Replacing the Apple Watch’s battery is easy, replacing the S1 is hard

Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

Locked this thread. Unfortunately some of you felt it necessary to start insulting others and, as a result, most of this thread is unnecessary garbage. Whoop dee doo.

Free LTT Forums Protip:

Don't like someone's argument? Good on you! Go into discussion about their arguments with counter-arguments and reasoning.

Don't like someone? Tough luck. Go to your ignore settings and add them for all I care, but don't start arguing about them.

Think someone crossed the line? Superb, thanks for noticing! Please do ignore the offense and file a report. A mod will be on it ASAP.

Totally not news. Yea it's not the easiest to repair. Plenty of reasons why.

Anyway, have you ever seen what goes on inside a (good) mechanical watch? It's absolute insanity. I'd never attempt self repair on my Rolex, and wouldn't expect to on a Pebble steel or Apple Watch either.

who gives a shit, its a watch, i am unlikely to drop it since its strapped to my wrist

I couldn't repair my watch now, I dont even change the battery myself, I send it off to the manufacturer make sure it retains its waterproof rating

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Apple does this with other things.

The "uh its a watch" excuse is BS.

Linus made a video about upgrading a desktop mac , I cant remember the model.

And it was a mess of proprietary torque types , soldered parts and other things.

Apple doesnt it make it easy for people to repair or upgrade their products and its not just limited to watches.

This is nothing new.

Apple does this with other things.

The "uh its a watch" excuse is BS.

Linus made a video about upgrading a desktop mac , I cant remember the model.

And it was a mess of proprietary torque types , soldered parts and other things.

Apple doesnt it make it easy for people to repair or upgrade their products and its not just limited to watches.

This is nothing new.

You really like spouting bullshit, don't you?

The iMac is a "mess of proprietary torque types" (hint: Torx isn't proprietary, neither is a Pentalobe head though they are primarily used by Apple and drivers are available for relatively cheap. You can even find Torx screws on fucking cars for Christ's sake) because it's not made to be a big user-serviceable box that only requires hands and a Phillips screwdriver..Soldered parts aren't new either, I don't see you complaining about MSI's AIO or the host of laptops with non-serviceable parts.

The Apple Watch isn't more difficult to repair than most current market smartwatches. iFixIt rates Apple Watch 5/10, Moto 360 3/10 and Gear 2 8/10. It's about in the middle, and the ONLY PARTS that will ever really need replacing are the easiest to remove.

For the parts that will likely need replacing, it's not hard to repair most Apple devices. Go take a look at the display replacement on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. It's some of the simplest phone repair I've ever seen, and I own one of the most difficult/annoying devices to repair (HTC One M8.)

It's a watch, your idea that the excuse is bullshit is bullshit in itself. Apple's cramming a fair bit of tech into a small body, some things won't be easy. But how often do you see people replacing the mainboards in their phones, for example?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Making electronics that become obsolete after a few short years is nothing new to Apple

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/apple-watch-is-not-built-to-last/#ixzz3YiPKiZHP 

Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

isnt that the same for every electronics maker also nothing in the article suggest it has poor components and just bemoan that you cant replace things easily beyond the battery and screen which is true with basically every smartwatch or smartphone

Your shitposting is incredible. 

The iMac is an all in one. How many all in ones are that friendly? 

The Mac Pro is entirely upgradable and easy to access. The MacBook still have removable bottoms, you can still replace SSDs on your own if you want to though with soldered RAM (Apple isn't the only one to do this, btw) you can't change much else. 

The iPhones can have their batteries and screens replaced easily, just like all phones. 

Sigh. The shitposting is amazing. Did you all bitch this much over how unrepairable the G Watch R or 360 were? Did you? No, you didn't. Yet you all get raging boners over shitting on Apple. 

Shitposting lol.

Weak sauce knee jerk reaction as always.

HMBwpfx.png

2qQmh02.png

Soldered ram , glued battery , really weird non standard torx screws.

Like I said this type of behaviour is typical from apple .

Of course you are gonna call this shitposting because thats like 50% of your posts on this forum , calling other posts shitposting.

Its becoming old.

isnt that the same for every electronics maker 

Ironically Apple provides the longest support. How many Android devices from 4 years ago still work well under modern software? 

Yea. 

That answer is zero. 

You really like spouting bullshit, don't you?

The iMac is a "mess of proprietary torque types" (hint: Torx isn't proprietary, neither is a Pentalobe head though they are primarily used by Apple and drivers are available for relatively cheap. You can even find Torx screws on fucking cars for Christ's sake) because it's not made to be a big user-serviceable box that only requires hands and a Phillips screwdriver..Soldered parts aren't new either, I don't see you complaining about MSI's AIO or the host of laptops with non-serviceable parts.

The Apple Watch isn't more difficult to repair than most current market smartwatches. iFixIt rates Apple Watch 5/10, Moto 360 3/10 and Gear 2 8/10. It's about in the middle, and the ONLY PARTS that will ever really need replacing are the easiest to remove.

For the parts that will likely need replacing, it's not hard to repair most Apple devices. Go take a look at the display replacement on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. It's some of the simplest phone repair I've ever seen, and I own one of the most difficult/annoying devices to repair (HTC One M8.)

It's a watch, your idea that the excuse is bullshit is bullshit in itself. Apple's cramming a fair bit of tech into a small body, some things won't be easy. But how often do you see people replacing the mainboards in their phones, for example?

Using facts? Against Zappian? Bonafide facts that aren't clouded by bias? Just good old fashioned logic?  

He picks and choses and cherry picks so much its pathetic. Do these people get paid by the word to shit on Apple on every thread? Cause I'm starting to think that they do. 

@zappian, Torx screws are not proprietary. They've been a standard since 1967!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

I repeat - they are not proprietary - they are a standard screw bit, and as a IT tech or computer enthusiast, you should damn well have torx screw bits.

I personally use the ifixit pro toolkit that has a bajillion screw bits, including all common Torx sizes. You can find Torx Screw bits or screw drivers at your local hardware store for cheap, or on Amazon for even cheaper.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ironically Apple provides the longest support. How many Android devices from 4 years ago still work well under modern software? 

Yea. 

That answer is zero. 

I can confirm this. I have an ASUS TF-101 ORIGINAL Transformer tablet, that runs Android 3.x (Honey Comb), and it runs like utter shit. Using Skype or FB Messenger was like watching those late 90's pirated TV series (You know, the ones that were 30 MB - yes, Megabytes - per episode) that ran at like 5 FPS.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But will it bend? :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I can confirm this. I have an ASUS TF-101 ORIGINAL Transformer tablet, that runs Android 3.x (Honey Comb), and it runs like utter shit. Using Skype or FB Messenger was like watching those late 90's pirated TV series (You know, the ones that were 30 MB - yes, Megabytes - per episode) that ran at like 5 FPS.

Same, have that tablet, it was worthless after about 1-2 years really... and it wasnt cheap. 

Also, I wish so badly more people would use Torx....much better than other heads...

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Same, have that tablet, it was worthless after about 1-2 years really... and it wasnt cheap. 

Also, I wish so badly more people would use Torx....much better than other heads...

Torx is the...master race (cringe) of screws IMO. I love using them and I love seeing products built using them.

@zappian, Torx screws are not proprietary. They've been a standard since 1967!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

I repeat - they are not proprietary - they are a standard screw bit, and as a IT tech or computer enthusiast, you should damn well have torx screw bits.

I personally use the ifixit pro toolkit that has a bajillion screw bits, including all common Torx sizes. You can find Torx Screw bits or screw drivers at your local hardware store for cheap, or on Amazon for even cheaper.

Proprietary was the wrong word . They are just uncommon and rare as hell , at least were i live.

Whats wrong with the normal phillips screw .

bend not blend

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Shitposting lol.

Weak sauce knee jerk reaction as always.

-snip-

Soldered ram , glued battery , really weird non standard torx screws.

Like I said this type of behaviour is typical from apple .

Of course you are gonna call this shitposting because thats like 50% of your posts on this forum , calling other posts shitposting.

Its becoming old.

If you are not going to contribute to the discussion at hand without hurling childish insults at other people, then please leave.

He has provided a case for his argument, you have not done the same for your own. Your arguments here are incredibly vague and actually apply to just about every single piece of electronic that exists. So accusing Apple of doing something most other companies have already done for over two decades is a bit of a double-standard. 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Proprietary was the wrong word . They are just uncommon and rare as hell , at least were i live.

Whats wrong with the normal phillips screw .

Strength and precision - especially with a small screw. Torx are actually far superior screws for small precision screws. They don't strip nearly as easily. If they are uncommon where you live, then I strongly recommend that you purchase a Torx screwdriver or bit set online.

I recommend the ifixit Pro toolkit.

Just the screw driver and 54-bit set - $25 USD:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022-1

The whole kit - $65:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072-1

If you are not going to contribute to the discussion at hand without hurling childish insults at other people, then please leave.

What the heck are you talking about? Everyone else accuses him of shitposting, then you accuse him of hurling childish insults? Come on.

What the heck are you talking about? Everyone else accuses him of shitposting, then you accuse him of hurling childish insults? Come on.

The insults have been going both ways. Which is rather unfortunate. But he is not free from that, even if others were insulting him too.

I've said this many times before - if someone insults you, just report it to a mod and ignore the insult, and/or kindly ask them to stop. But that does not give you the right to insult them in "return". This isn't "Playground Rules" where revenge is justified.

Don't worry about it and let it be.

VS and his lackeys are full of piss and vinegar and will gang up on you any chance they get if you disagree with them or criticize them in any way, VS is a pro in twisting words and/or twisting reality. He also has a serious anger issue I assume, just look at his post history. Not that he cares. He is factually right a lot of the time, it doesn't make him a better person though.

You don't want to get involved in this.

Anyway, now they will gang up on me. :P I will take shelter.

Don't worry about it and let it be.

VS and his lackeys are full of piss and vinegar and will gang up on you any chance they get if you disagree with them or criticize them in any way, VS is a pro in twisting words and/or twisting reality. He also has a serious anger issue I assume, just look at his post history. Not that he cares. He is factually right a lot of the time, it doesn't make him a better person though.

You don't want to get involved in this.

Anyway, now they will gang up on me. :P I will take shelter.

You talk the way you do, willingly incite people, and then wonder why they "gang up on you". Did you ever consider that people just get tired of the shitposting around here? Theres only so much crap that most people can put up with before they either start blocking people or snapping back. And I prefer not to start blocking people but damn, you kids really don't know when to stop. 

Thanks for your armchair analysis of my anger. I'll be sure to put it right up my ass along with the rest of the expert advice that this place has on such issues. 

No one will gang up on you. They'll just call your bullshit for what it is. Don't get upset when people do, cause those "lackeys" certainly don't have trouble telling you how it is. 

Locked this thread. Unfortunately some of you felt it necessary to start insulting others and, as a result, most of this thread is unnecessary garbage. Whoop dee doo.

Free LTT Forums Protip:

Don't like someone's argument? Good on you! Go into discussion about their arguments with counter-arguments and reasoning.

Don't like someone? Tough luck. Go to your ignore settings and add them for all I care, but don't start arguing about them.

Think someone crossed the line? Superb, thanks for noticing! Please do ignore the offense and file a report. A mod will be on it ASAP.