Clean your video card cooler

I really need to do this... 

The dust that has built up on my 780ti's bare VRM's and chokes is really bad. And last time I checked it was building up around the GPU chip/die. 

Watching this disassembly and and re-assembly of a cooler is making me wonder how I didn't kill my card when I did it the last time.... 

1. Used way to much thermal paste

2. lost some of the thermal pads and they all fell off

3. did not use a cross pattern to remove tensioner screws 

4. used a pocket knife and tweezers to pull out the fan and LED connectors

5. Didn't use a "static free" surface. 

6. Didn't label the screws - That will REALLY bite me in the ARSE later. 

7. The cooler is currently somewhere hiding on my floor buried. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

How about the cleaning of the 6870? Would love to see a part two done on that.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Vesseled it already! :P

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

You can't tell me what to do!

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

now that you mention it, ill probably clean ye old dust bunny sometime this week :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This video is soooo last week ;)

Evil exists where good men fail to act.

".. and hair, which is a major sissue for pet owners"

THANK GOD! I'm allergic, well finally a positive thing out of that.

otherwise, nice video, not that im used to something else of course ;)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I had that same make/model 6870.

That cooler was the absolute worst.

Loud as hell and didn't cool for ****.

".. and hair, which is a major sissue for pet owners"

THANK GOD! I'm allergic, well finally a positive thing out of that.

otherwise, nice video, not that im used to something else of course ;)

How is it possitive that you are allergic? I don't have any pets and i'm not allergic. :P

How is it possitive that you are allergic? I don't have any pets and i'm not allergic. :P

ensures me of not having pets, atleast no hairy ones that is, saves time when cleaning :D

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Is this Part 1 of Chapter A of Episode 1 of the first season?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I allways use an old half toothbrush to clean my PC case and the Gpu's. My current Gpu's are actually quite good at getting rid of dust ands gives me access to get rid of the dust. Usually by blowing inbetween the gaps on the sides and top of the graphic card I can usually blow out most of the dust. Another tip every 1 or 2 months give your pc system a good clean. I again use my trusty old toothbrush and a hoover.  People say NEVER use a hoover because of static. This might be true for some people but ive been doing this for over 10 years now and its allways worked for me. Another tip don't get the hoover to close to inside your PC case. use the toothbrush to lift the dust off whatever surface your doing. Then have the hoover blow out the dust particles from within the case.

Customer's computer would turn off after a few minutes... i think i found the problem!

4Ac12Nz.jpg

Customer's computer would turn off after a few minutes... i think i found the problem!

That's about what the GTX 470 of my pal looked like when he complained that his PC doesn't work. After cleaning and readjusting the fan profile it sits at 82°C again. I'm thinking about reducing clock and voltage to squeeze out some more degrees. Not that he'll notice  :lol:

Great guide guys, thanks for the tips.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

I had one of those XFX 5870 cards myself. Watch out with those. Mine had its cooler permanently attached to the black choke that sticks up on the top of the PCB, which you can see at 4:01 in the video. I had to order a new choke which wasn't super easy, because they are only sold in bulk to large companies. But I managed to find a manufacturer, which was willing to send a sample of 2 chokes to me. Another thing is that they are surface mounted, which made it hard to solder the new one in.

Moral of the story. If you have removed all screws, and the cooler sticks to the PCB, watch out with using force to split the two parts!

Pu4vFz0.jpg

M1GLbhi.jpg

dseSDlE.jpg

What program did Linus use for the GPU fan speed?

Going by the opening shots at the start of that video you guys are utter slobs, Keep your work space clean, It aint hard, I work in a gym that any any given point has around 50 people in it this is with TV's, Computers in the offices and various machines but the place is always tidy, Get on it boys :)

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

100psi air compressor will work better than a dinky can of air. You can get fairly cheap "pancake" compressors online.

$60 bucks sounds like a lot, but then you factor in the cost over time of canned air, and it's a no brainer. Also the other cool things you can use with an air compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

At 100 psi with an air sprayer (with a small nozzle on it) you won't need to take any cooler apart, but be damned sure that fan doesn't spin freely.

(you may need to buy an air nozzle attachment and hose though.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Linus, I love what LTT has done over the years, I've liked almost every video you've put up... BUT, (yes there had to be a but in there) I didn't think this one was needed. At one point you said " take out all the screws you can find and pull it apart" Why couldn't that be said for the entire video?

may be a bit overly critical with this video, but, I think it's relatively simple common sense to clean your cards every once in a while and if they are running really hot under normal load (and they didn't used to do so) do a deeper cleaning. I felt this could have been a Techquickie video.

This just seemed like a waste of time for the LTT channel.

put the graphics card in the most dirty pc case you can find run it for a while especially with a blower style cooler and lawla dirty card!