What are the differences between all these AMD CPUs?

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

Alright seems some information is a little all over the place, so ill give you a summary:

FX: AMDs newest line of performance CPUs, it replaced the Phenom II series as the high end CPU solution. These are meant to compete with i5.

fx_logo.jpg

A Series: These are AMDs manistream APUs, they are called APUs because they have an integrated graphics core on the CPU itself. These compete with Intel i3.

AMD-A10.png

Athlon (CPU): These are on AMDs mainstream socket (FM2(+)) however the integrated graphics were disabled (due to manufacturing faults), these compete with Intel Pentium. 

amd_athlon_fm2_logo_1.png

Athlon (APU): These are some very lower power FS1b APUs that compete with Intel's quad core J1900. Athlon 5350 is an example of this.

AMD-Athlon-AM1-Kabini-APUs.jpg

Sempron (APU): These are the really low power CPUs on the AM1 (FS1b) platform, they are 25W low clock/core count APUs that compete with Intel's solutions like the J1800 Celerons/Pentiums.

AMD-SEMPRON-APU.jpg

Phenom II: AMDs previous performance line, like FX is today. They competed with Intel's Core2 Quad and first generation i5 processors.

12749767652.jpg

Athlon II: AMDs previous mainstream line, a bit like todays APUs. They did produce some quad core ones that competed with Intel's Core2 Quads.

amd_athlonx4640_logo.jpg

Sempron (CPU): These were out at the same time as AMDs Phenom/Athlon II CPUs, they were single/dual core CPUs and competed with Intel Celeron.

amd-sempron-145-400x400-imad4ggp2hzb2edk

Yup, Semprons are the equivalent of Intel's Pentium series.

More Celeron to be honest; see above.

I previously used my PC without this GPU.

My brother is using some quad core Athlon with GPU.

HOW?!?!?!

(serious question, does motherboard give iGPU or something??)

Yes, back then we called it onboard graphics because the graphics were part of the chipset (or northbridge), on the AMD side it was probably 760G or 880G, but there were some nForce chipsets like 630a with the GeForce 7025.

Correction: Athlon II's do have iGPUs, just really shitty ones. :)

Athlon IIs didn't have iGPUs, see above. But there are now Athlon APUs on AM1 (FS1b).

FX CPU's: just CPU. No iGPU no nothin'. Suppose to perform the best, but eh..

Ahtlon and Phenom: just behind the FX CPU's in performance, but with iGPU. (which is not that good) Apparently it doesn't have iGPU. So it's just like the FX CPU's (before the FX CPU's came out)

A series: APU's. Can do CPU and GPU stuff. And can do the GPU stuff better than Athlon and Phenom.

Not sure about Sempron, but I believe.. It was a low power thing? Not sure.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Ahtlon and Phenom: just behind the FX CPU's in performance, but with iGPU. (which is not that good)

A series: APU's. Can do CPU and GPU stuff. And can do the GPU stuff better than Athlon and Phenom.

Wow, thanks, I've been wondering about this for a long time lol

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

APU is a  CPU with an integrated GPU inside of it, with an apu alone you can play games on medium/low settings, including modern games. You can also crossfire the integrated graphics with another GPU installed onto the motherboard. An APU in my opinion needs work to come to its "full potential". APUs cannot yet surpass a separate mid-high end CPU & GPU in rendering and FX - The FX series are just CPUs. These are purely the brain of your motherboard and focus on nothing else but being the brain. The FX CPU can only "think" and not "see" like an APU can.

Ahtlon and Phenom: just behind the FX CPU's in performance, but with iGPU. (which is not that good)

athlons and phenoms have no igpu.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

athlons and phenoms have no igpu.

HOW?!?!?!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

HOW?!?!?!

The latter. I don't know if it's very common with all lower-end AMD socket motherboards, but I know there's more than just a few that have integrated graphics in the chipset.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

The latter. I don't know if it's very common with all lower-end AMD socket motherboards, but I know there's more than just a few that have integrated graphics in the chipset.

Woah. That is rad. I have never heard of that before.

HOW?!?!?!

Woah. That is rad. I have never heard of that before.

it used to be normal to have integrated graphics on the mobo.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

it used to be normal to have integrated graphics on the mobo.

^^

But then fancy on CPU GPUs came around

Ahtlon and Phenom: just behind the FX CPU's in performance, but with iGPU. (which is not that good) Apparently it doesn't have iGPU. So it's just like the FX CPU's (before the FX CPU's came out)

Edited by Darkman

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

price? yes.

performance? not even close.

Aye, but I've meant equivalent as in "relative to other CPUs in the family"

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Alright seems some information is a little all over the place, so ill give you a summary:

FX: AMDs newest line of performance CPUs, it replaced the Phenom II series as the high end CPU solution. These are meant to compete with i5.

fx_logo.jpg

A Series: These are AMDs manistream APUs, they are called APUs because they have an integrated graphics core on the CPU itself. These compete with Intel i3.

AMD-A10.png

Athlon (CPU): These are on AMDs mainstream socket (FM2(+)) however the integrated graphics were disabled (due to manufacturing faults), these compete with Intel Pentium. 

amd_athlon_fm2_logo_1.png

Athlon (APU): These are some very lower power FS1b APUs that compete with Intel's quad core J1900. Athlon 5350 is an example of this.

AMD-Athlon-AM1-Kabini-APUs.jpg

Sempron (APU): These are the really low power CPUs on the AM1 (FS1b) platform, they are 25W low clock/core count APUs that compete with Intel's solutions like the J1800 Celerons/Pentiums.

AMD-SEMPRON-APU.jpg

Phenom II: AMDs previous performance line, like FX is today. They competed with Intel's Core2 Quad and first generation i5 processors.

12749767652.jpg

Athlon II: AMDs previous mainstream line, a bit like todays APUs. They did produce some quad core ones that competed with Intel's Core2 Quads.

amd_athlonx4640_logo.jpg

Sempron (CPU): These were out at the same time as AMDs Phenom/Athlon II CPUs, they were single/dual core CPUs and competed with Intel Celeron.

amd-sempron-145-400x400-imad4ggp2hzb2edk

More Celeron to be honest; see above.

HOW?!?!?!

Yes, back then we called it onboard graphics because the graphics were part of the chipset (or northbridge), on the AMD side it was probably 760G or 880G, but there were some nForce chipsets like 630a with the GeForce 7025.

Athlon IIs didn't have iGPUs, see above. But there are now Athlon APUs on AM1 (FS1b).