US Govt proposes to classify cybersecurity or hacking tools as weapons of war

SIGSEGV

Source: http://betanews.com/2015/05/23/us-govt-proposes-to-classify-cybersecurity-or-hacking-tools-as-weapons-of-war/

Ping in the wrong hands could be used to DDoS people, so couldn't basically every PC be considered a weapon of war? Not only that, but what does this mean for security professionals? There are so many ways this could be abused.

Most alarmingly:

As per the agreement, the new definition of ‘intrusion software’ refers to a tool which is capable of extraction or/and modification of data or information from a computer or network-enabled device.

Until now only when someone possessed a chemical, biological or nuclear weapon, it was considered to be a weapon of mass destruction in the eyes of the law. But we could have an interesting -- and equally controversial -- addition to this list soon. The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), an agency of the United States Department of Commerce that deals with issues involving national security and high technology has proposed tighter export rules for computer security tools -- first brought up in the Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) at the Plenary meeting in December 2013. This proposal could potentially revise an international agreement aimed at controlling weapons technology as well as hinder the work of security researchers.

At the meeting, a group of 41 like-minded states discussed ways to bring cybersecurity tools under the umbrella of law, just as any other global arms trade. This includes guidelines on export rules for licensing technology and software as it crosses an international border. Currently, these tools are controlled based on their cryptographic functionality. While BIS is yet to clarify things, the new proposed rule could disallow encryption license exceptions.

The new proposal is irking security researchers, who find exporting controls on vulnerability research a regulation of the flow of information. You see, these folks need to use tools and scripts that intrude into a protected system. If the proposal becomes a law, it will force these researchers to find a new mechanism to beat the bad guys.

As per the agreement, the new definition of ‘intrusion software’ refers to a tool which is capable of extraction or/and modification of data or information from a computer or network-enabled device. The modification also includes tweaking of the standard execution path of a program. In addition, the tool could also be designed to avoid detection by “monitoring tools” (software or hardware devices such as antivirus products that monitor system behaviors or processes running on a device). Tools including hypervisors, debuggers and others that are used for reverse engineering software won’t be considered as “intrusion software”.

Security items being exported to government users in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the UK -- or the “Five Eyes" nations -- would get some leeway and looser restrictions. This is because the intelligence agencies in these five nations collaborate closely. BIS is seeking comments on the proposed rule -- available to all in the Federal Register -- with a deadline of July 20, 2015.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I don't think these politicians even understand how hacking works, and as such I don't feel comfortable with them making laws that will probably just create more problems.

As per the agreement, the new definition of ‘intrusion software’ refers to a tool which is capable of extraction or/and modification of data or information from a computer or network-enabled device.

Seriously? Fuck they'll be able to put us in terrorist prison I mean Guantanamo Bay "Detention Facility" for downloading movies and Skyrim mods.

Nsa All your data

bsapeepingeagle

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Seriously, Cyber-security as a weapon of war? Just integrate Minnesota into Canada now (Ontario preferrably because Tant à Decouvrir), I don't care if Harper has basically been Canada's version G.W Bush. At least they're not trying to say that Cyber-security is a weapon of war.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Oh that's just f**king great, now my field of study in college (network security) will essentially make me a dangerous war criminal in the eyes of the government.

Seriously, government, just stop. Your insanity and idiocy are driving you further and further into illegitimacy and you are in fact giving people cause for your own removal from power.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

so wait by the definition of "hacking" a saw is also a weapon of war

Did you even read anything besides the title?

This isn't new, nor is it restricted to just the USA.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

So the NSA would be considered a 'weapon of war'? Sounds good to me.  B)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Seriously, Cyber-security as a weapon of war? Just integrate Minnesota into Canada now (Ontario preferrably because Tant à Decouvrir), I don't care if Harper has basically been Canada's version G.W Bush. At least they're not trying to say that Cyber-security is a weapon of war.

I'm sure that if they win the upcomming ellection then we would prob see some similar laws passed.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

They're doing this because the planes got hacked, right?

This means our own government is a weapon of war with their computers.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

So it begins, wont be long till every programmer is seen aa a weapon of mass destruction and a terrorist :/ Kinda scary when you think about it

Google, Facebook, Microsoft, all the security companies, and even you - Apple.  Use your vast resources to lobby this down in to nothing.  Use the lobbying power for good and protect yourselves, to protect us.  That is all.

Old people + the Internet = does not compute.

after a bit of thinking this is my only reaction

71b.jpg

post-8310-0-04482900-1432531540.jpg

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Google, Facebook, Microsoft, all the security companies, and even you - Apple.  Use your vast resources to lobby this down in to nothing.  Use the lobbying power for good and protect yourselves, to protect us.  That is all.

Until they get threatened with a loss of whatever licenses they need to conduct business in the US.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well congrats America. You've legally given pretty much every citizen of yours a weapon of war... This forums is now ISPs.

But seriously, Jesus fucking Christ. Do they even realise that they basically just reclassified every consumer electronic ever into a weapon? If this goes through I worry about humanity.

- snip-

Well congrats America. You've legally given pretty much every citizen of yours a weapon of war... This forums is now ISPs.

But seriously, Jesus fucking Christ. Do they even realise that they basically just reclassified every consumer electronic ever into a weapon? If this goes through I worry about humanity.

All we can do now is hope that Google becomes a country.  

But why?

* enter GIF here *

Seriously? How this makes any sense? You effectively armed everyone... As if the problem with guns in USA wasn't enough.