Microsoft bringing SSH to Windows and PowerShell

RH00D

SSH, coming to a PowerShell console near you!

post-385-0-79190100-1433291376.png

SSH, or secure shell, is the mainstay of remote access and administration in the Linux world, and the lack of any straightforward equivalent has always been an awkward feature of the Windows world. While there are various third-party options, Windows lacks both a native SSH client, for connecting to Linux machines, and it lacks an SSH server, to support inbound connections from Linux machines.

The PowerShell team announced that this is going to change: Microsoft is going to work with and contribute to OpenSSH, the de facto standard SSH implementation in the Unix world, to bring its SSH client and server to Windows.

PowerShell is in some ways an obvious group to do such work; while PowerShell is arguably stronger as a scripting language than it is an interactive shell, it's nonetheless Microsoft's preferred tool for command-line Windows management and administration. The ability to connect securely to a Windows machine from a Linux one to use a PowerShell shell is a logical extension of PowerShell's capabilities.

While those looking for an SSH client for Windows have been able to use the (excellent) PuTTY, providing an SSH server, for inbound connections, has always been more awkward on Windows. Should this work be successful, it will mean that there's one less reason to install Cygwin on Windows systems, and that's sure to be welcomed.

Below is from the PowerShell team's announcement:

Finally, I'd like to share some background on today’s announcement, because this is the 3rd time the PowerShell team has attempted to support SSH.  The first attempts were during PowerShell V1 and V2 and were rejected.  Given our changes in leadership and culture, we decided to give it another try and this time, because we are able to show the clear and compelling customer value, the company is very supportive.  So I want to take a minute and thank all of you in the community who have been clearly and articulately making the case for why and how we should support SSH!  Your voices matter and we do listen.

Thank you!

Angel Calvo
Group Software Engineering Manager
PowerShell Team

It's great to see this kind of collaboration happening. The better interopability between different types of systems the less headaches for those that have to deal with mixed systems. +1 point for Satya Nadella allowing such collaboration. I was actually surprised they had tried to support SSH in the past but (previous) management rejected it.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/microsoft-bringing-ssh-to-windows-and-powershell/

Announcement: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/looking_forward_microsoft__support_for_secure_shell_ssh1/archive/2015/06/02/managing-looking-forward-microsoft-support-for-secure-shell-ssh.aspx

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

i really enjoy using putty when i am SSHing(?) from my windows machine to the linux/unix servers for my classes in college so this is a nice change.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

This has to do with Microsoft doing something good, but I'm not exactly sure what. So yay!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Definitely a "Good news everybody!" moment that will undoubtedly be spoiled by someone claiming how innovative MS is for inventing ssh no doubt. Or well perhaps not, MS followers are not as bad as Apple ones though.

Fan boys are fan boys, I really don't see why you need to stir the pot by inferring that one is worse than the other.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

ssh on windows, its like microsoft finally realised telnet is getting a bit outdated.

this means my school needs to edit their books to tell microsoft uses encryption on remote terminals now.

(which they should after 30 years, my book mentioned cat4 as being high-end...)

Fan boys are fan boys, I really don't see why you need to stir the pot by inferring that one is worse than the other.

uh_meme_by_gumwolf-d5rpqr0.png

-------

Current Rig

-------

This has to do with Microsoft doing something good, but I'm not exactly sure what. So yay!

It's a remote access protocol to get to servers on the internet and log into them. It's a protocol ubiquitous across Linux and BSD machines, and it's about damn time Microsoft just built it into the programs in their command prompt engine (PowerShell).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

ssh on windows, its like microsoft finally realised telnet is getting a bit outdated.

this means my school needs to edit their books to tell microsoft uses encryption on remote terminals now.

(which they should after 30 years, my book mentioned cat4 as being high-end...)

I guess if your school's textbooks weren't so old they probably would have covered Windows Remote Management.

Here's a plain English-esque article about it, and this one comparing WinRM to SSH.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I guess if your school's textbooks weren't so old they probably would have covered Windows Remote Management.

the teacher that attempted to teach me windows server has been using exclusively linux since 2003.

he was hired this year to teach windows server.

NOW, i'm not sure where the error happened, but i feel like somewhere between those two lines theres something missing.

(ps: his first quote in class is worth a tshirt: "hang on students, it's been a while for me as well")

One where Micro$oft implements features people actually wanted?

Next thing you know, I might find a girlfriend.

I'm scared of this bizarre alternate universe.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fucking finally!!!

When I first started using SSH I couldn't believe that Windows didn't natively support it that was so confusing to me.

I'm sure this implementation will not be much better than something like MultiTabPutty but this is still an amazing new development.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Better late than never. This is good news for anyone who uses remote management on Windows.

Does anyone know why they removed it before? I just don't get it. Maybe they were trying to push WinRM but that ship sank the moment it left the dock. Everyone using Windows just gets PuTTY and then SSH instead, since that's what everyone else supported.

Better late than never. This is good news for anyone who uses remote management on Windows.

Does anyone know why they removed it before? I just don't get it. Maybe they were trying to push WinRM but that ship sank the moment it left the dock. Everyone using Windows just gets PuTTY and then SSH instead, since that's what everyone else supported.

Not sure. Microsoft has always been notorious for trying to implement their own standard, instead of a already existing one.