Let's start a little GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming riot...

With the new GTX 980 Ti being announced, everyone will be licking their lips (or cursing under their breath for just having bought a GTX 980 @ $550) for the chance to buy a Titan X-ish card for a $100 premium over a GTX 980 at $650. 

However, let me put your attention to the following... Europe

Here in Europe, the GTX 980 G1 Gaming was sold for a reasonable 580-ish Euro ($640). With the release of the Ti, the G1 saw its price drop to 529 Euro ($570)

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-980-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_977900.html(sorry for the german links)

Now here is the kicker! I found a link to the GTX 980 Ti G1 being sold for a bargain at.... 899 Euro! ($1000!)

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/6144MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1005048.html

As a comparison, the GTX Titan X costs roughly 1.070 Euro ($1200!)

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/12288MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-Titan-X-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_998091.html

And this, of course, is all due to the lovely tax laws we have here in Europe. So now I put the question out there to the community.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

1. Buy an European GTX 980 G1, and pay the $70 premium of the American one?

2. Buy an European GTX 980 Ti G1, and pay the $430 premium over the European GTX 980 G1 (80% premiun for 20% performance increase)?

3. Buy an European GTX Titan X, and pay the $630 premium over the European GTX 980 G1 (110% premiun for 30% performance increase)?

4. Buy an American GTX 980 Ti G1 in the US, hoping it will sit around $750, a cut of $250 over a European one, and hope the European customs doesn't fine you from trying to bring it in through your hand luggage?

5. Buy an American GTX Titan X in the US at the price of an European GTX 980 Ti G1, and hope the European customs doesn't fine you from trying to bring it in through your hand luggage?

6. Someting else...

Let the discussions begin!

OP, this has nothing to do with the GTX 980 Ti's. It has nothing to do with Nvidia, or Gigabyte. Call this European import riot, cause that's what this is :P.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Chill out until the AMD 300 series launches and then either buy one of those or see the prices drop hopefully and then buy a 980TI

OP, this has nothing to do with the GTX 980 Ti's. It has nothing to do with Nvidia, or Gigabyte. Call this European import riot, cause that's what this is :P.

True, but putting GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming in you're headers brings all the boys to the yard... lol

Imo 5 or 6. Keep it in the box while travelling, with the manual.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Imo 5 or 6. Keep it in the box while travelling, with the manual.

Pretty sure customs would find the card If they don't spot a pcb it would be pretty easy to take a bomb on a plane.

People be looking for a reason to flame.

Pretty sure customs would find the card If they don't spot a pcb it would be pretty easy to take a bomb on a plane.

That is airport security you are talking about. They will definitely spot the PCB, but wont make an issue about the price. Customs are those 'goods to declare' people that love to present you with an invoice for import taxes etc.

True, but putting GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming in you're headers brings all the boys to the yard... lol

mcshz.jpg

Dear person, that's BS.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I know, that's why I said in the box, with the manual, so you can easily explain that it's not a bomb, but your videocard.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Dear person, that's BS.

Salty, but i'm just being honest. Also, it allows me to share the link of the 980 Ti G1 (including official pricing details) to the community where I have not seen one ;-)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I was ready to buy a GTX 980 Ti as well hoping the prices would be more along the lines of 600-650 euros, nopelelele. They are around 750 euros around Europe and 850 euros in Finland for the stock cooler crap. Tyvm

Glad I live in North America :P

Dear Europe... Rest in pepperoni

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

damn, I don't even want to imagine how much it will cost here in Italy (right now a GTX 980 G1 Gaming sits at 650€ =~725$ after a 100€ discount).. 

well, it seems I'll settle for 2 GTX970s (unless a miracle happens)  :(

I got my GTX 980 G1 Gaming for 691 CHF ($739), i guess it's a rippoff, and one more thing - i did not even used it ever since I bought it in December. It is brand new and I will probably not be using it for 3 more months to come.

Tell me, did i do the right thing to build a $3000 PC just for the experience of building it and not even using it? Look at the build in my sig - it has never been used. Just turned it on to see if it will post. From then on, it stays in a box waiting for a monitor from Acer XB270HU which is still not in the Swiss stores!

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

I don't understand why you are fixated on the gigabyte gaming g1. It seems to have attained some mythological status in the minds of some Linustechtippers far out of proportion to its actual value.

If you went out and bought say an MSI twin frozr it would more than likely overclock just as well and sometimes even better than some g1 specimens, same with most of the half dozen styles of EVGA cards out there,  and they would also keep the card more than sufficiently cool, as do nearly all the other fan style non reference coolers out there.

If I remember right from LTTs review of the gtx 980 g1, they found that while it did overclock well, it actually drew MORE power than a gtx 780 ti! So the G1 isn't all unicorns and rainbows either, their binning process seems to result in cards that draw more power than other cards in some cases, and sometimes were talking a lot more.

Don't get me wrong, I like the G1's, but not even remotely enough to pay some steep price premium, or even a mild one.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Chill out until the AMD 300 series launches and then either buy one of those or see the prices drop hopefully and then buy a 980TI

I um...

When nvidia launches a new GPU, AMD drops prices

When AMD launches a new GPU, Nvidia drops nothing.

That is the reason why the 700 cards were so expensive when cpeaper/faster 200s were there

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

In Australia the 980ti's are currently selling for $1000 AUD just about anywhere you look. Even with our crappy dollar, the $650 USD price tag equates to roughly $840 AUD.

I wonder if I can order one from the states and have it shipped out...

I got my GTX 980 G1 Gaming for 691 CHF ($739), i guess it's a rippoff, and one more thing - i did not even used it ever since I bought it in December. It is brand new and I will probably not be using it for 3 more months to come.

Tell me, did i do the right thing to build a $3000 PC just for the experience of building it and not even using it? Look at the build in my sig - it has never been used. Just turned it on to see if it will post. From then on, it stays in a box waiting for a monitor from Acer XB270HU which is still not in the Swiss stores!

It is never a waste to invest in a good computer ;-) but perhaps you can hook it up to a backup monitor at the moment, until such time that your monitor comes in (or look for an equivalent monitor, lots of good monitors coming out at the moment)

I don't understand why you are fixated on the gigabyte gaming g1. It seems to have attained some mythological status in the minds of some Linustechtippers far out of proportion to its actual value.

If you went out and bought say an MSI twin frozr it would more than likely overclock just as well and sometimes even better than some g1 specimens, same with most of the half dozen styles of EVGA cards out there,  and they would also keep the card more than sufficiently cool, as do nearly all the other fan style non reference coolers out there.

If I remember right from LTTs review of the gtx 980 g1, they found that while it did overclock well, it actually drew MORE power than a gtx 780 ti! So the G1 isn't all unicorns and rainbows either, their binning process seems to result in cards that draw more power than other cards in some cases, and sometimes were talking a lot more.

Don't get me wrong, I like the G1's, but not even remotely enough to pay some steep price premium, or even a mild one.

Ever since Linus gave the G1 it's "flawless f***ing victory" approval for the "new gold standard of IO", the Linus Community went apeshit for the G1 brand. Also, it's the only high end card I can find that will match my black/blue build that I am planning.

In Australia the 980ti's are currently selling for $1000 AUD just about anywhere you look. Even with our crappy dollar, the $650 USD price tag equates to roughly $840 AUD.

I wonder if I can order one from the states and have it shipped out...

You can always order it and have it shipped (even easier if you know someone in the US who can pick it up and ship it), but chances are your card will be stopped with customs, and if your country imposes import taxes, the profit will be lost either way. Also, shipping US to Australia isn't cheap I think :-P

Unfortunately the taxes imposed by the most free country on earth are ridiculous anywhere else. The 980ti price in the USA is $650 and in UK it's £550 which makes the taxes almost $200. Calling it fair is way off... Especially the aftermarket cards like the G1 or any other premium one.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I bought an motherboard+cpu in Amurica and took it with me on the plane as handlugage.

I got through the security without even getting asked a single question.

Customs should not be a problem, just follow the signs "nothing to declare" and you're good to go.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

i bought a pair of sunglasses in the US once...customs then proceded to slap 140 euros onto the cost...anything shipped via FedExx and US Post gets checked. UPS and DHL tend to get a few things in without the added tax, but that depends on size and declared cost of the parcel

I um...

When nvidia launches a new GPU, AMD drops prices

When AMD launches a new GPU, Nvidia drops nothing.

That is the reason why the 700 cards were so expensive when cpeaper/faster 200s were there

That's why I said hopefully they'll drop. It depends on how the 300 series will perform. Especially their new flagships with HBM.