world’s first emoji-only passcode

jos

emojiwall_500x375.jpg

Intelligent Environments, a UK firm that makes digital banking software, has created what it's calling the "world’s first emoji-only passcode," offering a choice of 44 emoji that can be used to create a four-character PIN. The company says this means there are 3,498,308 possible permutations for emoji passcodes, compared to just 7,290 for traditional PIN. The confusing part is how to enter PIN at ATM.

Source:http://www.intelligentenvironments.com/info-centre/press-releases/now-you-can-log-into-your-bank-using-emoji-1

ntelligent Environments, a UK firm that makes digital banking software, has created what it's calling the "world’s first emoji-only passcode," offering a choice of 44 emoji that can be used to create a four-character PIN. The company says this means there are 3,498,308 possible permutations for emoji passcodes, compared to just 7,290 for traditional PIN.

Source:http://www.intelligentenvironments.com/info-centre/press-releases/now-you-can-log-into-your-bank-using-emoji-1

how about giving us the option of either.

while it my be more secure, i will not trust my bank account to fucking emojis

Its MORE secure, but you don't trust it? contradiction much

what?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

how about giving us the option of either.

i feal the same, emojis are fun, but better spottable when in a crowded space.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

There should be 10,000 possible combinations for normal PIN numbers..?

Or are 1/4 of the sequences banned because they're easy to guess like 1234, 4321, 9876, 6789, 1111...

Sig under construction.

i generally like this idea.

Sadly there is a list on your phone of most used emoji's, making this rather easy to guess, narrowing it down to 16(? didnt do the math) possibilities if they stand at the start of that list.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Only issue is the pictures aren't universal, Different fonts use different pictures for the same Emojie.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

The company says this means there are 3,498,308 possible permutations for emoji passcodes,

Funny, I get 3,748,096 (444 )

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Would the emoji's picture's bytes be sent over the network then? or are they just simply tied to a number which is then sent over? If they're just tied to a specific number which is then sent over, I'd much rather have the numbers displayed than the emojis. Walls of plain text are less readable and noticeable than walls of emojis, where each emoji has distinct characteristics that can be easily identified.

Its MORE secure, but you don't trust it? contradiction much

what?

why not just give the option of either? or a combination of both? that and emojis very from device to device, there is zero standard for them

Or maybe let us use whichever password we want?

It's mind blowing how so many sites (even banks) have stupid stuff like "no special characters" or "has to be between 6 and 12 characters long".

This emoji thing might be better than the standard 4 number password, but it's still worse than a regular password.

Would the emoji's picture's bytes be sent over the network then? or are they just simply tied to a number which is then sent over? If they're just tied to a specific number which is then sent over, I'd much rather have the numbers displayed than the emojis. Walls of plain text are less readable and noticeable than walls of emojis, where each emoji has distinct characteristics that can be easily identified.

emojis are not images, they're characters just like "a", "b" and "§", so they will be transmitted as numbers

if you want to just remember a number, then you may as well remember a classic pin. the difference here is that emojis are visual, numbers are not

why not just give the option of either? or a combination of both? that and emojis very from device to device, there is zero standard for them

there is a very precise, exact and universal standard for emojis

what varies is the particular style of the picture, but if you send a "thumbs up", on the other side they will read a "thumbs up". it's like having different fonts for the same characters. maybe you write in times new roman and on the other side they will read courier new, but the text did not vary

There is more problem.. how will you use pin at an ATM

Tell everyone to turn around, close their eyes and count to 10. :D

Im lot more worried about someone stealing my info online than someome watching me use my pin and remembering my card info just from looking at it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Some of the reasoning behind this idea is so stupid that I thought it was a joke to begin with. If it helps some people then why not, but I wouldn't find this easier to remember than just a word and a few numbers.

emojis are not images, they're characters just like "a", "b" and "§", so they will be transmitted as numbers

if you want to just remember a number, then you may as well remember a classic pin. the difference here is that emojis are visual, numbers are not

I'm just pointing out the problems in the visual aspect. Being easier to remember is a double edged sword because people around you will more easily remember your pin. I also don't think this will change the way we choose our passwords, because I'm sure it is more likely that someone who likes soccer will also have the soccer emoji in their pin, so the idea of being different from what we usually put in our passwords is not solved. And I'm sure that with all our metadata collected, people can find out our interests and predict the probability of using a specific emoji.

me:he jack whats ur pass i need to use ur account

jack: its  happy-happy-sad-puke-house-horse-sick-confused

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm just pointing out the problems in the visual aspect. Being easier to remember is a double edged sword because people around you will more easily remember your pin. I also don't think this will change the way we choose our passwords, because I'm sure it is more likely that someone who likes soccer will also have the soccer emoji in their pin, so the idea of being different from what we usually put in our passwords is not solved. And I'm sure that with all our metadata collected, people can find out our interests and predict the probability of using a specific emoji.

Bank PINs are usually not choosen by the user, so there is no chance for the psw to be biased

For other sites in which the user chooses the password, of course it's always a password, so it can't possibly be safe if the user takes poor decisions. That's not a flaw of the system