Vice-President of CaseLabs calls out Thermaltake for directly copying their designs (Computex 2015)

you've never worked in a case labs case then.

I don't need space ship looking shit.

I need steel cases that can hold what I need them to.

space ships can't melt steel cases

rekt

As a long time supporter of Caselabs, I have owned three, I have to say this is really shitty to see. After their clear rip off with the Core series, this is just another kick in the ass to CL, along with other companies they have ripped off, including Fractal and Antec.

Way to not do anything original TT... Unlike the new Antec S10 - at $500 bucks who the heck will buy it? But, definitely original.

The new Antec S10, I might give it a long hard look, its the first original looking case and design that has really caught my eye since the S-Frame.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

That's incredibly insulting.

I own an H440, and you don't think i understand the form>function ideal? You don't have to be a genius to understand looks aren't everything.

Case labs are just brilliant cases for those with a huge budget

they have many features that people overlook, my favorite is a motherboard tray that is removable, and an SSI EEB option.

While it's not cheap for the brackets, you can fit what seems like an unlimited number of drives in them. I've seen a TX10 with like 40 drives in the base.

They are made of steel, and came come in white, black, or ready to paint.

Sure, they don't have all of that crap like removable fan filters, or are practical from any sort of budget standpoint, but they are a one of a kind base for your wildest dreams of crazy PC build that are built with a heft and quality that reminds me of those old steel sever cases. Given a good budget, I not want to build in anything else. Trust me, it's a dream in your fingertips. it's not mountian mod: a black aluminum box with a ton of fan holes that cost a lot.

They were arguably the first for a lot of design concepts that were later used in other popular case lines. That's fine. But if what is said here is true, and TT did a complete rip off of CL, then that's shameful. But case designs come and go in trends, and are ripped from company to company.

They story itself seems a bit odd to me.

I find it unlikely that any case designer that knows anything about the case market just seems to discover case labs at shows, and rips them off after buying them. It's not hard to figure out what the high end builder like about them. their presence is big in tech communities, and their online store has a lot of pictures from many angles and options as soon as the case is on the market. It's not the type of design you have to get perfect to rip off. It can be a bit bigger or smaller, ect, and I don't see why you need a case in order to rip it off.

The design does look very similar with the vent and window placement, but it's pretty different in many other ways. In a way, you could accuse case labs of panicking because they are no longer unique in the case market with this TT line, and TT offers a lot of what they off on a cheaper, non-steel price point that's sure to appeal to the general masses more. CL could just be angry that they have this new competitor.

On the other hand, I find it odd that TT has been complete shit for all fo these years and suddenly pops out these modular designs that are not really "playing it safe" in the case market.

Point is, I'm not sure what to think. I think CL is unique, and not just a black box, but I'm not sure TT ripped them or just decided this was the way to go with cases and suddenly stopped being shitty case makers.

The reason I side with CL by gut instinct is they've been great all of these years and TT is been shitty. Wouldn't you be suspicious if say Antec suddenly stopped being shitty? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

space ships can't melt steel cases

rekt

They can weaken them apparently. The Thermal level it takes is not as high as you'd think.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That is were the problem lies now, the cases being shown off from TT are Caselabs cases with "slight" changes so TT has no right to the manufacturing for them unless they are gonna invest the $1000's it takes to make it cheap and effecient to produce them.

As remarkably simple as Caselabs cases are, there's no reason at all for them to cost what they do. Except maybe the materials and the brand name.

In the end, I'm still going to go with TT if I get a new case, because its just cheaper. While I like Caselabs cases, they're just too freaking expensive, and I'd rather mod a cheap case and get better components.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As remarkably simple as Caselabs cases are, there's no reason at all for them to cost what they do. Except maybe the materials and the brand name.

Yeah might be due to the face that the Caselabs cases aren't mass produced and all done in house were as TT and others can just use 1 chassis and just put different plastic on it.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

you've never worked in a case labs case then.

I don't need space ship looking shit.

I need steel cases that can hold what I need them to.

hqdefault.jpg

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

As a long time supporter of Caselabs, I have owned three, I have to say this is really shitty to see. After their clear rip off with the Core series, this is just another kick in the ass to CL, along with other companies they have ripped off, including Fractal and Antec.

Way to not do anything original TT... Unlike the new Antec S10 - at $500 bucks who the heck will buy it? But, definitely original.

I understand how you feel, I ordered a CaseLabs case myself but because i value the quality and I expect this case to last...oh...till the end of humanity (and even past that). 

But some people want the looks (of which CaseLabs nails) and perhaps the functionality (like flat motherboard mounting and all the customization) but without paying the price. CaseLabs can't stop that. They can cry uncle and hope it works, but we're way past the slippery slope of aping designs. 

Cats out of the bag, nothing we can do to stop it. 

In the end, I'm still going to go with TT if I get a new case, because its just cheaper. While I like Caselabs cases, they're just too freaking expensive, and I'd rather mod a cheap case and get better components.

Then don't get a CaseLabs. You pay for quality. Like many things in life, the premium doesn't make sense for all but its there. They are factually better built cases in every measure and their price reflects that. No one forces anyone to buy CaseLabs, we do it because we see value. 

Can't afford them? Too fucking bad. You're poor. CaseLabs doesn't really care. Shop elsewhere. They are one of the few companies that can still afford to make a quality good with a quality price tag and not need to pander to the masses to maintain their business.

But there is-

Steel is expensive and hard to mill

And they are a small operation. The amount of cases and options they have is astounding. They don't mass produce them, they pretty much hand made them in the sense that they probably mill them a few at a time 

muh specs 

All parts black

Yeah might be due to the face that the Caselabs cases aren't mass produced and all done in house were as TT and others can just use 1 chassis and just put different plastic on it.

Well that's just stupidity on their part. As good as caselabs case designs are, they should be mass produced, with a custom shop on the side to do custom work. They can't really be mad at someone for imitating their design, and then mass producing it and selling it for a fifth the cost. That's competition.

But there is-

And they are a small operation. The amount of cases and options they have is astounding. They don't mass produce them, they pretty much hand made them in the sense that they probably mill them a few at a time 

I've done metal work, I know all of this. If caselabs is milling their cases, no wonder they're so bloody expensive. That's just bad business sense (or, in fairness, a devotion to custom work and insane levels of quality control). It's not like they're building a race car engine. Considering their cases are painted, they could use iron and lessen the price (remember, Steel is just a type of iron with a high carbon content) and manufacturing cost. Hell, they could cast the parts out of iron (not as hard to do as you might think, at least just melting the iron anyways)

The quality of the cases, is what will separate them.

hqdefault.jpg

no space ships are ugly to me! I think my 380t is ugly, and I think the h440 is a tad bit to flashy. Though a great case. But yes, the h440 is too flashy for me. I'm pretty hard core industrial look

muh specs 

All parts black

Well that's just stupidity on their part. As good as caselabs case designs are, they should be mass produced, with a custom shop on the side to do custom work. They can't really be mad at someone for imitating their design, and then mass producing it and selling it for a fifth the cost. That's competition.

True still just not good business practice imo on TT side.

|King Of The Lost|

it is! definitely. Problem is, it appears that TT is the high school student that copy-pasted from wikipedia and didn't bother to take two seconds to rearrange some words and remove the blue annotation links. (Back when I was in high school people did that)

Case labs made a choice to be a company that offers full steel cases in market that rarely even offers full aluminum. They should have expected the wind to be taken out of their sales from competition like this at some point, but this just appears to be blatant. 

muh specs 

All parts black

But there is-

I'm going with a ThermalCore X9 as it has good price to performance. Who cares if they have bad customer support. Cases don't just 'break', and if it It comes damaged out of the box then I will just return it to NewEgg, and they will me a new one. CaseLabs is way overpriced for what they are, their cheapest case, the S3, is $329 and can only hold MINI-ITX.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

HOW INTERESTING CAN A BLACK BOX GET? GET OVER IT PEOPLE.

Thermaltake one is much wider as well.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

HOW INTERESTING CAN A BLACK BOX GET? GET OVER IT PEOPLE.

Thermaltake one is much wider as well.

It's just hypocrisy really.

TT accused Razer of copying them before, and now TT is deliberately copying Fractal and CaseLabs. 

it is! definitely. Problem is, it appears that TT is the high school student that copy-pasted from wikipedia and didn't bother to take two seconds to rearrange some words and remove the blue annotation links. (Back when I was in high school people did that)

Case labs made a choice to be a company that offers full steel cases in market that rarely even offers full aluminum. They should have expected the wind to be taken out of their sales from competition like this at some point, but this just appears to be blatant. 

Blatant or not, Caselabs shouldn't be whining and crying about someone streamlining a process to make the same product, with slightly less quality, as well as offering FAR less customization. Caselabs should have just partnered with them in the first place.

I'm going with a ThermalCore X9 as it has good price to performance. Who cares if they have bad customer support. Cases don't just 'break', and if it It comes damaged out of the box then I will just return it to NewEgg, and they will me a new one. CaseLabs is way overpriced for what they are, their cheapest case, the S3, is $329 and can only hold MINI-ITX.

It's.....difficult for me to say that, considering the insane dream build I have, but yeah, if I was gonna change cases I would go with TT at this point. If I was building my dream machine, I would be having my own custom case made out of stainless steel, which would be more expensive than Caselabs cases.

I have the luxury of waiting a bit because it might be a couple of moths before i made a huge storage box for myself, but what you say is true. Check out this thread

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/368866-do-youwould-you-make-a-moral-stance-when-you-buy-your-gpu/

The basic consensus from most is "wrong or not, I'm buying what gets me more at a better price"

I may end up getting one of TT's cases even if this is definitely a blatant rip 

muh specs 

All parts black

Blatant or not, Caselabs shouldn't be whining and crying about someone streamlining a process to make the same product, with slightly less quality, as well as offering FAR less customization. Caselabs should have just partnered with them in the first place.

It's.....difficult for me to say that, considering the insane dream build I have, but yeah, if I was gonna change cases I would go with TT at this point. If I was building my dream machine, I would be having my own custom case made out of stainless steel, which would be more expensive than Caselabs cases.

That's not how that works. if Acura made an aventador and offered it for 30k usd, there'd be lawsuits.  But I agree with your sentiment. 

muh specs 

All parts black

They're straight up rips from the other designs, man.

The second thing you said is the reason why CL is upset, now that TT has the same case design but they're going to be slightly inferior and less expensive (likely). So now everyone who's in the market for a case that CaseLabs can build, they're going to look at TT and not CaseLabs and get an inferior product.

That's not how that works. if Acura made an aventador and offered it for 30k usd, there'd be lawsuits.  But I agree with your sentiment. 

Was trying to comment, forums lagged out or something.

I have the luxury of waiting a bit because it might be a couple of moths before i made a huge storage box for myself, but what you say is true. Check out this thread

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/368866-do-youwould-you-make-a-moral-stance-when-you-buy-your-gpu/

The basic consensus from most is "wrong or not, I'm buying what gets me more at a better price"

I may end up getting one of TT's cases even if this is definitely a blatant rip 

It can't really be that blatant, otherwise Caselabs would have legal recourse wouldn't they?

And the X9 looks exceptional to me, I'm still kinda surprised @LinusTech hasn't reviewed it yet. (still mad about that, since Linus's reviews are the only ones I truly trust other than Tek Syndicate)

The second thing you said is the reason why CL is upset, now that TT has the same case design but they're going to be slightly inferior and less expensive (likely). So now everyone who's in the market for a case that CaseLabs can build, they're going to look at TT and not CaseLabs and get an inferior product.

There has to be differences in the cases, otherwise CL would be able to sue them into the ground. And people who want custom work done, will still go to CL (which is what CL is about) to get it done. I would for my dream build, which would cost me a ridiculous amount of money in the first place (glass tubing water cooling loop, and if actually possible, liquid mercury as a coolant)

This is LTT. Paying for quality is not something the kids understand. These guys will pay for LED bedazzled bullshit before they pay for quality goods. 

And this was my point about the blue annotation numbers and not rearranging the words when people plagiarized from Wikipedia. It would have been so easy to make damn near the same thing and not make it look like a total rip, just takes a slight amount of effort. 

muh specs 

All parts black