Should I use and ssd as a boot drive only or not

Tomic

Should I use and ssd as a boot drive only or not And put games on there

Red Fury: Cpu intel i5 4960k GPU 1060 6gb, Cooling  noctua dh15 storage 1tb sshd 250gb ssd mobo gigabyte z97p-3 case fractal r4 ram hyper x fury red 8 gb psu 550w xfx ts os win 10 monitor lg 25um56 

boot will feel the most noticeable change from the SSD games only experience difference in load times.

windows will feel snappy with an SSD in place

Boot drive > game drive

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

SSDs don't slow down as more stuff gets put on them. However they do degrade with how often you read/write to them. I would put games that I know I would keep on them, and make sure big temp files to go your HDD, for instance my downloads folder is in my HDD not SSD. Basically, if you keep the file long enough and it benefits from increased read speeds, then go ahead and put it on the SSD. No reason to keep empty space on it just because (SSDs usually have empty space even when they appear full for write balancing purposes anyway).

How large is the SSD?

I don't know what one to buy

Red Fury: Cpu intel i5 4960k GPU 1060 6gb, Cooling  noctua dh15 storage 1tb sshd 250gb ssd mobo gigabyte z97p-3 case fractal r4 ram hyper x fury red 8 gb psu 550w xfx ts os win 10 monitor lg 25um56 

i put my OS on the ssd and games on hhd i put my mainly played game on the ssd only one game skyrim because with mods MAN you can wait 3 minutes for the loading of the game

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

If it is big enough you can use it for heavy apps or games.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I recommend the Crucial MX or BX100. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

i put my OS on the ssd and games on hhd i put my mainly played game on the ssd only one game skyrim because with mods MAN you can wait 3 minutes for the loading of the game

Using it as a boot drive is the best, but you can also use it for some games that take a long time to load. You can usually find a really good 500GB SSD for under $200 USD. That will hold your OS and a few games atleast

I was thinking of a crucial ssd as they have long reliability

I recommend the Crucial MX or BX100.

I was thinking of a crucial ssd as they have long reliability

And great warranty too.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

And great warranty too.

what's there warranty

Unless you're going for a 60GB SSD, install your OS and some games or applications on it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

what's there warranty

3 years.

Hey Tomic,

Having a SSD as a boot drive is a great idea as it will make your computer much more responsive, decrease the boot time and the loading times of everything that is installed on it. Moreover, it will make your system much more snappier and run smoother. do have in mind that SSDs are still more expensive in terms of $/GB and if one fails, it is almost impossible to retrieve data from it (unlike HDDs) so do have a backup/system image of all your important data.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/