[Updated] Verizon Scolds FiOS User for Consuming 7 TB Every Month

Mew

Most people also don't pay $315 for a 500 Mbps plan. He paid for a connection that could transfer tons of data, and then had the gall to actually use it. Clearly unreasonable to use your internet plan 30 hours per month.

Its Verizon, so we all know that they are smoking something 99% of the time.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Most people also don't pay $315 for a 500 Mbps plan. He paid for a connection that could transfer tons of data, and then had the gall to actually use it. Clearly unreasonable to use your internet plan 30 hours per month.

I wasn't commenting on that, i agree its silly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well damn, apparently I haven't been allowed to run Minecraft servers at all.

That's something I've known for a while. Back when Optimum (our local cable based isp) was having serious bandwidth issues and terrible customer support, I went digging around into other ISPs contracts to see who would let me host servers off my residential internet connection. Lights and sirens were going off when I started researching Verizon because they apparently reserve the right to void your contract and deny you service if they find evidence that you host a server out of your home. Luckily Optimum got their shit together and their now one of the top ISPs in the US because FIOS was clearly not an option.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

imo just let him burn out his drive(s) lol. 7tb a month is nuts

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

What?! Thats just stupid, in this day and age people who watch youtube or nexflix often can hit that amount. So unrealistic

Comcast has a ceiling of 250GB... It's bullshit.

they don't enforce this where i live.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

Well it's in TOS but Verizon didnt handle this well surprise surprise

Now if only they could come forward to 2015 not 1990

Pretty sure 7TB of computer data didn't exist in 1990, but I see your point :P

they don't enforce this where i live.

We used 500gb one month and they complained, but we argued with them over the phone and our limit is now 1tb :D

Data caps are not a real thing, they're an arbitrary line in the sand, drawn by a company that want's to charge you out the ass, nothing more.

Verizon....what the fuck are you doing. "dear high paying customer, you use our service too much, stop, or we will stop taking your money"......the fuck? That's not how you run a business, that's how you kill one.

If I was this customer, I'd have sent a letter back saying "If my money isn't good to you, I will take it elsewhere. Enjoy the loss of revenue you mindless fools". And disconnected my service for someone else (although there probably isn't anyone else.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

For $315/month he should be able to download as much as he like. What is the reason to pay so much for such connection if you cant use it to its full potential?

How do you even download 7TB a month? They have to be downloading like 24/7  :huh:

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

If Verizon has data cap per customer then they have all the right to warn the customer.

To cut him off is a bit drastic solution, they could just charge him little extra.

PS. I had no idea Folding at home can use about 5TB of data, that's insane.

PS². If people use so much data, does that increase load on provider's servers to the point it could not handle the traffic and cause disconnection for multiple users ?

If so, then why does not provider ensure to have plenty of headroom available for such situation (surely money can't be an issue) ?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I look at "unlimited" internet plans the same way I look at "all you can eat" buffets.

It's not really unlimited and if you're being excessive someone is probably going to kick you out.

When Canada was trying to institute data caps, I was using about 500 GB/month at my peak of anime/video game downloading. We're talking reinstalling my steam library multiple times, downloading dozens of anime shows in HD quality, tons of netflix streaming and that was just me. My sister and my parents both used netflix, and my sister downloaded her own games and anime and shit.

I can't even comprehend using 7 TB of data every month. My entire steam library currently consumes an entire 2 TB harddrive and probably another 500-1000 GB across three other harddrives and I would still have to redownload my entire library ~3 times over every month to use that much.

7 TB is nearly 10 GB an hour, 24/7 for the whole month.

Exactly, 7 TB is an absolutley stupid amount of data to go through an internet service.

What kind of unoptimized application needs 21 megabits a second for a whole month?

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

PS². If people use so much data, does that increase load on provider's servers to the point it could not handle the traffic and cause disconnection for multiple users ?

If so, then why does not provider ensure to have plenty of headroom available for such situation (surely money can't be an issue) ?

His connection is a 500 mbps connection. If he used that 24/7, he would have used about 162 TB in a month. So he has only used about 4.3% of what his connection could theoretically provide. Now, the infrastructure isn't designed for everyone to be able to use their connection 100% all the time, and 4.3% utilization is probably relatively high. But it's not monstrous, and probably wasn't having a negative effect. Pulling 500 mbps for a half hour every day during primetime would be much worse than pulling 100 mbps 24/7 for the entire month, even though the latter represents far more bandwidth usage.

If I want re-download my steam library 100x a month that's my business not my isps.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

you see, that bandwith usage is down and up combined

with his usage probably he is using uplink than downlink

because I believe with 500mbps line... you can go over 7TB easily.

fair use is fair use by terms, with him hogging the line probably the other people around his area get shitty latency or speed because he is using all of it

it's more infrastucture issue than the bandwith issue, but ... it's not his fault though.

but then again... every ISP and Server provider do this doesn't matter where you live.

even if you said you live in europe or somewhere else, when you go over Terabyte you will get a warning.

i keep seing this i think i should point this out for non north americans. Data caps are normal practice due ot limitations fo country internet links and private backbones. On almost all mobile plans its also capped. The reality is there is a cost to data due ot support infrastructure for moving said data. I think i have said enough

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I was but 150gbs a month? Just no

lol i hited that 150 GB limit because first and second time i downloaded GTA V 60 GB were not working, third one worked. and that was in 2 days LOL :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Apparently, a user of FiOS (F iOS? lol) was sent this letter:

ebb906f42cc0a231196f91978b402da6.png

for consuming 7 terabytes of data every month.

I'm not sure which side I want to side with- Verizon because this is a bit excessive, or the user because you should be able to do whatever you want with your connection however you want to do it.

What are your thoughts?

Source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Scolds-FiOS-User-For-Consuming-Seven-Terabytes-Monthly-133560

Well it's in the TOS.

Anyways what a shitty company, you should be able to use as much as you want...

If it's in the ToS, technically Verizon is right.

Can you back this up with proof? I say this a fair bit, it's not that I don't believe you, I just want to know from the source.

Verizon here is definitely in the wrong here 100%. They say it violates the TOS but "excessive" use has NO DEFINITION in the ToS. Its an arbitrary word that means whatever they want it to mean. Let's not forget that they also advertised no data caps.

I'll show you the math here and you'll see how asinine this really is on Verizon's part.

The customer has a contract for a 500 Megabit connection.

To reach 7 TB per month he would have to do either of of following scenarios (or anything in between but I'm keeping it simple for perspective):

1) Use full 500 Megabit per second for ~24 hours only. Use 0 Megabit for the other 29 days.

2) Use 20 Megabit per second for the full 30 days.

According to the customer his usage was more like scenario 2. So what Verizon is saying is that using 4% of the service he is paying for is "excessive" and are threatening to cancel his service.

He literally is being told he cannot use more than 4% of what he is paying for!

4%!

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I look at "unlimited" internet plans the same way I look at "all you can eat" buffets.

It's not really unlimited and if you're being excessive someone is probably going to kick you out.  

When Canada was trying to institute data caps, I was using about 500 GB/month at my peak of anime/video game downloading.  We're talking reinstalling my steam library multiple times, downloading dozens of anime shows in HD quality, tons of netflix streaming and that was just me.  My sister and my parents both used netflix, and my sister downloaded her own games and anime and shit.

I can't even comprehend using 7 TB of data every month.  My entire steam library currently consumes an entire 2 TB harddrive and probably another 500-1000 GB across three other harddrives and I would still have to redownload my entire library ~3 times over every month to use that much.

7 TB is nearly 10 GB an hour, 24/7 for the whole month.

Master race seeding and downloading torrents maybe

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Cough* shit speeds, throttling, data caps, impossible to cancel, no real customer service... *Cough

we have gigbit speeds, only a data cap in 2 areas Maine and Nashville,Tn, i am a customer service agent for them and am a real person, and their is a dedicated cancelation department, with the hours of 830pm-630pm m-sat.

Its a Championship not a Belt!

I'm guessing your in Maine or Nashville TN?

Its a Championship not a Belt!

As much as I hate most American ISP's for being complete douche bags I am inclined to agree with Verizon on this one. 7TB is insane, fair enough hes paying for 500Mb speeds but 7TB's of usage is insane, if he wants to use that he needs to get a business line and pay a proper premium instead of saturating a consumer network. That kind of usage can impact other peoples ability to use the internet.

I am a heavy user and I use nowhere near even 1TB a month. Although what do I know I can't see a meter of my usage. I use my internet for YouTube, Netflix, Gaming, Steam... Downloading the odd Movie/Album every so often. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I'm guessing your in Maine or Nashville TN?

Burlington, Vermont.