Australia's 2nd biggest ISP wants Netflix to pay

blaze756

"Netflix has ignited the Internet neutrality debate in Australia, something that was previously not a major issue in the nation."

The 2nd biggest ISP in Australia "Optus" wants Netflix to pay for the influx of people streaming video and hammering their network. The problem is Australia is effectively the country with the worst internet for a 1st world country, but the government is (sort of) working on it so it'll be fixed in another 10 years or so.

OP: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/21/no_optus_dont_try_usstyle_net_neutrality_arguments_in_oz/

Maybe Telstra should take this and think...Wow, maybe our internet isn't good enough!

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Here we go with net neutrality. it's already big enough in america, but now it got so big, it spread to australia. damn.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Here we go with net neutrality. it's already big enough in america, but now it got so big, it spread to australia. damn.

Because Australia doesn't really exist..because it's not America....right?

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Because Australia doesn't really exist..because it's not America....right?

Precisely. 

I think netflix will fail in Australia, our infrastructure is not good enough to support it.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Well if you look at the usage of internet in Australia after Netflix got released the usage jumped 4x during peak hours hense this debate.

Telstra took 4 billion dollars of taxpayers money which was supposed to be for nation wide infrastructure upgrades, Telstra just made it 'disappear' with a very slight software upgrade that did nothing. So....they can go and jam this BS up their asses along with Optus. (Telstra and Optus are the Aussie version of Time Warner Cable and Comcast BTW).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think netflix will fail in Australia, our infrastructure is not good enough to support it.

Don't forget the Geo blocking enforced by content providers.

PMSL

You mean the company that is using Netflix to increase their sales (http://www.optus.com.au/shop/promotions/netflix-subscription-offer) and make more money, wants Netflix to give them more money?

The logic behind this is completely rooted. Let's hope it some kind of media stunt that is designed to highlight our complete lack of infrastructure to that collective group of idiots known as the federal government. 

You mean the company that is using Netflix to increase their sales (http://www.optus.com.au/shop/promotions/netflix-subscription-offer) and make more money, wants Netflix to give them more money?

The logic behind this is completely rooted. Let's hope it some kind of media stunt that is designed to highlight our complete lack of infrastructure to that collective group of idiots known as the federal government. 

That there is the sign of how stupid those in charge of Optus are.

PMSL

There are no positive aspects about this country. None at all.

I'm moving. Bye.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

There are no positive aspects about this country. None at all.

I'm moving. Bye.

America is worse, New Zealand is going the same was as Australia, the Poms have some laws that are a bit ehhh, so where would you go?

PMSL

This is funny because Optus have a deal with Netflix.. So new 24 months Optus subs are getting free Netflix.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/promotions/netflix-subscription-offer?SID=con:bb:Netflx:bb:tetris1:Netfix:v28

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

If they can hang around till 2020 so that NBN is finished I can see them starting to be successful...

I dont have netflix but if they dont already they should allow users to queue/pre-download shows before watching them. Especially for people with slower connection, they can plan their downloads ahead of time and watch when they want....!

America is worse, New Zealand is going the same was as Australia, the Poms have some laws that are a bit ehhh, so where would you go?

If I had a choice probably New Zealand. Apparently things such as tech and games aren't cheap over there but hey at least airsoft is legal and most places have fibre.

Maybe the UK, idk. It just seems like they want to ban everything fun here.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

If I had a choice probably New Zealand. Apparently things such as tech and games aren't cheap over there but hey at least airsoft is legal and most places have fibre.

Maybe the UK, idk. It just seems like they want to ban everything fun here.

I went over there a couple of years ago with my family, afterwards my dad never stopped complaining about his friends computers being on 24/7 and not using all of their data (he was on 15GB a month at the time, and went through it in 2 weeks).

PMSL

I went over there a couple of years ago with my family, afterwards my dad never stopped complaining about his friends computers being on 24/7 and not using all of their data (he was on 15GB a month at the time, and went through it in 2 weeks).

dayum.

I am on a 200GB plan with Telstra and I downloaded GTA V last week, still haven't gone over. That says alot.

dayum.

I am on a 200GB plan with Telstra and I downloaded GTA V last week, still haven't gone over. That says alot.

You downloaded GTAV in a single week?! Lucky...

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

You downloaded GTAV in a single week?! Lucky...

lol

18 hours actually

iinet FTW is all i can say

Its all about those volumetric clouds

dayum.

Telstra limits the street my parents live in to 2 broadband connections because of 'pair gain', the next street over has a shitload of unused connections. Long story short, they are in a 3G wifi only internet blackspot, and every Telstra staff member spoken with over the phone said that a '25 year old exchange is too new to upgrade, and ports can't be reassigned as the networks in your area were installed at different times', even though the network in the entire estate was installed at the same time. And come on, 25 years is too new? Back then the internet didn't really exist, or have many users. The fuckers are out for every single cent they can get. (They also increased their wifi prepaid plan from $180/12GB to $200/12GB, when Optus has 15GB/$130, which is the same cost as Telstra's 8GB plan-coverage with Optus sucks though).

PMSL

"Netflix has ignited the Internet neutrality debate in Australia, something that was previously not a major issue in the nation."

The 2nd biggest ISP in Australia "Optus" wants Netflix to pay for the influx of people streaming video and hammering their network. The problem is Australia is effectively the country with the worst internet for a 1st world country, but the government is sort of working on it.

OP: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/21/no_optus_dont_try_usstyle_net_neutrality_arguments_in_oz/

I'm guessing this has more to do with optus wanting to block netflix out of the australian market since there trying to introduce presto and stan.

Australia is a monopoly market where company's can make alot of money - just look at cocaine

Its all about those volumetric clouds