Hey, 1080p users. How much VRAM do you use?

Vozella

The highest amount of VRAM i've used is 1.8GB on my GTX 670 and that is when i'm playing Cities: Skylines :P

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I am also interested in this, please do tell 1080p gurus :)

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

I hit 2GB only in GTA V. From what I've read online you can remove the limit and push it past 2GB, there won't be any severe framerate drops. :)

I have 3 1080p monitors, and a GTX 970, I mostly play PlanetSide 2 and Planetary Annihilation, it is never a bottleneck

2GB is fine, but go for 3 or 4 for future proofing, the R9 280x is a good deal

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I hit 2GB only in GTA V. From what I've read online you can remove the limit and push it past 2GB, there won't be any severe framerate drops. :)

My brother has a 2GB 760 and has actually used all of it for MSAA, so in GTA V you can use a lot more

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Gta v and the evolve beta/alpha are only really times I've gone over 2gb gta v: 2.6gb and evolve:2.3gb

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I hit almost 4 gigs in certain games. The times that I do hit 4 gigs are short, so it's not always sitting at 4 gigs of usage.

But to emphasize this, it only happens in certain games and those games tend to be considered not optimized.

Does it ever reach 4GB?

1080p users don't reach over 3.5gb on average, but heavy mods or high res texutre packs CAN make it get up there.

Skip to 3:25

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

3.4 Gigs with Skyrim mod HD textures. 2.2-5 with BF:4 on ultra.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I hit almost 4 gigs in certain games. The times that I do hit 4 gigs are short, so it's not always sitting at 4 gigs of usage.

But to emphasize this, it only happens in certain games and those games tend to be considered not optimized.

Isn't it probably the case that games utilise a greatert amount of VRAM depending on the cards actual VRAM. Or it compresses the textures when you have less? Probably something along those lines or I'm just making up some bs. (not a game Dev don't flame me)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I only use 2.2 GB while playing Battlefield 4 with everything maxed out, 1080P.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The question should be; "how much vram do you need". 

The fact 3GB is used, doesn't imply 3GB is needed. I'm gaming 1440p on a 960. No vram issues.

Granted, i play older games. But i'm willing to test my theory...

My brother has a 2GB 760 and has actually used all of it for MSAA, so in GTA V you can use a lot more

1080p users don't reach over 3.5gb on average, but heavy mods or high res texutre packs CAN make it get up there.

Agreed, I forgot about Skyrim mods, they can eat VRAM like crazy. I think you will be ok with 2GB, but if you can go for something more, as mentioned, for future proofing, such as an R9 280 or greater. But don't go for anything like a R9 270/x 4GB version, 960 4GB and similar cards, they aren't really powerful enough to utilize all of the 4GB. :)

Skip to 3:25

Oh. Thanks. I was worrying about the 970 specifically.

Isn't it probably the case that games utilise a greatert amount of VRAM depending on the cards actual VRAM. Or it compresses the textures when you have less? Probably something along those lines or I'm just making up some bs. (not a game Dev don't flame me)

I'm not a game dev either, ha.

But you can tell a game is poorly optimized when the game takes up so much resources and power from your hardware while a better looking game takes up way less.

If not optimization then something else with how the game is being rendered from the engine or however that works.

GTA V highest possible settings, 3.8GB - 3.9GB

Probably just caching mostly. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I get around 3.5 - 3.8 on Far Cry 4, around 3.5 - 4.2 on CoD:AW, and @ 2.8 - 3.2 on Crysis 3.

That's with all the bells and whistles though

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Get a GTX 960 4GB.

The last card you will ever need for 1080p gaming.

That card is a terrible ripoff. For the same money you could get a R9 290, which absolutely destroys the 4gb 960.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

That card is a terrible ripoff. For the same money you could get a R9 290, which absolutely destroys the 4gb 960.

Sorry but the cheapest 290 I can find costs $20 more and I would have to spend another $100 on a power supply that can handle it.

$360 to run a 290 is fucking moronic when I can get a 970 that kicks the shit out of the 290 for $30 less while not having to buy a new power supply.

My room also won't feel like a sauna with a 970.

Get a GTX 960 4GB.

The last card you will ever need for 1080p gaming.

Fixed.

I disagree. As you will be dropping below 60fps with the 960 even with the 4gb.

Proof.

More proof.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

I disagree. As you will be dropping below 60fps with the 960 even with the 4gb.

Can you link something that actually displays the settings they're running? Could very well be 4xMSAA or something.