever haha

Bummer! Glad it all turned out fine!

Quick question, I bought a CRYORIG H7 CPU cooler. Do I connect the fan to the CPU_FAN1 header? Also, my case comes with a fan adapter. Do I plug that into system_fan header or CPU_header2 xD. (Off topic, I'm sorry xD)

Your CPU fan will go into CPU_FAN1. As for the fan adapter, I do not know, I have never used one and have no knowledge on it, sorry.

Your CPU fan will go into CPU_FAN1. As for the fan adapter, I do not know, I have never used one and have no knowledge on it, sorry.

It's cool, thank you!

Mine SUCKED. Went together fine. Worked for about 5 months. Then the intermittant failures began. Took 4 months and $200 to get it sorted out. Left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and complete mistrust of Asrock*. I am a firm believer that the "everyone should build a computer" mantra is wrong. I believe that unless you're able to repair your own computer or you have access to someone that you trust who can repair it for you, you've got no business building a computer. 'Cause that's what you're giving up by building.

Admittedly my problems were a lot worse than normal. Most things when they fail just quit working. Not my computer. It's really hard to tell if you've fixed something when it works 95% of the time anyway. And passes a stress test with flying colors.

*Failures happen. I get that. Getting the wrong board sent back in a used Newegg box (compete with someone else's return address and RMA number still visable on it) and then having the right board sent back in someone else's motherboard box turned inside out not so much. Made them seem like they were run out of someone's garage.

A few dumb failures. Mainly cos I didn't plug in the power and SATA cables all the way, that's why the PC was initially just spinning its (loud) fans at max speed

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro