SilverStone Headphone Stand Design Contest

This is the biggest fuck up I have ever seen, for a submit your own design contest.

Can we all write letters to silverstone about it, and tell them that my mini factory is a fucking joke, hopefully if they get enough they might redo it in some proper order.

Anyone have the email for silverstone customer relations?

This is the biggest fuck up I have ever seen, for a submit your own design contest.

Can we all write letters to silverstone about it, and tell them that my mini factory is a fucking joke, hopefully if they get enough they might redo it in some proper order.

Anyone have the email for silverstone customer relations?

silverstone isn't the genitor of this contest, LMG is, so i think we are at the right place

lol I feel like the renderings are much more better representations of what the products are supposed to be.

Also why do some people have the headphones on their model, and others don't for their thumbnail image. IMO, they look better without them, and people are able to see the design more and the item is hero'd nicely. Additionally for mine, I have a black model with the black headphones, so it's difficult to observe the model properly without going through the other images.

Just noticed the email they sent:

To cast your vote simply choose an object you think is awesome and download the STL file to your computer. 1 download = 1 vote 

Linus and SilverStone will have the final say, however your votes will influence which designs they choose.

Looks like they will be moderating after all, should prevent the system being abused.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440

On page 21, With the exception of my design and someone elses, nobody has above 5 views let alone downloads/follows/likes.   :(

Where as nearly everyone on page one has upwards of 90 views :(

I've just heard from MMF, thankfully they do have a mechanism in place to detect cheating.  So anyone who spam downloads their own model to increase their votes will be flagged, that also includes creating additional accounts to download from.  That's reassuring to some extent.

lol I feel like the renderings are much more better representations of what the products are supposed to be.

Also why do some people have the headphones on their model, and others don't for their thumbnail image. IMO, they look better without them, and people are able to see the design more and the item is hero'd nicely. Additionally for mine, I have a black model with the black headphones, so it's difficult to observe the model properly without going through the other images.

I think MMF have really spoiled some peoples designs, the primary image is the first impression and they've set that first impression themselves rather than allowing the inventor to use his/her talent & skill for this important aspect of presenting a design.  One of my images also has headphones hanging from it, and they've been printed just as badly as my design.  Hopefully LMG will see past that, look into the supplied renders from the inventors to see the true design intent.

they do have a mechanism in place to detect cheating. 

Thats good to hear, and i agree with the cover photo problem.

Here are all of my designs now finally printed out:

#1: Mounted the wrong way around https://www.myminifactory.com/object/8487

#2: ok (just printed to small) https://www.myminifactory.com/object/8585

#3: waaaaay to small - someone must´ve printed it in inches (it was 180mm tall and the arm reached nearly that far out too!) https://www.myminifactory.com/object/8410

Somehow none of my rendered pictures are shown...

Pictures:

how does the spoiler function work in the ltt forum? 

29707e667a204fd69a26b1d093dda826f912001b

9b245595363c49820bdcde63d67610b496512c80

df129ec38bcbf5fbc0fb348ec8eabdf6e5723752

889403d0f961b90d10a6fb01e35f3f0ba0b20292

f89c6ffa9c4a27dcac7a39aabb07a8dabc4d4850

Man that really sucks, The one they mounted backwards is ridiculous, I was scrolling through the entries and thought, hmmm I recognise that design, but something looks wrong. I understand that MMF had to get through a lot of designs but really, some of these problems are just dumb and greatly misrepresent the product.

I've just heard from MMF, thankfully they do have a mechanism in place to detect cheating.  So anyone who spam downloads their own model to increase their votes will be flagged, that also includes creating additional accounts to download from.  That's reassuring to some extent.

I think MMF have really spoiled some peoples designs, the primary image is the first impression and they've set that first impression themselves rather than allowing the inventor to use his/her talent & skill for this important aspect of presenting a design.  One of my images also has headphones hanging from it, and they've been printed just as badly as my design.  Hopefully LMG will see past that, look into the supplied renders from the inventors to see the true design intent.

Exactly! The first image / thumbnail is the most important thing about it. If it doesn't look good in the thumbnail, then people are less likely to click on the entry. 

Why use black filament for the model, if the headphones are the exact same colour as well! Can't see anything.

Also, it's not fair for people who are in the later pages - for obvious reasons. All we can hope for is that Silverstone/LMG somehow get through all of these designs themselves, so that there's some consistency. In the current state, I think some very good designs will not be recognised.

Exactly! The first image / thumbnail is the most important thing about it. If it doesn't look good in the thumbnail, then people are less likely to click on the entry. 

Why use black filament for the model, if the headphones are the exact same colour as well! Can't see anything.

Also, it's not fair for people who are in the later pages - for obvious reasons. All we can hope for is that Silverstone/LMG somehow get through all of these designs themselves, so that there's some consistency. In the current state, I think some very good designs will not be recognised.

Yea, was it really necessary for some people to upload 20-30 different designs? I don't think so.  I appreciate that this was permitted but all it's done is congest the competition with similar looking but very slightly different sticks poking out from a wall! I think they should have limited it to max 2 entries per person.  

The positive side though, the fact that a lot of people have just uploaded sticks poking out from a wall means that the good ones should hopefully stand out.  If you flick through the pages you can tell immediately what stands out and what doesn't, the good ones really jump out at you.

This one has to be up there with the most stupid of all the mistakes they've made! Not only is it upside down in some of the pictures, it's also attached to the wall at the wrong end, even though clearly the submitter provided pictures showing what it should look like, how is it possible to get this so wrong?! 

01-07-2015%2015-19-36_zpsdtflaamr.png

This one has to be up there with the most stupid of all the mistakes they've made! Not only is it upside down in some of the pictures, it's also attached to the wall at the wrong end, even though clearly the submitter provided pictures showing what it should look like, how is it possible to get this so wrong?! 

http://orig06.deviantart.net/5bcd/f/2015/182/3/9/myaaaa_by_nagby-d8zhqti.webm

Yea, was it really necessary for some people to upload 20-30 different designs? I don't think so.  I appreciate that this was permitted but all it's done is congest the competition with similar looking but very slightly different sticks poking out from a wall! I think they should have limited it to max 2 entries per person.  

The positive side though, the fact that a lot of people have just uploaded sticks poking out from a wall means that the good ones should hopefully stand out.  If you flick through the pages you can tell immediately what stands out and what doesn't, the good ones really jump out at you.

If the designs were too similar, they wouldn't have printed all of them. I know I submitted a ton of designs but they all had differentiations enough to be considered different designs rather than just newer iterations. I do agree though, I considered boiling it down to my top 5 or so to actually submitted but was just like "fuck it why not submit them all", and uploaded all of them. It could only help my chances, right? I think the way they see it is, if you put in more work to make that many different designs, you should have the right to submit them all. Especially since they were already expecting a pretty large scale for this competition anyway. Most people only did 1-3 max, so its not like that many people took advantage of it. 

I can understand mistakes can be made, they are little downscaled printouts of other peoples' designs, but mine came with a 3d render of my entire stable of designs from my STL file properly mounted. And that render was direct from the STL file, they would have SEEN the models in the STL file properly aligned in order to cut out the one they wound up printing, and would have had the render showing them wall mounted. I find it hilarious, but I do hope more than just the little orange printout they mounted upside down is looked at when judging the design in its entirety.

Im not 100% on this, but I dont think any of them are actually mounted on a wall for the photos. I think instead they just framed the camera tricking the viewer.

Im not 100% on this, but I dont think any of them are actually mounted on a wall for the photos. I think instead they just framed the camera tricking the viewer.

I Think most of them are mounted to the wall. If not, the headphones would fall of. 

mine is 100% mounted to the wall. 

4f838e1efca84617256c7743362349aeb63becc5

headphones wont stay there if not mounted to the wall.

they probably used blu tack magic

01-07-2015%2015-19-36_zpsdtflaamr.png

to be fair if you think about this design and think about how most 3d printers work they couldn't really do much to prevent the overhangs. That's why they said what printers they were using and it needed to be kept in mind.

to be fair if you think about this design and think about how most 3d printers work they couldn't really do much to prevent the overhangs. That's why they said what printers they were using and it needed to be kept in mind.

The issue with this one is that it's mounted to the wall the complete wrong way around, look at the user submitted photos which have the silver background, then look at how MMF mounted it.  They've even got it wrong on the photo with the headphone hanging on it.  That's properly unfair on the guy who submitted this, he sent in a picture of how it should look so what more could he have done! :o  

The issue with this one is that it's mounted to the wall the complete wrong way around, look at the user submitted photos which have the silver background, then look at how MMF mounted it.  They've even got it wrong on the photo with the headphone hanging on it.  That's properly unfair on the guy who submitted this, he sent in a picture of how it should look so what more could he have done! :o  

oh wow, i didn't even realize, when i looked at the picture i just assumed it was on the wall right but the finish was just horrible. this isnt the only one, you can see some of them look like they were put on upside down and i think to save on material they scaled down a few designs like this one e9d8e0ec6ee72012fb3b7db14492ec031cc86490