SilverStone Headphone Stand Design Contest

here it is, seems like votes are now up

at least the things i uploaded are public (except one which is still under review as well)

https://myminifactory.com/users/Nagby

and we can like our own uploads :|

but they said it would be download that would count as votes

yes, other uploads are here : https://myminifactory.com/tag/competition-linus-tech-tips-headphone-design   546 for now

Looks like you're probably going to be SOL if you are at the end. I don't think there's going to be that many people going through all 28 pages to vote.

Looks like you're probably going to be SOL if you are at the end. I don't think there's going to be that many people going through all 28 pages to vote.

yeah, thats the same for most people, it isn't really fair

I really wish they shuffled the pages periodically. No one is looking through all 28 pages. I guess you could get people to bandwagon yours.

Desktop: Athlon X4 860K / MSI A78M-E35 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600/ HIS R9 280 3GB OR EVGA GTX 960 FTW / EVGA 650W GS / 512 GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Asus MX239H, Princeton VL 1916

Laptop: Intel Core i7-3720QM / 16GB DDR3-1600 / Nvidia GT650M / 512GB PCIe SSD / Apple MacBook Pro mid 2012

So I submitted like 30 entries..... all 3 sets I uploaded in them said they got approved (I have two other uploads that are under review but aren't for this competition), and only 3 showed up on my profile. Honestly doubting that they printed all of mine out, even though they promised they would (sent them a few emails to confirm). Just sent them another email, but even if they do upload them I won't have a chance with those since like 40 pages of objects is too much, especially since their navigation interface is terrible. The print quality was 'meh' at best too. Why would they print objects in complete matte black? Especially if their lighting is that bad as well. Can't be too upset though, its a free contest. 

Shameless plug to see my available entries: https://myminifactory.com/users/mattselnick

My online portfolio piece that I made for this competition, feels like its the only thing that actually shows how much work I put into this: https://www.behance.net/gallery/27181569/SilverStone-Design-Competition

Thanks for checking them out if you look. Good luck to everyone, but I'm pretty much giving up on any chance I have of winning. Doesn't seem likely that I have a chance, but it was definitely a fun experience. Page 20 w00t!

Wow something has went catastrophically wrong with my print, this is nothing like the intended design! 

wtf_zpsnmb64ksk.jpg

It should be this:

1_zpsval0lkpb.jpg

I emailed them numerous times leading up to it being approved only today, no mention of anything being wrong with it...

I'm not impressed at all... My first version had it's scaling messed up on the bottom half for no apparent reason. For version two, the print quality was terrible and they also forgot to add the rendered pictures on the page.

Here's my entry since I don't expect anybody to actually go to page 36. 

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/wall-mounted-headphone-stand-with-optional-desktop-stand-base-v2-8170

And here's the renderings again since they didn't upload them

post-1759-0-33247600-1433792415_thumb.jp
post-1759-0-09010000-1433792408_thumb.jp

I agree, I think anyone who's been misrepresented by poor quality submissions by the website staff have a right to be annoyed... I can't speak for anyone else but I ploughed at least 10 hours of my life into doing this design! Only for the first impression image to be nothing at all like how I designed it.  Obviously I understand they can't represent the textures and decals but mine looks like it's melting or been put through a blender!

They mounted mine upside down... There is a 3D render on the page showing it the right way, but its upside down in THEIR picture and looks a little silly in orange...

Good luck to all who entered though, I saw some really nice looking ones in the lists so far.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/a-collector-s-headspace-7987

I agree, I think anyone who's been misrepresented by poor quality submissions by the website staff have a right to be annoyed... I can't speak for anyone else but I ploughed at least 10 hours of my life into doing this design! Only for the first impression image to be nothing at all like how I designed it.  Obviously I understand they can't represent the textures and decals but mine looks like it's melting or been put through a blender!

i think that is a scale problem + 3d printing limitations

for the 3d printing limitations we can't do much

but there is real scale problems and mounting ways (idk for everyone, but i sent them simple pdf drawings explaining how to mount them and how the headset should be on it)

and also light + print color, but imo that is a smaller issue than the big one that is an upside down mount, which completely ruin the functionality of the designs

Edited this post, just in case, someone probably will see what I said and abuse the system

Apparently Myminifactory decided to merge two of my submissions into one and only print and photograph the most simple version. (https://myminifactory.com/object/sine-headphone-wall-mount-with-soundwave-design-8513)  Downloading it gives stl-files of both of my submissions without any of the assembly instructions or renders I had uploaded. Myminifactory has not left me a good impression to say the least. In regards of the contest it feels kind of pointless now when my main submission "didn't make it" and the simpler variant that did includes a confusing set of stl files belonging to something else.

post-231703-0-26027800-1435697918_thumb.

post-231703-0-33340000-1435697919_thumb.

If anyone is willing to give feedback/comments on my design even though this is my onliest (for now) post on the LTT forums, it would be appreciated.

So i spent a couple of days developing designs for this and they have all come out poorly printed and/or in the wrong scale and look really quite rubbish, especially when used in the wrong orientation. I know that this has all be done for free, and i respect them for trying. But i think the idea of printing all entries was a little naive. And they probably should have filtered ones that are just a hook, seems to be hundreds of them. Its a shame, but may the best man/lady win (Or just the ones on page 1 :-/).

Design 1

not come out too bad, but definitely the wrong scale.

image.png
3b677d7e0c579c8de83e0449ad3f50eae6da0b36

Design 2

Scale seems a little off, but this one has come out ok despite the poor headphone print. wait for the last one....

image.png

ace140d1fd0794244dbbfc35acf2a6e236c11196

Design 3

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/headphone-hoop-8400

This is the one i am really upset about. It was my favourite design of the three. The scale is out by a long shot, the orientation is wrong, and the renders were not uploaded with it... I love its simplicity and ease of manufacture with minimal waste shown by flat pattern.

fc97140878c6dec31f289dd1cc1f2d5492829ce4

image.png

Flat_pattern_low_waste.png

So i spent a couple of days developing designs for this and they have all come out poorly printed and/or in the wrong scale and look really quite rubbish, especially when used in the wrong orientation. I know that this has all be done for free, and i respect them for trying. But i think the idea of printing all entries was a little naive. And they probably should have filtered ones that are just a hook, seems to be hundreds of them. Its a shame, but may the best man/lady win (Or just the ones on page 1 :-/).

Wow, I'm genuinely annoyed for you m8.  That last entry is utterly ludicrous.  It may have been free but many of us spent a lot of hours of our free time modelling and designing these things, with no warning that they may end up totally misrepresented.  Send them a message and see if you can get it fixed up.

btw : "top 10 finalist show-off : late june"

does that mean the votes end in some houres?

They Messed up my first design as well, by printing both parts together, but ok. 

my Second entry looks fine to me, even thought they are missing the mounting plate which allows it to be mounted to the wall with screws.

but i don't really understand, why they have scaled most of the models down. Maybe because the cost of the filament is too high. 

For shameless advertisement, here is my second design. Maybe i will ask my professor to print it out on our Selective Laser Sintering 3D-Printer. I think that would give it a much better finish.

b23f99a508f91622126adddeab68e6df249b71ca

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/8273

Wow, I'm genuinely annoyed for you m8.  That last entry is utterly ludicrous.  It may have been free but many of us spent a lot of hours of our free time modelling and designing these things, with no warning that they may end up totally misrepresented.  Send them a message and see if you can get it fixed up.

Thankyou, means a lot. Shows that i'm not being completely unreasonable. I have emailed them twice in the last 3 weeks and had no response. I cant even modify my own pages to add images :-/

I submitted 2 designs, one turned out good, 

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/ltt-pgi-i-beam-8349

While the other one is just... wrong. It was a multi part design and had instructions on how it was assembled.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/pgi-v1-wall-headphone-8289 

Instructions: http://puu.sh/iIM0k/bfde38e285.pdf

This is what it is supposed to look like, 

877560deb4.jpg

268b29fa8c.jpg

This is what was printed and photographed. assembled upside down AND back to front, and my assembly method (which is what took me hours to design and execute is not shown at all.

much disappoint mmf

2e251b0564dfa7e1a43decb6a597ee2956129b05

I think the fact that A LOT of peoples designs being presented completely wrongly, as well as it being currently possible to cheat the voting system, says to me that this competition needs to be cancelled for now and either put back until they can fix the issues, or moved to another host.  MMF are clearly not capable of hosting this properly.  I appreciate they have time and probably staffing issues, but publishing designs upside down and back to front is ridiculous especially when the actual product design is displayed alongside the STL in an image.  

Having said that, unlike MMF, the Linus Media Group hopefully should be switched on and smart to what's going on and should take all of this into consideration.  

yeah.....

or maybe, since there has already been lot of time spent, they will make up a jury to choose between the files downloaded, not the first photo displayed

Page 21, could be worse. I hope LTT abandon the vote system all together for this competition.

On a side note, there are alot of designs that seem very similar... maybe they are variations from the same person.

Second side note, my design retracts/moves... Im yet to find another one that does.

Second side note, my design retracts/moves... Im yet to find another one that does.

one of mines does

well, it's not easy to see on mmf since it's printed in 1 piece and upside down

but here you can see it open at sides and closed at middle

5_by_nagby-d8w8v7r.png

I really wish they shuffled the pages periodically. No one is looking through all 28 pages. I guess you could get people to bandwagon yours.

I think they may actually be doing this - yesterday I was on page 20 something but today my designs are on page 11.

I think the fact that A LOT of peoples designs being presented completely wrongly, as well as it being currently possible to cheat the voting system, says to me that this competition needs to be cancelled for now and either put back until they can fix the issues, or moved to another host.  MMF are clearly not capable of hosting this properly.  I appreciate they have time and probably staffing issues, but publishing designs upside down and back to front is ridiculous especially when the actual product design is displayed alongside the STL in an image.  

Having said that, unlike MMF, the Linus Media Group hopefully should be switched on and smart to what's going on and should take all of this into consideration.  

I feel that this was an oversight by LMG rather than MMF. Linus had to know how many entries there would be with the size of his audience - ultimately it's just unrealistic to do 3d printed entries without making the contestants pay for their printing. Additionally I've never seen a design comp with such a format; usually it's a combination of renders and sketches. It's unfortunate because RP models are often such a poor representation of a design.

I agree on the voting, hopefully they forego that and just do judging. As it stands the voting format will likely miss a lot of great designs.

Asus X99-Deluxe  |  i7 5820k  |  16GB DDR4  |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G  |  Samsung 850 Evo + 840 Evo 500GB  |  NZXT H440