Audi Has Made Diesel From Water And Carbon Dioxide

givingtnt

CO2 + H2O <=> H2CO3 ...

Correction:

CO2 + H2O + ΔE <=> H2CO3

Sure reactions can go both ways but the equilibrium in this case means the reactants are favored and the reaction is nonspontaneous.

Of if it was this simple, oil companies simply won't let this happen. Very cool nonetheless.

Oil doesn't have that huge impact worldwide. Most countries have over half their cars using Diesel, which nowadays has a biological part.

Correction:

CO2 + H2O + ΔE <=> H2CO3

Sure reactions can go both ways but the equilibrium in this case means the reactants are favored and the reaction is nonspontaneous.

If you read the article they state the process happens under the conditions of high tenprature and pressure.

What's more interesting is that this uses the fischer-tropsch process discovered in 1925 and is already adopted by other companies, but audi is the first to make it happen with a CO2 neutral result(not adding or reducint carbondioxide) while others have a CO2 negative result(more pollution)

Altough this is not Volkswagens first attempt(audi is part of VW group) its good to see they didnt give up yet after the failure in 2011 where the company which was sponserd by them(VW and shell) went bankrupt.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Every time we have a thread about a new process for producing fuel/energy a handful of people point out that it takes more energy to make it than you will get from it.

Better look up the first law of thermodynamics. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Capitalism is great at monopolising economic rent and only so so at innovation. Finding applications for existing technology is all well and good but actual cutting edge research is overwhelmingly not done by corporation. There is no foreseeable economic return in most research; for example it took decades for Einstein's work on relativity to find an application in GPS.

Governments lay the essential groundwork for economic growth; a few examples are building infrastructure, educating the next generation of workers, creating a legal system enforcement of contracts and protection of property, providing public goods that the market will undersupply and healthcare so becoming sick or getting injured doesn't leave you destitute.

Not quite accurate on Capitalism, and to be fair, what we've had isn't. At best its corporatism. And a lot of that presumed dicta ignores a lot of historical precedent.

But, in this case Germany once again shows how hard working people will put out good work. I could have sworn auto union and Porsche were involved in the synthetic fuel works in WWII Germany but cannot find the reference, I may be misremembering, but this is definitely a massive step forward, not needing coal on the one hand, and feasibly being capable of self-contained locally powered generation on the other. Pipe some water, sequester some CO2, have refueling stations all over with a couple solar panels or a kite generator.

Now fuck russians in the ass, and make germany the overlord of europe again.

Of if it was this simple, oil companies simply won't let this happen. Very cool nonetheless.

It's not up to the oil companies because our planet is actually running out of fossil fuels. It won't take long for the government to cut off public supply to keep reserves for the military (everything that needs oil) and we need to have a dependable alternative by then whether it be electricity, hydrogen or something else.

It's not up to the oil companies because our planet is actually running out of fossil fuels. It won't take long for the government to cut off public supply to keep reserves for the military (everything that needs oil) and we need to have a dependable alternative by then whether it be electricity, hydrogen or something else.

not is not. not for some decades at least

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I'd be willing to bet that it takes more energy to create than is actually in it, so unless we have cleaner energy sources, it is simply shifting the problem from one place to another.

The U.S. Navy has been looking at doing the same thing for jet fuel. None of these processes are efficient yet and definitely won't help with creation of a stable energy supply, but there's a lot of potential in certain situations.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Our planet is actually drying up because of our dependency on fossil fuels. In a couple of decades which isn't long at all we will end up cut off sooner than expected as the government will want to reserve what's left for our armed forces. They will reserve enough to sustain war until they can replenish our armed forces with alternative vehicles running on an alternative power source. It will likely happen in most of our lifetime.

As price goes up alternative methods of creating compatible fuels will become more inviting and better supported. Sunflower and biodiesel, algae and hydrolizing, CNG and hydrocarbon cracking. The possibilities are endless.

Do you realise what you just wrote. Decades... Earth is ~4.56B years old. Oil that we use is millions of years old and we are going to use it all up in a couple of decades. How can you not see this as a problem.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Our planet is actually drying up because of our dependency on fossil fuels. In a couple of decades which isn't long at all we will end up cut off sooner than expected as the government will want to reserve what's left for our armed forces. They will reserve enough to sustain war until they can replenish our armed forces with alternative vehicles running on an alternative power source. It will likely happen in most of our lifetime.

It is not drying up at all. it just gets harder to recover more from already developed fields.

The US only managed to get back in the oil game through high oil prices and the fracking boom. They were almost always depended on oil import anyway.

Before any govnerment has to stop selling oil, the (international) market will already have taken care of it by skyrocketing prices.

I am not saying, that we shouldn't look for a sustainable alternative.

Do you realise what you just wrote. Decades... Earth is ~4.56B years old. Oil that we use is millions of years old and we are going to use it all up in a couple of decades. How can you not see this as a problem.

*sigh* I could have written centuries as well. And you know, it won't be the case, that there is no more oil in/on earth, but rather that it won't be economical viable to recover it for things like individual transportation. If you know a bit about sustainability, you would see why it is not necessarily a problem. Also every major car manufacturer and tons of other companies are working on alternatives, but for them to really take off oil prices have to first rise again.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I don't know how to feel about this ... Is the Diesel less potent that real Diesel though ? If Carbon emission is lesser than Real Diesel then that would be a WIN-WIN ( Except we would have to use water ... )

I think it's carbon neutral since the only carbon that it burns is the carbon that was in the air anyways

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

It is not drying up at all. it just gets harder to recover more from already developed fields.

The US only managed to get back in the oil game through high oil prices and the fracking boom. They were almost always depended on oil import anyway.

Before any govnerment has to stop selling oil, the (international) market will already have taken care of it by skyrocketing prices.

I am not saying, that we shouldn't look for a sustainable alternative.

*sigh* I could have written centuries as well. And you know, it won't be the case, that there is no more oil in/on earth, but rather that it won't be economical viable to recover it for things like individual transportation. If you know a bit about sustainability, you would see why it is not necessarily a problem. Also every major car manufacturer and tons of other companies are working on alternatives, but for them to really take off oil prices have to first rise again.

Fracking is pretty dangerous for the underground water supply just like every other method that is left. We will run out of oil that is less damaging even though it already is fairly damaging. I would not like to see Russia trying to get the oil below Arctic because that could easily go bad really fast.

I personally think that nuclear power is the only non renewing energy source we should be using. Just because its the only one that can sustain our needs. But hey maybe biofuel is where it's at. For this audi method it is most likely inefficient because we all know energy stored in a bond needs to be put in there by the reaction (pressure and heat) and then again releasing that energy is inefficient by itself.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Amazing scientific progress!

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

I think it's carbon neutral since the only carbon that it burns is the carbon that was in the air anyways

Wait ... I just had the most awesome idea , what If we made it so small that it can fit into the car ? Then it can take CO2 and water molecules from the air and burn it that way ... Infinite energy ?  

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Wait ... I just had the most awesome idea , what If we made it so small that it can fit into the car ? Then it can take CO2 and water molecules from the air and burn it that way ... Infinite energy ?  

I hope you understand that in the universe we live in infinite energy is not possible.

And the equipment needed for heat and pressure would be extremely heavy even if you minimized it as much as possible. It is probably easier to fit a nuclear reactor in a car instead of this.

Spoiler

I hope you understand that in the universe we live in infinite energy is not possible.

And the equipment needed for heat and pressure would be extremely heavy even if you minimized it as much as possible. It is probably easier to fit a nuclear reactor in a car instead of this.

But I thought Energy don't disappear , they just turn from one form to the other ... 

It's a theory and I was hoping that it would be possible ... Oh well ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

CO2 + H2O <=> H2CO3 ...

Correction:

CO2 + H2O + ΔE <=> H2CO3

Still what you have created is carbonic acid. :P

who cares...

But I thought Energy don't disappear , they just turn from one form to the other ... 

It's a theory and I was hoping that it would be possible ... Oh well ... 

First of all nothing is 100% efficient because there is gravity on our planet. Then there is friction. And then there is entropy, every system will lose some energy that is turned into work.

That is why perpetual motion is not even researched anymore it's just impossible in the universe as we know it.

Spoiler

----error double post---- 

Spoiler