Video Game Hall of Fame finalists

Bouzoo

I did a post about the Hall of Fame in February, but now we've got the first finalists.

Quote:"The Strong National Museum of Play revealed the fifteen finalists for its inaugural World Video Game Hall of Fame today, after announcing the initiative back in February. The selections range from gaming's earliest arcade icons — like Pong,Pac-Man and Space Invaders — to modern megahits like Angry Birds and Minecraft.

Angry Birds

DOOM

FIFA

The Legend of Zelda

Minecraft

The Oregon Trail

Pac-Man

Pokémon

Pong

The Sims

Sonic the Hedgehog

Space Invaders

Super Mario Bros.

Tetris

World of Warcraft"

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/28/8510217/video-game-hall-of-fame-finalists

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Out of them, Tetris on sheer numbers but Mario for success. Mario World & Mario 64 remain in my all time fave games list.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

No Half-Life, no Quake, no Deux Ex? All revolutionary in their own way at the time.

Half-Life, in particular, revolutionized the way storytelling happened in gaming. Modernizing the FPS genre, as well as scripted story telling and action sequences, not to mention character modelling and voice acting.

Deus Ex also practically invented the genre of "Action RPG", or an Action/FPS game with RPG elements.

Boo. Some deserve to be up there, others, I disagree with.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

WoW made it but Diablo I / II or the franchise as a whole didn't? what the fuck?

and lmfao, angry birds.. how stupid

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

WoW made it but Diablo I / II or the franchise as a whole didn't? what the fuck?

and lmfao, angry birds.. how stupid

Angry Birds did revolutionize modern mobile gaming though. It was one of the very first big "WOW" games on phones that people would legitimately love to play. Even if the game is dumb as fuck, and all it's sequels are even more cookie cutter than COD and BF.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Angry Birds did revolutionize modern mobile gaming though. It was one of the very first big "WOW" games on phones that people would legitimately love to play. Even if the game is dumb as fuck, and all it's sequels are even more cookie cutter than COD and BF.

It may have done that, but I wouldn't put it up there in the first Hall of Fame draft.

It may have done that, but I wouldn't put it up there in the first Hall of Fame draft.

this is basically what i meant.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

I honestly dont mind this list too much ive seen alot worse.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I am not personally a player, but what about league of legends? It is the largest game in ESports to date.

Why not? Because you don't like those games? I don't like The Sims or Minecraft, but I still feel that they deserve to be there.

@Victorious Secret to be fair, I think HALO should be on there too. The advertising for that series is fucking brilliant, with some of the ads and CGI cutscenes better quality then $100 Million action movies.

Seriously, Neill Blomkamp, where's our HALO movie, bitch?

Why not? Because you don't like those games? I don't like The Sims or Minecraft, but I still feel that they deserve to be there.

@Victorious Secret to be fair, I think HALO should be on there too. The advertising for that series is fucking brilliant, with some of the ads and CGI cutscenes better quality then $100 Million action movies.

Seriously, Neill Blomkamp, where's our HALO movie, bitch?

Well, if BLUR pulls it off with the Deadpool movie, it might give MS the confidence they need to give BLUR that big a budget to make it happen. 

Halo isn't a series that needs exposition and Jason Bourne levels of intrigue. We need set piece after set piece. Thats pretty much it. Action, more action, and oh yea; action. 

I did a post about the Hall of Fame in February, but now we've got the first finalists.

Quote:"The Strong National Museum of Play revealed the fifteen finalists for its inaugural World Video Game Hall of Fame today, after announcing the initiative back in February. The selections range from gaming's earliest arcade icons — like Pong,Pac-Man and Space Invaders — to modern megahits like Angry Birds and Minecraft.

Angry Birds

Really?

the-funny-nope-10.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Being popular is not revolutionary. There are no game features or gameplay elements that made it popular, it was just in the right place at the right time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Super Mario Bros. for impact

Pokemon for bringing RPG into mainstream and knowing how to merchandise

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why not? Because you don't like those games?

I did play it, and I liked it for some time, I'll be honest. But to put Angry birds there, instead of, let's say Tennis for Two, or Mortal Kombat, or Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Warcraft (RTS), Monkey Island, Diablo, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft and on and on the list goes, hell I'd put Snake on old Nokia phones there because it had bigger impact altogether, doesn't make sense to me. See, I don't hate the game, but It wasn't that significant for gaming. But someone else thinks it deserves ti be there so, yeah, here we are.

Another useless shitbank rating games by sales and virality.

Museums should be dedicated to art and history. Not consumerism. But I guess getting America to understand that memo is going to be like teaching a penguin the value of a fridge.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The hall of fame, like others, will grow over time. :P

My homeboy Link is up there, so I'm happy. xD

Other than games as a whole, I wonder if they'll have sections for characters. Or if characters like Mario, are just going to be under Super Mario Bros.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

To be fair--we all know the real MVP of that list... is Pong.  

Yeah.. Half-Life and Deus Ex should be on there, but my vote is cast to WoW.  

I think this list is pointless seeing how there are absolutely no specifications on what qualifies as a "hall of fame game". Any number of the games listed among the finalists and on this thread could be #1 depending on what "hall of fame" means to you.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

but.. but.: CS:GO!!!

To be fair, CS:GO should not be on, since the basic formula has been the same since original CS ver. 1.x. I DO think that CS 1.x deserves to be on there - for multiple reasons, including helping the birth of e-Sports, as well as being a fan-made mod of another game-turned full-game release.

EDIT: Correction: Birth of modern e-Sports. There were ancient rights of passage for competitive video gaming as far back as the very distant 1972.

I'm a bit disappointed that Final Fantasy series of video games is left out. I am definitely biased, but they completely changed the RPG genre at their height; games VII and VIII sold more than any of the Zelda titles, and are responsible for games beginning to focus on their plots as much as they had their puzzles. Nothing against Legen of Zelda or Pokemon, love both those games, but I'd rather see a FF title up there over 'Angry Birds'. As far as getting the every day person to casually play a video game, I feel Tetris was much better at that considering it was during a time when there weren't smart phones (meaning you couldn't just willy-nilly install it and play).