Windows 10 System Specs

GoodBytes

The general rule is if your computer is Windows 8 ready, you are good for Windows 10. If you have Windows 7, you may want to do a quick check to ensure the best Windows 10 experience, but you should be good nonetheless, especially if you bought your computer in Windows 8 release window, and decided to put Windows 7.

But in the case you wonder, Microsoft shared today the system specification to operate Windows 10:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display: 1024x600

I say operate, as we obviously are talking about minimum specs to get the OS running OK.

As we can see, Windows 10 requirement specs are low, which is great for low powered devices like low end Windows powered tablets and laptops, and old systems.

Now the above is just the basics requirement. This is the rest:

• Cortana is only currently available on Windows 10 for the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.
  • Speech recognition will vary by device microphone. For better speech experience you will need a:
    • High fidelity microphone array
    • Hardware driver with Microphone array geometry exposed
  • Windows Hello requires specialized illuminated infrared camera for facial recognition or iris detection or a finger print reader which supports the Window Biometric Framework.
  • Continuum is available on all Windows 10 editions by manually turning “tablet mode” on and off through the Action Center. Tablets and 2-in-1’s with GPIO indicators or those that have a laptop and slate indicator will be able to be configured to enter “tablet mode” automatically.
  • Music and Video stream through the Xbox Music or Xbox video available in certain regions. For the most up to date list of regions, please go to Xbox on Windows website.
  • Two factor authentication requires the use of a PIN, Biometric (finger print reader or illuminated infrared camera), or a phone with WiFi or Bluetooth capabilities.
  • Device Guard requires:
    • UEFI Secure Boot with 3rd party UEFI CA removed from the UEFI database
    • TPM 2.0
    • Virtualization Support configured on by default in the System Firmware (BIOS)

Virtualization extensions (e.g. Intel VT-x, AMD RVI)

Second Level Address Translation (e.g. Intel EPT, AMD RVI)

IOMMU (e.g. Intel VT-d, AMD-Vi)

• UEFI BIOS configured to prevent unauthorized user from disabling Device Guard hardware security features
    • Kernel mode drivers need to be Microsoft signed and compatible with hypervisor enforced code integrity
    • Only available on Windows 10 Enterprise
  • The number of applications that can be snapped will depend upon the minimum resolution for the application.
  • To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multi-touch (more info)
  • Microsoft account required for some features
  • Internet access (ISP fees might apply)
  • Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database
  • Some IT administrators may enable Secure Logon (Ctrl + Alt + Del) before bringing you to the log in screen. On tablets without a keyboard, a tablet with the Windows button maybe required as the key combination on a tablet is Windows button + Power button.
  • Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance
  • BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive (Windows 10 Pro only)
  • BitLocker requires either Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2, TPM 2.0 or a USB flash drive (Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise only)
  • Client Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system with second level address translation (SLAT) capabilities and additional 2 GB of RAM (Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise only)
  • Miracast requires a display adapter which supports Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.3, and a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct
  • Wi-Fi Direct Printing requires a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct and a device that supports Wi-Fi
  • Direct Printing

To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF

InstantGo works only with computers designed for Connected Standby

Device encryption requires a PC with InstantGo and TPM 2.0.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-here-are-the-system-requirements

It's surprisingly lenient specs wise, but what the features require are actually pretty advanced. my q6600 doesn't have some of those features. darn.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i hate how region locked cortana will be on launch, i hope they expand that list soon and fast

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i hate how region locked cortana will be on launch, i hope they expand that list soon and fast

well, it takes time for Cortana to speak and hear some of these languages, so it's not exactly easy per se.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

well, it takes time for Cortana to speak and hear some of these languages, so it's not exactly easy per se.

I guess that's a thing too but I live in a country where English is an obligatory subject in an obligatory school.

So why not just have in available in English for everyone.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

The general rule is if your computer is Windows 8 ready, you are good for Windows 10. If you have Windows 7, you may want to do a quick check to ensure the best Windows 10 experience, but you should be good nonetheless, especially if you bought your computer in Windows 8 release window, and decided to put Windows 7.

Erm... isn't 8 (8.1) less demanding than 7?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

then label speech on beta or something, you can do everything by typing it which is how i use it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Erm... isn't 8 (8.1) less demanding than 7?

Yes. But drivers. And if you have Windows 7 system with Starter edition or something, or installed it on an old system already... might be a problem. Remember that GPU power is important in Windows 10, as even more things are GPU rendered. (Basically Start menu, notification panel, nearly all Windows programs (Music, Video, Calculator, etc). So if you have a GeForce 6600GT 128MB say... well you might have driver issues under Windows 10, and possibly, maybe, performance issues. So you want to do a quick check on that.

I guess that's a thing too but I live in a country where English is an obligatory subject in an obligatory school.

My guess would be accents? Specially since certain accents put emphasis on different syllables creating a completely new sound.

My guess would be accents? Specially since certain accents put emphasis on different syllables creating a completely new sound.

I guess it might make testing and things easier for Microsoft to allow the easier to understand accents. 

But I'm still a bit salty on this as I had to change my Lumia phone to USA everything to get Cortana, but it understands my accent just fine.

Basic requirements are pretty good! But the rest ones, wow xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Sucks that Cortana isn't available in Canada. I know you can get it working by changing the region to US but as far as I know, most of the localization features don't work.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

All my systems are way over the required specs. CPU specs are interesting because you could get away with a modern cpu clocked under 1GHz but you can't get away with an old CPU clocked under 1GHz. They should word that better, maybe put in instructions or something because old CPUs dont support AVX(for example)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

All my systems are way over the required specs. CPU specs are interesting because you could get away with a modern cpu clocked under 1GHz but you can't get away with an old CPU clocked under 1GHz. They should word that better, maybe put in instructions or something because old CPUs dont support AVX(for example)

Yeah, especially since Core M exists. This makes it look like most Core M computers can't run Windows 10, while most Atom-based computers can. (Yes, I know about turbo)

In the beta I believe it was locked to US, however changing your location to US fixed it, I guess you could do this. I can't see it would have that much of a negative affect on anything else?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

In the beta I believe it was locked to US, however changing your location to US fixed it, I guess you could do this. I can't see it would have that much of a negative affect on anything else?

I did that on my phone. The thing is now it defaults some things unchangeably to US things(Damn US spell checking). And some apps, like the one from my bank doesn't work if my location is USA.

I'm just really sad that the integrated face recognition will require a special spatial camera, I hoped for across the board support, like KeyLemon does.

Let me not get started on the regional-locking of Cortana... I WOULDN'T WANT A DUTCH CORTANA ANYWAY! If I ever use it I'll be talking English to it... *sigh* And if I change my region, some apps don't work well anymore, like @RatedBlam mentioned... So sad :(

Well fuck the cortana thing then....

Just give me the English version I DO NOT want the Dutch version. It will be less functional when and if released and I simply don't like to use my computer in Dutch.

I can understand that it doesn't work in Dutch yet but just give me the option to use the English version....

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Well fuck the cortana thing then....

Just give me the English version I DO NOT want the Dutch version. It will be less functional when and if released and I simply don't like to use my computer in Dutch.

I can understand that it doesn't work in Dutch yet but just give me the option to use the English version....

Man I understand you so well... While I do understand MS from a certain point of view - the dutch version will probably have local support, like searching dutch tv stations and whatnot, I still want to talk to it in English.

I had similar problems with Google Now, just a lot less severe.

What the hell Microsoft?

I was looking forward to ask cortana to do stuff while I'm on the bed, but NO you have to region lock it. Apple and Google never seemed to have this problem with their personal assistants. Sure I get that it doesn't have many languages supported, but at least make the available languages available in every damn part of the world!!

I was also looking forward to Windows hello facial recognition but derp I need an infrared camera now

What the hell Microsoft?

I was looking forward to ask cortana to do stuff while I'm on the bed, but NO you have to region lock it. Apple and Google never seemed to have this problem with their personal assistants. Sure I get that it doesn't have many languages supported, but at least make the available languages available in every damn part of the world!!

I was also looking forward to Windows hello facial recognition but derp I need an infrared camera now

Will just any IR camera work? I thought it had to be that specific Intel one... Cuz if so, I could use Sony's PlayStation Eye, it has infrared as far as I remember... Now if I can only find those fan-made drivers for it I back-up-ed back in the day...

Still takes up a quite lot of storage then.

Will just any IR camera work? I thought it had to be that specific Intel one... Cuz if so, I could use Sony's PlayStation Eye, it has infrared as far as I remember... Now if I can only find those fan-made drivers for it I back-up-ed back in the day...

I am also curious about the infrared camera. The PS Eye does have infrared, but I believe you need to modify/remove a filter in order to make it only infrared.

Still takes up a quite lot of storage then.

Depends how you configure your installation and how much space you want to have free afterwards. The actual OS itself takes around 7.8 GB I believe. But then you will have the Page File which is typically set to 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. So the more RAM you have the less free available space you'll end up with, unless you manually change this setting to be lower or off. Windows also no longer requires a separate recovery image either so that frees up a bit. You can read the details here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

I think they just say 20 GB for a buffer and because if you installed with a drive smaller than that Windows would fit, but you'd have next to no free space left over for files and apps so what good is that lol.

But yeah if you were ever curious, you can create a virtual machine with a 10 GB hard drive, then install Windows to it. I remember I tried that with Windows 7, installed it to a VM with 10 GB hard drive and had like 2.3 GB free space after install.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Depends how you configure your installation and how much space you want to have free afterwards. The actual OS itself takes around 7.8 GB I believe. But then you will have the Page File which is typically set to 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. So the more RAM you have the less free available space you'll end up with, unless you manually change this setting to be lower or off. Windows also no longer requires a separate recovery image either so that frees up a bit. You can read the details here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

I think they just say 20 GB for a buffer and because if you installed with a drive smaller than that Windows would fit, but you'd have next to no free space left over for files and apps so what good is that lol.

But yeah if you were ever curious, you can create a virtual machine with a 10 GB hard drive, then install Windows to it. I remember I tried that with Windows 7, installed it to a VM with 10 GB hard drive and had like 2.3 GB free space after install.

Good to know, thanks.