[Updated] Verizon Scolds FiOS User for Consuming 7 TB Every Month

Mew

that user is clearly running a server from home  and it not allowed by the tos he has no right to say any thing unless he upgrade to the business class connection.

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. Except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement, you may not resell, re-provision or rent the Service, (either for a fee or without charge) or allow third parties to use the Service via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service through a single Verizon-issued IP address, and if available through the Service, you may permit guests to access the Internet through your Service’s Wi-Fi capabilities. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this Section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

http://www.verizon.com/about/terms/

If you dig through their ToS you don't actually find anything, they make open ended legal statements so they can do what they want.

Source

Well damn, apparently I haven't been allowed to run Minecraft servers at all.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This is the second time I saw an article on here today about how corrupt Verizon is. I get it, they are pieces of shit that take peoples money, but they also do provide pretty decent service. When my dad switched to Optimum our internet speed wasn't as fast (mainly due to Optimum being cable and not fiber) and more frequent disconnects.

Life.exe is missing

No fucking way it's using that much, unless he's running dozens of machines.

I do 1-2TB a month just on one pc alone with a 50/5 connection from TWC so 7TB a month doesn't seem very hard with speeds exceeding 150Mbps.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Looks like Verizon has lowered it from 77TB to 7TB, heh.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/23/fios-customer-discovers-the-limits-of-unlimited-data-77-tb-in-month/

Seriously though, they need to make up their mind. We Fios customers are technically paying for unlimited data, and that's what they advertise. There is no given data cap. If no data cap is present, why shouldn't I be able to use 7TB or even 77TB a month? That's Verizon's fault for not stating what the cap is. 

COMIC SANS

I currently use my mobile 3g ($2/day for unlimited text/calls/data within aus) and they hate it when i use more than 1gb/day.

Usually throttling my service until I ring up and complain or re-connect to the closest tower, although admittedly I have used 134gb this month.

I'm sure if you used 23tb with optus they would love you though, the bill would be ridiculous.

$90 a month for 30mbit or $105 for 100mbit

lol an acceptable amount according to verizon is probably 150GB

Well, I think the data cap should increase as the speed tier increases. The person in the article has a 500 up and 500 down line, so they should have a higher cap. However, using that amount of data, even for the benefit of humanity, is a bit insane.

If you dig through their ToS you don't actually find anything, they make open ended legal statements so they can do what they want.

Source

Well if its an unlimited plan, then he didn't exceed the bandwidth usage limitations. Its a bit confusing as they offer unlimited plans (which mean that you have an unlimited quota), then they add to their TOS "For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes". That really makes things confusing and implying that an unlimited plan can be limited means that they don't know what they're doing, or they are falsely advertising.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'll have to invest in this when I move houses in a couple months.

Do you know how long the contract would be for? (sorry for the 20 questions).

Using mobile data isn't the most reliable, I often get quite a large amount of packet loss which makes online games like CS very interesting :lol:

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

*sigh* and to think I'm stuck on 10/1 ADSL 2+ @ 100GB for $50. (It was 75GB with 5GB added at no extra cost every 6 months up to 150GB, but they decided to change their policy/plans. good because I needed the extra 25GB to get me through the month, bad because now I have to watch what I do to not go over the limit-I miss the doubled quota they gave out during summer).

PMSL

I live in Mexico, shitty internet but you can use as much as you want or can.

It's not all shitty, depends on where you live you can get fiber up to 200mbps up AND down from Axtel for example, here in Monterrey I get fiber from Telmex but it's capped severely since I'm on their lowest available plan which gives me 20/5mbps

Back on topic, The cap wouldn't be so unreasonable if he wasn't paying 315 fucking dollars. I'm sure you can get that much bandwidth allowance and perhaps more if you were to buy a server. And no the issue isn't "you're downloading too much" the issue is Verizon fucking selling a speed they can't fucking sustain on their infrastructure and betting that nobody will ever get anywhere near what they're paying for in terms of usage.

Data caps are fucking stupid, the internet is not a finite resource, given proper infrastructure you can sustain those transfers and more.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Using mobile data isn't the most reliable, I often get quite a large amount of packet loss which makes online games like CS very interesting :lol:

Mobile data, the bane of everyone in a internet blackspot-which normally exist because Telstra forgets that we aren't in the 80's anymore and actually have a things such as computers and the internet.

PMSL

We'll just give you a high speed line and cap you to 7 TB, because we are Comcast Verizon and that's what we do! Honestly I will stick to paying TimeWarner ridiculous pricing just to have no data caps at all. Data caps should just be done away with this day in age on all fronts.

Apparently, a user of FiOS (F iOS? lol) was sent this letter:

ebb906f42cc0a231196f91978b402da6.png

for consuming 7 terabytes of data every month.

I'm not sure which side I want to side with- Verizon because this is a bit excessive, or the user because you should be able to do whatever you want with your connection however you want to do it.

What are your thoughts?

Source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Scolds-FiOS-User-For-Consuming-Seven-Terabytes-Monthly-133560

Wait they sell a 500 mbps service but they dont expect people to use a lot of data? Really? Let me get dat 315$ a month service so I can check my emails.

FYI at 500 mbps, it takes something like 30 hours to download 7 tb.

When Canada was trying to institute data caps, I was using about 500 GB/month at my peak of anime/video game downloading.  We're talking reinstalling my steam library multiple times, downloading dozens of anime shows in HD quality, tons of netflix streaming and that was just me.  My sister and my parents both used netflix, and my sister downloaded her own games and anime and shit.

There's literally games on steam, today, that require more then the maximum bandwidth cap on basic high speed internet. ( depending on ISP it's often 50 or 60 gb)

Wait they sell a 500 mbps service but they dont expect people to use a lot of data? Really? Let me get dat 315$ a month service so I can check my emails.

FYI at 500 mbps, it takes something like 30 hours to download 7 tb.

I'd almost kill for that kind of internet service.

PMSL

Mobile data, the bane of everyone in a internet blackspot-which normally exist because Telstra forgets that we aren't in the 80's anymore and actually have a things such as computers and the internet.

Usually they put ridiculous prices on mobile broadband, like Telstra used to have $2/mb. Just in case you had appsync turned on :lol:

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Usually they put ridiculous prices on mobile broadband, like Telstra used to have $2/mb. Just in case you had appsync turned on :lol:

Example of Telstra's shittyness: (editing)

• 15GB/month for $85 or $5.67 per GB
  • 25GB/month for $150 or $6 per GB

That's a quarter of the data per month I have, for 3 times the price.

PMSL

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/promotions/unlimited-broadband-bundle-deals?SID=con:bundl:Netflx:bundl:afeat:ip24un:none

Plus the $15 speed boost

If it's in the ToS, technically Verizon is right.

... and technically, if it also says in their ToS, "We reserve the right to be complete dicks", technically Verizon is right.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Meanwhile Optus Australia don't care if you munch 23TB on cable.

Which is why Optus Cable suffers from massive congestion problems.

Depending on the CVC of the infrastructure you will find that consuming 7TB a month is very expensive for an ISP and is likely to make them lose a profit. Consuming so much data and using that amount of bandwidth is meant for business plans. Seems like the only way to use 7 TB in one month would be to use it for business purposes.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

So how is Comcast so bad, we dont have Data caps, or send these letters to our customers.

Cough* shit speeds, throttling, data caps, impossible to cancel, no real customer service... *Cough

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

... and technically, if it also says in their ToS, "We reserve the right to be complete dicks", technically Verizon is right.

"You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service"

Doesn't this guy have an unlimited plan?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Most I have done is about 3-4TB in 1 month.

I think for me it's around 5-7, a little over 700GB was done in a day xD

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6