SilverStone Headphone Stand Design Contest

I went and liked and commented on every printed design i liked and then came here and found the ones that were better rendered and went and liked those. I don't think it should be determent by downloads anyway as not everyone has a reason to download because not everyone has a printer.

I generally like the designs that are more than just a stick on the wall, models that have things like folding, modular bits, cable management etc. just the ones that have imagination in them.

I'm also not keen on designs that will more take control of a theme in the man cave like the silverstone snow flake one but it is still a nice design and it stands out from the crowd.

Ya I tried to keep mine plain to suit most setups people would have while still providing options, honestly though at the time I didnt think of cable management beyond my own habit of coiling the cable around the headphone, I'm glad I'm in a design course to get keyshot because it let me show the design spray painted with various colours, if I dont win haha I think I'll still get the design 3d printed and do a nice sanding and spray job on it.

Ya I tried to keep mine plain to suit most setups people would have while still providing options, honestly though at the time I didnt think of cable management beyond my own habit of coiling the cable around the headphone, I'm glad I'm in a design course to get keyshot because it let me show the design spray painted with various colours, if I dont win haha I think I'll still get the design 3d printed and do a nice sanding and spray job on it.

I got a ridiculous quote of over €200 euro to get mine printed. I hope that was just one place.

I got a ridiculous quote of over €200 euro to get mine printed. I hope that was just one place.

My university Library has a 3d printer, they only charge students upto €2 or $2.22 US for each print, but their print area is 170mm x 170mm x 170mm, but im sure I could tweak the 3d files to work.

Well I found what they printed... and I must say I'm disappointed with their abilities.  I understand that with 700+ submissions they were swamped but as an engineer I would never accept the quality of work I see here.  They allowed me to attach directions and pictures along with the .STL file so there is no excuse for the mistakes seen.  If there was a problem they had my email and claimed that they would contact me(They did not).  I also understand that my design was "complicated" in that the design allowed the curved piece to be mounted 3 distinct ways to allow for flexibility of uses, here I would at least expect them to pick a way. 

This is what they printed

post-184902-0-77585400-1436110931.jpg

This is what It should have looked like

post-184902-0-36682300-1436110977_thumb.

post-184902-0-39581200-1436111005_thumb.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Well I found what they printed... and I must say I'm disappointed with their abilities.  I understand that with 700+ submissions they were swamped but as an engineer I would never accept the quality of work I see here.  They allowed me to attach directions and pictures along with the .STL file so there is no excuse for the mistakes seen.  If there was a problem they had my email and claimed that they would contact me(They did not).  I also understand that my design was "complicated" in that the design allowed the curved piece to be mounted 3 distinct ways to allow for flexibility of uses, here I would at least expect them to pick a way. 

attachicon.gifPrint.jpg

attachicon.gifoptions.jpg

attachicon.gifParrallel.jpg

that sucks man. I don't really see how LTT can even use these prints to pick a winner..... would've gone so much smoother if they just had people submit renderings and images for people to vote on, then have MMF print maybe like the top 20 or so that LTT and the community picked. I think in hindsight they are probably thinking the same thing, the whole thing kinda just blew up in their faces. 

that sucks man. I don't really see how LTT can even use these prints to pick a winner..... would've gone so much smoother if they just had people submit renderings and images for people to vote on, then have MMF print maybe like the top 20 or so that LTT and the community picked. I think in hindsight they are probably thinking the same thing, the whole thing kinda just blew up in their faces.

it's a shame really this will mean less chance of more competition's like this, I hope the competition is salvageable at this point.

The quality of the prints seems to differ a lot as well. Some look like if they have been filed by hand and others look like if the printer was broken. 

This is an example of one of my uploads, they didn't print the other half and even the headphones look disgusting.

45ed46ebd5fd65b314bf166d58907e04775ad31c

a62cd8e01d7fe8eff0ac0778e275b7178a5df07e

Gotta love black+yellow

Pages have been shuffled again, Most of the ones that were on page one are still on page one, i think they maybe ordered by downloads because it is stupidly unlikely that that many people weren't moved to other pages.

Pages have been shuffled again, Most of the ones that were on page one are still on page one, i think they maybe ordered by downloads because it is stupidly unlikely that that many people weren't moved to other pages.

i checked for that a while ago, but my models weren't sorted by downloads that's for sure, i didn't found the followed pattern, but maybe now it is, that was like 2 days after the models were public

I've just given up on this competition. I got an email back from them after letting them know they only uploaded a few of my files rather than the 30 designs I entered, and said that they were too similar and only printed a couple. A lazy argument could be made for maybe a few of them, but there would be no excuse not to print at least 10-15 of them. You can see the difference in the designs in my project booklet that I made and shared previously: https://www.behance.net/gallery/27181569/SilverStone-Design-Competition

Again, I'm not gonna get all grumpy about a free competition and free service, but if they are going to advertise and hold these types of competitions and stipulations for themselves, such as making good prints and printing as many entries as possible, then they should stick to them. I see them as a company completely differently after this, and can tell its a lot slower and amateur of a public relations operation than they give the impression of.

They also haven't given any notice on the planning for the rest of the competition, so who knows when the actual judging (since their voting is a joke at best) and LTT contribution will take place.....

I've just given up on this competition. I got an email back from them after letting them know they only uploaded a few of my files rather than the 30 designs I entered, and said that they were too similar and only printed a couple. A lazy argument could be made for maybe a few of them, but there would be no excuse not to print at least 10-15 of them. You can see the difference in the designs in my project booklet that I made and shared previously: https://www.behance.net/gallery/27181569/SilverStone-Design-Competition

Again, I'm not gonna get all grumpy about a free competition and free service, but if they are going to advertise and hold these types of competitions and stipulations for themselves, such as making good prints and printing as many entries as possible, then they should stick to them. I see them as a company completely differently after this, and can tell its a lot slower and amateur of a public relations operation than they give the impression of.

They also haven't given any notice on the planning for the rest of the competition, so who knows when the actual judging (since their voting is a joke at best) and LTT contribution will take place.....

Tbh, I wouldn't mind if LMG and Silverstone get pretty much all the say, so that there will be some consistency - as the whole system was pretty much a fail. There were so many dis/advantages for many people that didn't make a level playing field.

Furthermore, I don't know if you made renderings, as I know many people didn't. But a 3D printed model is for physical representation, rather than visual representation. What's the point of displaying a 3D printed model rather than a 3D CAD model, if it's strictly only going to be a visual representation. Not MyMiniFactory's fault on that one, since that's what they do, but the competition itself.

I agree. Especially since more than half of the models printed are in such bad quality that I would HOPE MyMiniFactory would be embarassed to send out as representations of their company to those that entered. It should have just been renders.

attachicon.gifPrint.jpg

attachicon.gifoptions.jpg

attachicon.gifParrallel.jpg

Wow, I thought my print was pathetic (https://www.myminifactory.com/object/9456 for a laugh) this is just sad, I'm sorry man.

So cool to see people embracing this. I think the design that wins is just a SMALL part of the big picture here. There are going to be TONS (so far over 80) headphone holder designs on myminifactory that anyone can download and print :D

When are the winners going to be announced?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I agree. Especially since more than half of the models printed are in such bad quality that I would HOPE MyMiniFactory would be embarassed to send out as representations of their company to those that entered. It should have just been renders.

This makes me sad, when a company knowingly releases junk rather then bite the bullet and due what is needed. On top of that there was no acknowledgment of the failure. A simple generic email stating "due to the amazing response the degree of attention may be limited".

Well this is a reason start ups fail, this weeks bottom dollar kept made Shapeways look better.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

I still need to sit down and find the ttime to go through 800 entires, so iot might take a bit.. :(

Can we get a timelapse of you sitting there for an eternity? :P

That would make an interesting video, 5 minutes of super fast forward and then 10 minutes going over thoughts on the final 10-12 contenders, then cliffhanger before final 4 or whatever is announced and winner is determined in later video... yeah, I just pitched a multi-part video. rather see it happen and have a multi-parter than get nothing to occupy those stretches of my free time.

hey I have a few questions. for the contest.

first, when will we see any infos on the thing ?

is the votes on the site what tells the first 10 winners ?

will we get the 3d printed design we made in plastic whatever happens ?

thanks !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I still need to sit down and find the ttime to go through 800 entires, so iot might take a bit.. :(

you can just stop now and make me the winner ya know :)

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/headphone-stand-by-givingtnt-hidden-screw-2-piece-design-9528

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

first, when will we see any infos on the thing ?

See linus' comment at the end of the previous page. to paraphrase: There were a lot of entries and they LTT hasn't gone through them all yet

is the votes on the site what tells the first 10 winners ?

From what i have read no. Cant remember the source.

will we get the 3d printed design we made in plastic whatever happens ?

No idea, after seeing the quality of the prints I don't really care.

See linus' comment at the end of the previous page. to paraphrase: There were a lot of entries and they LTT hasn't gone through them all yet

From what i have read no. Cant remember the source.

No idea, after seeing the quality of the prints I don't really care.

I do. mine worked well