[Updated] Verizon Scolds FiOS User for Consuming 7 TB Every Month

Mew

Internet "speeds" ARE capacity. Ping is speed.

I never said everyone should be able to use 100% of their speed at once. Stop making things up.

It is a fact that most people are never using their connections to capacity which is exactly why it should be no problem when the one-off individual is.

The very fact that going to a "business plan" would alleviate any "problems" is in fact an admission that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the infrastructure in the first place and that the problem is purely artificial. Because the ONLY thing that changes by switching to a business plan is the amount of money he's paying. Nothing else.

Further more, he was only ever using 4% of what he is paying for. I am dying to hear how using 4% of of what he is paying for is "excessive".

Verizon is saying that FiOS lines are capped to 10terabytes now, so he's using 70% of what he is paying for. However, Verizon has also said, previously, that it's an unlimited line. 

Original post updated with Verizon's actual data cap. (10Tb)

It's 10TB, not Tb.

Verizon is saying that FiOS lines are capped to 10terabytes now, so he's using 70% of what he is paying for. However, Verizon has also said, previously, that it's an unlimited line. 

So false advertising and/or fraud?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You sell Gigabit speeds throttled down based on data usage and the type of content the user consumes, the cancellation department employees are retention agents, you can cancel but it will take a court order to be successful because employees are trained to avoid the cancellation process by verbally abusing customers and continuously asking why the customer wants to cancel their contracts with the "best provider" in the country. 

no, We have gigabit in one region right now, that is not throttled down, Atlanta, it does not require a court order, I cant speak for all, but The reps who i know myself included dont verbally abuse our customers, and yes by statistics of speed options for a Coax provider and ondemand content options we are best plain and simple

Its a Championship not a Belt!

no, We have gigabit in one region right now, that is not throttled down, Atlanta, it does not require a court order, I cant speak for all, but The reps who i know myself included dont verbally abuse our customers, and yes by statistics of speed options for a Coax provider and ondemand content options we are best plain and simple

gigabit in Atlanta only because Google Fiber is expanding there and all companies offer the same type of internet speeds and cable/on-demand options. However the other 4 companies (Time Warner, Dish, At&T, Verizon) all are bad to but they fullfil the services they promise much more often then Comcast does.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

This kinda reminds me of my 2mb connection (which is always at full usage) and my is gets surprised that we are saturating it.

- snip-

This kinda reminds me of my 2mb connection (which is always at full usage) and my is gets surprised that we are saturating it.

That kind of connection can fill an entire floppy disk in 6 seconds, how on Earth could you be saturating it for extended periods of time?!

"Unlimited" doesn't exist. Bandwidth is finite: there's only so much data that can be transferred at a time. The point of fair use policies is to ensure that one user isn't using so much of the bandwidth that other paying customers can't get the service that they are paying for.

This seems like that, rather than being an unnecessary bandwidth cap. 7TB per month is a lot, I don't think it's unreasonable for this to exceed a fair use policy.

The fact that they allow people to use between 4 and 10 TB at different times "depending on the market" implies to me that it is definitely fair use and not a data bandwidth cap. it seems like they're letting you use a lot of bandwidth when there aren't many other people using it.

"Unlimited" doesn't exist. Bandwidth is finite: there's only so much data that can be transferred at a time. The point of fair use policies is to ensure that one user isn't using so much of the bandwidth that other paying customers can't get the service that they are paying for.

This seems like that, rather than being an unnecessary bandwidth cap. 7TB per month is a lot, I don't think it's unreasonable for this to exceed a fair use policy.

The fact that they allow people to use between 4 and 10 TB at different times "depending on the market" implies to me that it is definitely fair use and not a data bandwidth cap. it seems like they're letting you use a lot of bandwidth when there aren't many other people using it.

7TB on a $315 connection is not a lot. I have a $40 connection and have pulled over a TB in a single month.

I liked the recent news that lots of americans are renouncing their citizenship and moving away.

I guess, the people who deserve better, will get better conditions of life. And the countries that are stupid will only lose out. Natural selection of country economies! We only need more of that!

10TB is more than enough, plus it's in the TOS, so yeah no right to complain

I have a 50GB monthly cap on my "unlimited" 12mbps DSL plan, fucking third world country

I'm torn on this issue. 7TB is a hell of a lot of data to burn through in a month for just one guy doing typical internet stuff. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that he went through all that data just from folding@home, so I think we can call bullshit on that. He has to be either running a server (in which case they'll obviously want him to pay for business class) or he's torrenting 24/7 or something like that. I think he would pretty much have to be unemployed and constantly downloading/uploading/streaming to recreationally burn through that much data in a month. Otherwise, I'd suspect he would have to be self-employed and running a server or something to even reach anywhere near 7TB in a month.

At the same time, the guy is paying $315 a month! FFS, how much do they charge for business class? While he's obviously full of shit with his story that he's just folding@home, if I was paying $315 a month, I'd be a little pissed if I got data-capped.

Another thing, the TOS does make mention of excessive usage. I don't know if this guy's plan is marketed as "unlimited" but if it is, that's false advertising. If it's advertised as unlimited but it's not really unlimited, then they need to stop marketing it as that. Also, if they're going to put a cap on people, they need to explicitly state where the cap is, not just have a vague statement in the TOS that "we prohibit you from using a bunch of bandwidth". People need to know exactly how much they're allotted. 

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

Also the argument regarding internet as a finite resource. Shouldn't the ISP be responsible for determining what speeds and capacity they can handle? They shouldn't sell a 500mbps line if they can't support it. This brings in the idea that not everyone is using 100% of their capable internet connection all the time which is why ISPs can sell such speeds. Well in that case, why not let this man use 100% of his connection? You used that logic to sell faster lines but then you turn around and say that logic doesn't apply when it doesn't benefit you anymore?

So according to the update FIOS has a 10TB monthly cap. The user used 7TB worth of his monthly allocation. So why would he get a letter scolding him when he is well under the monthly cap and is well within his rights to use it all?

These massive companies are getting out of control. Something needs to be done about them immediately or they will ruin everything that has been done for the good of the people. Not that they havent already ruined enough.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

So according to the update FIOS has a 10TB monthly cap. The user used 7TB worth of his monthly allocation. So why would he get a letter scolding him when he is well under the monthly cap and is well within his rights to use it all?

It's not really a cap. It's just the point at which Verizon is known to start complaining to customers that they are using too much, even though their plan's terms of service do not specify any hard data cap.

This article suggests that the "cap" is anywhere from 4TB - 10TB, depending on the "market": http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Scolds-FiOS-User-For-Consuming-Seven-Terabytes-Monthly-133560