Skyrim paid mods are gone

Lightning

I'd like to think it was for the community mainly because they would've continued it if they thought that there was A) Prospect for future investment and B) the chance to still monetize off of it -- with the community backlash provided (some of it kinda funny, but all in all serious) and reversal of decision, I feel that they'll give some serious thought if they consider trying paid mods again. 

To give my two cents, some of my favorite mods of all time were all done without the support of first party developers and storefronts -- it was %100 funded by donations and the people who created and helped to create them. ex: Fallout: Project Brazil, Skyrim: Become a Lord, New Vegas Bounties, Fallout 3 Underground homes, all of the Fallout revamp projects -- the list goes on and on. 

I am speechless ....

and that is saying something for people who know me on here and elsewhere and in real life.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Meanwhile, "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition" has doubled in price on Steam. So has the base game without DLC. They are now $39.99 and $19.99 respectively. I made a post regarding this, how they're capitalizing off of the negative exposure this event has brought. It's a shame from all parties involved. Including gamers. The game is now a top seller again despite the controversy and, not only a raise, but the price doubling.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Meanwhile, "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition" has doubled in price on Steam. So has the base game without DLC. They are now $39.99 and $19.99 respectively. I made a post regarding this, how they're capitalizing off of the negative exposure this event has brought. It's a shame from all parties involved. Including gamers. The game is now a top seller again despite the controversy and, not only a raise, but the price doubling.

? Are you accounting for the sale that they had this weekend where it was probably half price? The legendary edition has been 40 dollars for a long time now.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Glad that this system is gone. Don't think paid mods will be coming back soon...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Good, but the damage has already been done. We know their true faces now.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Their greedy experiment failed. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I'm alright with paid mods... Just not how it was implemented.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Hell, I would be fine with paying for mods, I've done this in the past for some great oblivion mods, but them sacking in 75% of the revenue and then saying "we want mod creators to live off of that work" is just hilarious and utter bullshit.

I think I'm gonna stay away from Steam as good as I can in the next while, they seem to become a bit shady and I don't like that.

Also removing Paypal donation links so they can make sure they get their 75% split, is just further evidence how many fucks valve gives about this whole issue.

We voted with our wallets and went against it. Valve saw it's mistake and corrected it but I would still like to have a donate button where Valve gets 5% cut and original dev gets 5% and the mod creator gets 90%. That is fair.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Is this where everyone goes back to "BASED LORD GABE XXXDXDXDXDDXDXDXDXDXXD"?

Nope!

Frankly I'm glad. Gabe's a businessman, and we shouldn't "ironically" pretend to be corporate slaves while simultaneously mocking people who are corporate slaves and actually being corporate slaves ourselves.

This was never going to work, but it's even more infuriating how strongly that press statement smells of bullshit. "our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to..." Yeah, right, while Valve taking 75% of the profit... Also, who the hell thought it was a good idea to let people ask for money on mods that might not work, might break after a patch, might break after an other mod has been updated, might have unforeseeable effects down the line. Yeah, great idea, Valve...

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Donation button at least xD?

To be fair, that would be A LOT better. A bit of the donation goes to steam for handling the transaction.

Hell, I would be fine with paying for mods, I've done this in the past for some great oblivion mods, but them sacking in 75% of the revenue and then saying "we want mod creators to live off of that work" is just hilarious and utter bullshit.

I think I'm gonna stay away from Steam as good as I can in the next while, they seem to become a bit shady and I don't like that.

Also removing Paypal donation links so they can make sure they get their 75% split, is just further evidence how many fucks valve gives about this whole issue.

Bethesda decided the 75%, not Valve. Even with this stuff, steam is till the best digital distribution platform out there, whether you like it or not.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

This was never going to work, but it's even more infuriating how strongly that press statement smells of bullshit. "our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to..." Yeah, right, while Valve taking 75% of the profit...

Valve didn't take 75%. That's a myth flying around. They took their usual 30% steam cut.

The problem is that once they have taken their 30% and Bethesda has taken their 45%, then that leaves the mod maker with only 25% which isn't good enough.

I don't think this is a cash grab by Bethesda or Valve. But I do see the fact that the mod maker only got 25% as a major problem.

Sad really I believe that paid mods make sense the work that goes into making them is insane. The problem was that Valve took 75%, should have been 25% and the rest going to the mod maker. With that in place a few months to let the market find stability in what is worth what and I think it could have been a great thing for modding.

Really people shell out insane money for stupid DLC, but seemingly don't want to spend on quality mods.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

They aren't gone at all.

tamluz.png

It openly states there that they still intend to introduce paid mods, they just realized starting it out with a four year old game with an established modding community is a garbage idea. They'll start it with Fallout 4 or some other game whose modding community isn't so zealous, and then they'll spread it to future Bethesda games and other games.

They are just as evil, and they are just as open to ruining the modding community to make some dosh.

They aren't gone at all.

It openly states there that they still intend to introduce paid mods, they just realized starting it out with a four year old game with an established modding community is a garbage idea. They'll start it with Fallout 4 or some other game whose modding community isn't so zealous, and then they'll spread it to future Bethesda games and other games.

They are just as evil, and they are just as open to ruining the modding community to make some dosh.

I think you're reading a little too much into that. They don't discount the possibility, but nowhere in there does it say they're planning to start this again.

After the PR nightmare this gave them, I doubt they'd revisit it.

Do people actually think paid mods is a good idea in ANY capacity?

• Mods are almost always community made, they aren't just one guy behind them. Normally all sorts of people jump in and make changes, updates and improvements to mods. SkyUI is made by an entire community if I remember right. Just one person getting some compensation for it makes zero sense, when normally so many other people (normally just random guys on the internet) also put work into them.
  • What happens as soon as Skyrim updates, that mod is suddenly broken, and the creator has abandoned the mod? Good job, you've just wasted your money, and the mod creator has run off with the cash with no intention of updating his mod.
  • What happens when the mod you just paid for doesn't work with any of your other mods and creates all sorts of problems and inconsitencies?
  • What happens when the mod you just paid for wipes all your save files and corrupts core gameplay files?
  • What happens when the mod you just paid for works for 24 hours, then suddenly goes wrong on the 25th hour?

Paying for mods is a fucking horrible idea. It isn't the same as other content creator platforms like videos or music. That's the reason they have always been free. You make a fun little mod as a hobby, in exchange you get access to a whole fucking community of mods. If something goes wrong, it doesn't matter because you didn't pay anything for it.

I think you're reading a little too much into that. They don't discount the possibility, but nowhere in there does it say they're planning to start this again.

After the PR nightmare this gave them, I doubt they'd revisit it.

Of course it doesn't outright say "we will implement it again", but read between the lines.

Sad really I believe that paid mods make sense the work that goes into making them is insane. The problem was that Valve took 75%, should have been 25% and the rest going to the mod maker. With that in place a few months to let the market find stability in what is worth what and I think it could have been a great thing for modding.

Really people shell out insane money for stupid DLC, but seemingly don't want to spend on quality mods.

That's because people know the the mods are free. People bought Skyrim because they know they could do so much more for free. And when you decide to change that overnight, fans be raging.  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

consumer 1 - over 9000 corporation

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The problem was that Valve took 75%, should have been 25% and the rest going to the mod maker.

Valve took 30%. Bethesda 45%. Mod maker 25%.

But the mod maker getting 25% is only part of the problem. The bigger problem here is that skyrim is an existing game with a big community who already have a set of expectations regarding how the mod scene works for this game. So changing that overnight was not clever from Bethesda/Valve. And that's without even getting into the other issues described above such as mod makers building on top of other people's work, compatibility issues etc.. That needs to be addressed if paid mods come back in another game. Which I hope they do in a different improved form as it's good for modders. The fact that modders were never allowed to sell in the past doesn't mean that they never should be allowed to sell. Just like they should be allowed to give it away for free if they choose to do so.

I think the general idea behind paying for mods was good but the execution was horrendous. I want them to try again but this time respect there community, oh what... I forgot I was talking about valve, they dont care.

I feel like Gaben did this on purpose, put them up with the intention of removing them a week later to help his reputation

Very unlikely, since most of the "worshippers" (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/) now see GabeN as the "false God" and, as such, all trust to him and Valve is currently lost.

They'll need to work hard to regain any of that trust. This paid mods debacle, as well as GabeN's short AMA on /r/games a few days ago, seriously made a lot of people change their minds about Valve in a matter of hours.