Latest Apple Watch estimates: 3M sales, $2B revenue, Apple’s most profitable product ever

I would say that's a dangerous opinion to throw around. No matter how correct you are, and in this case you're spot on, it's unpopular for those who oppose.

I have to question why everyone is disgracing the Watch simply because it's popular. You buy a car because why? It's popular, because it's a good car. What's the difference here? Nobody here except @eunique has provided any reasoning why they don't like the Watch. It's always been "well it's Apple, I don't like Apple." Congratulations for having an opinion. I don't like apple pie, but I could give you a reason for it.

You have to get used to this on LTT. Be reasonable, be angry; doesn't matter. The same shitposts always crop up from the same group of users. Notice that the aforementioned posts are now removed and said users probably told to cut it out, yet no one ever really seems to learn. 

You can only make the point so many ways before you realize that people are being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse, they have no care to actually discuss things in a logical manner. 

I would say that's a dangerous opinion to throw around. No matter how correct you are, and in this case you're spot on, it's unpopular for those who oppose.

I have to question why everyone is disgracing the Watch simply because it's popular. You buy a car because why? It's popular, because it's a good car. What's the difference here? Nobody here except @eunique has provided any reasoning why they don't like the Watch. It's always been "well it's Apple, I don't like Apple." Congratulations for having an opinion. I don't like apple pie, but I could give you a reason for it.

1. Walled Gardens that can't even keep up with recent technology (lack of MicroSD cards as an example)

2. Terrible business practices (not that other companies don't have them, just that they do)

3. Personally I think the watch is ugly.

4. Personally I think its a gimmick and don't plan on buying any smart watch, ever.

5. Another personal opinion, one of the most cognitively dissonant fanboy bases in the modern world, worse then the GabeN crowd, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel fanboys combined

6. Almost always overpriced. "for the design" which isn't even that good considering apple goes out of their way to ensure you (usually) can't upgrade or fix things, because: walled gardens.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's not a "dangerous opinion" as long as you aren't arrogant and belittling when you state it.

Here is the same opinion but presented in a nicer way:

The point is the same but I don't think even "apple haters" would disagree or get mad at it.

Here are a few reasons I don't like it:

1) It's expensive for what it does. Functionality wise it doesn't really offer that much over the Pebble, which is 1/3 the price.

2) The screen is not always on. If I wear a watch then I expect it to at least show the time when I look at it. If I have to do a gesture or press a button I might as well just pick up my phone... which brings me to...

3) It doesn't offer any compelling extra functionality. I can already very easily see messages and the time on my phone even when it's in my pocket. Everything shows up on the top so all I have to do is pull it up so the top part of the screen is sticking out of my pocket, press the power button and voila! All of a sudden I got 90% of the functionality of a smartwatch without paying a dime, or have to keep track of an extra battery.

4) Terrible battery life. I already have to charge my phone, tablet, laptop and possibly some other device I carry with me (camera, battery bank or whatever). A traditional watch can be over 1000 times better in terms of battery life, and they show the time all the time without any gestures. I just can't take a smartwatch seriously before it gets at least 1 week of battery life. 1 day is absolutely pathetic. Even 2 days WITH the screen on at all time would be really really bad in my eyes.

5) The bands are expensive as balls. Want a metal band because the band on the sport edition looks like something Fisher Price designed? That will be an extra 150 dollars (or 450 extra if you want the only other metal band they got). Third party bands are so far non-existing as well because in the traditional Apple fashion they don't use standard bands like basically all other watches use. Gotta reinvent the wheel just for the sake of being different!

6) Not water resistant. Yes I have heard that it is but there is no guarantee. If you wash your hands after going to the bathroom and some water enters then Apple will probably tell you to fuck off (and by fuck off I mean "pay us money to fix it or fuck off"). It's not certified so for all we know it might be "water proof" in the same way the S6 apparently is "water proof" (as in, there like a ~10% chance it can survive in water without anything breaking. For the love of God don't drop it into water.).

Yes it could be said in a nicer way, but it does it the point across quite bluntly.

1. A Pebble doesn't function entirely well with the Apple ecosystem. This is a product for people within the Apple ecosystem that want similar functionality out of a similar product like the Pebble. I prefer it this way too because the Android side of things aren't as cleaned up as they are for Apple. There is a higher quality with usability when you have an Apple product.

2. I would prefer the screen to not be on in the first place. A well done gesture system that doesn't need to be the exact same movement all the time would work well. You're not going to be staring at the watch all the time, only when you move it to point at your face. This also saves battery life.

3. If you think pulling your phone out of your pocket is easier than glancing at a watch, you are sorely mistaken. I have a watch simply because I am tired of pulling my phone out of my pocket to check the time. And I don't know about you, but traditionally a watch is removed before sleeping, so why would it be any different here? When you take your watch off for the night just set it to charge. It's a habit you get in to normally after time but get burned if you miss a night of charging.

4. I agree the battery life is bad, but all you truly need is a day's worth of it. I won't say it shouldn't be better, but I would only con the Watch if it was under a day.

5. Tell me, how often does someone change watch bands? I've done it once when the original wore out too much. I agree they should use standard sizing so I could use one I prefer over an Apple band, but I won't cry about it. The ones they offer a good enough variety for most people in the first place. I would also like to assume that the reason they use non-standard sizing is because of the design of the watch, which was more important than band sizing.

6. It should be confirmed to be water resistant, but if you're diving in to a pool with a $450 piece of tech strapped to your wrist, that's your problem and not mine. But washing your hands, it should be able to survive that quite well. If you could point to some sources that say it does or does not survive that I'll be more than happy to read it.

You have to get used to this on LTT. Be reasonable, be angry; doesn't matter. The same shitposts always crop up from the same group of users. Notice that the aforementioned posts are now removed and said users probably told to cut it out, yet no one ever really seems to learn. 

You can only make the point so many ways before you realize that people are being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse, they have no care to actually discuss things in a logical manner. 

Seems that way in every group of people. How it's handled here is interesting, plainly.

1. Walled Gardens that can't even keep up with recent technology (lack of MicroSD cards as an example)

2. Terrible business practices (not that other companies don't have them, just that they do)

3. Personally I think the watch is ugly.

4. Personally I think its a gimmick and don't plan on buying any smart watch, ever.

5. Another personal opinion, one of the most cognitively dissonant fanboy bases in the modern world, worse then the GabeN crowd, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel fanboys combined

6. Almost always overpriced. "for the design" which isn't even that good considering apple goes out of their way to ensure you (usually) can't upgrade or fix things, because: walled gardens.

Another of these? Oh boy. :)

1. I prefer a walled garden in most cases, it creates quality control. Also, show me where you can stick a MicroSD card so that it doesn't have the chance of popping out and you loosing it, and does not conflict with the internals of the watch.

2. Name them.

3. That's your opinion.

4. That's also your opinion.

5. Again, that's your opinion. Why would I buy this? Because it's a good product. Do I care about the other people that buy the same product as me? No, I do not.

6. This does more than a Cartier watch, which is much more expensive. To be honest with you, the Watch is a good value.

Always trying to find reason.

Yes it could be said in a nicer way, but it does it the point across quite bluntly.

1. A Pebble doesn't function entirely well with the Apple ecosystem. This is a product for people within the Apple ecosystem that want similar functionality out of a similar product like the Pebble. I prefer it this way too because the Android side of things aren't as cleaned up as they are for Apple. There is a higher quality with usability when you have an Apple product.

2. I would prefer the screen to not be on in the first place. A well done gesture system that doesn't need to be the exact same movement all the time would work well. You're not going to be staring at the watch all the time, only when you move it to point at your face. This also saves battery life.

3. If you think pulling your phone out of your pocket is easier than glancing at a watch, you are sorely mistaken. I have a watch simply because I am tired of pulling my phone out of my pocket to check the time. And I don't know about you, but traditionally a watch is removed before sleeping, so why would it be any different here? When you take your watch off for the night just set it to charge. It's a habit you get in to normally after time but get burned if you miss a night of charging.

4. I agree the battery life is bad, but all you truly need is a day's worth of it. I won't say it shouldn't be better, but I would only con the Watch if it was under a day.

5. Tell me, how often does someone change watch bands? I've done it once when the original wore out too much. I agree they should use standard sizing so I could use one I prefer over an Apple band, but I won't cry about it. The ones they offer a good enough variety for most people in the first place. I would also like to assume that the reason they use non-standard sizing is because of the design of the watch, which was more important than band sizing.

6. It should be confirmed to be water resistant, but if you're diving in to a pool with a $450 piece of tech strapped to your wrist, that's your problem and not mine. But washing your hands, it should be able to survive that quite well. If you could point to some sources that say it does or does not survive that I'll be more than happy to read it.

Seems that way in every group of people. How it's handled here is interesting, plainly.

Another of these? Oh boy. :)

1. I prefer a walled garden in most cases, it creates quality control. Also, show me where you can stick a MicroSD card so that it doesn't have the chance of popping out and you loosing it, and does not conflict with the internals of the watch.

2. Name them.

3. That's your opinion.

4. That's also your opinion.

5. Again, that's your opinion. Why would I buy this? Because it's a good product. Do I care about the other people that buy the same product as me? No, I do not.

6. This does more than a Cartier watch, which is much more expensive. To be honest with you, the Watch is a good value.

1. It doesn't, it creates a lack of options, and B. in the micro SD slot just above my battery on my Nokia 822. Takes me literally two seconds to pull the batter cover off, but you might not know what a battery cover is since your phone is a walled garden and the idea of you being able to quickly and economically change your battery out is heresy. Also, since when do microSD cards fall out? I've never experienced that on any phone I've ever had that came with a side microSD slot, and I treat my phones like shit.

2. child labor, horrible working conditions (for anyone who works there, not just the underage children or underpaid under protected workers in asia, conditions so severe they installed anti-suicide netting around the building. (I did say they are NOT, by any means, the only company to have this kind of record. That's why almost everything is made in asia these days.)

3. true

4. true

5. true.

6. Don't care, I want a watch to tell time.....except my phone already does that, modern watches and this watch serve no purpose, how much effort does it take to pull your phone out of the holster on your belt? about as much as raising this watch to your face. It's a gimmick, nothing more.

But by all means, continue overpaying for underperforming and poorly designed hardware (poorly designed as far as length of life is concerned. Something a user can repair on their own by changing the battery will outlive your phone no matter what). Why? Cuz it's got that apple logo, the only reason people buy apple products.

Also, they've never actually invented anything.

1. It doesn't, it creates a lack of options, and B. in the micro SD slot just above my battery on my Nokia 822. Takes me literally two seconds to pull the batter cover off, but you might not know what a battery cover is since your phone is a walled garden and the idea of you being able to quickly and economically change your battery out is heresy. Also, since when do microSD cards fall out? I've never experienced that on any phone I've ever had that came with a side microSD slot, and I treat my phones like shit.

2. child labor, horrible working conditions (for anyone who works there, not just the underage children or underpaid under protected workers in asia, conditions so severe they installed anti-suicide netting around the building. (I did say they are NOT, by any means, the only company to have this kind of record. That's why almost everything is made in asia these days.)

3. true

4. true

5. true.

6. Don't care, I want a watch to tell time.....except my phone already does that, modern watches and this watch serve no purpose, how much effort does it take to pull your phone out of the holster on your belt? about as much as raising this watch to your face. It's a gimmick, nothing more.

You can only deal with so many options before they become redundant. So your point is slightly moot. And I'm sure you've seen the inside of the Watch, there isn't space to put a MicroSD slot inside of it.

Also, I'm not going to go through the effort of taking my phone out of my pocket when I can just twist my arm slightly. Why go through the added effort for the same result? I know I'm not going to, and it's the same with a lot of other people because watches of all prices still sell.

6. Don't care, I want ... 

Ever think about the fact that not everyone thinks like you? Not everyone has the same ideals as you... You don't like Apple products in general for whatever reason you've come up with this month? Fine, not everyone feels the same way, and just because you don't like Apple products doesn't mean they're overpriced or crap. So take that elitist-holier-than-though opinion and shove it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You can only deal with so many options before they become redundant. So your point is slightly moot. And I'm sure you've seen the inside of the Watch, there isn't space to put a MicroSD slot inside of it.

Also, I'm not going to go through the effort of taking my phone out of my pocket when I can just twist my arm slightly. Why go through the added effort for the same result? I know I'm not going to, and it's the same with a lot of other people because watches of all prices still sell.

If that's what you call effort, I weep for modern society. And the SD card thing, I'm more focusing on the phone with that. The only real reason they don't have it is that apple hasn't found a way to be the sole provider of the SD cards that would obviously have to be sold separately. I've never heard of ANYONE having a problem with their micro SD cards falling out. and I use to throw my voyager around when I got angry, and the little rubber thingy that covered the microSD card fell off about half way through the life of the phone

Ever think about the fact that not everyone thinks like you? Not everyone has the same ideals as you... You don't like Apple products in general for whatever reason you've come up with this month? Fine, not everyone feels the same way, and just because you don't like Apple products doesn't mean they're overpriced or crap. So take that elitist-holier-than-though opinion and shove it. 

True enough. I've just never seen a legitimate argument for them. There's more software available for both Linux and Windows, and price to performance, you get better performance by building your own rig. The only real thing apple has going for it is the style of the design, which is a subjective thing in and of itself. (example, I think their style is boring. Some call it "minimalist", I call it boring.)

If that's what you call effort, I weep for modern society. And the SD card thing, I'm more focusing on the phone with that. The only real reason they don't have it is that apple hasn't found a way to be the sole provider of the SD cards that would obviously have to be sold separately. I've never heard of ANYONE having a problem with their micro SD cards falling out. and I use to throw my voyager around when I got angry, and the little rubber thingy that covered the microSD card fell off about half way through the life of the phone

True enough. I've just never seen a legitimate argument for them. There's more software available for both Linux and Windows, and price to performance, you get better performance by building your own rig. The only real thing apple has going for it is the style of the design, which is a subjective thing in and of itself. (example, I think their style is boring. Some call it "minimalist", I call it boring.)

Well, comparing a custom rig to a pre-built isn't exactly fair, and comparing one to a laptop is even more irrelevant. Whether or not you like OSX comes down to personal taste, I personally like OSX -- although for 99% of the things I do, it's the same as Windows (putting aside a few slight interface differences). Looking at the price-side of things, the last time I checked MBP's aren't particularly more expensive than non-Apple alternatives with 8 hour+ battery life, PCIE SSD, >1080p display, thin form factor, a good trackpad (which is still missing on many laptops these days -- and I would still put the Apple trackpad above every other that I've ever seen), and full aluminum construction. Whether or not those features are important to the individual is highly dependent on the individual. But to call it overpriced is shortsighted since they're priced fairly competitively once all the features are taken into account. Now, this obviously isn't true for all Apple products -- but it is certainly true for many. And one thing that people rarely consider...try selling your brand new Dell in three years from now; it's going to have depreciated to a tiny fraction of what you initially paid. Compare that to a MBP (and the same is true for iPhones) which maintain their value incredibly well. So in the long run, many Apple products end up becoming cheaper than their counterparts. 

But anyway, not everything is for everyone. A lot of people hate OSX/iOS while many others love it, and the same can be said up their designs. Some people would prefer to pay more upfront knowing that they'll be able to sell it when it's time for an upgrade, while others would simply prefer to pay as little as possible and not have to even worry about going through the hassle of selling it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I've just never seen a legitimate argument for them.

Well of course not, You probably haven't seen a legitimate argument that'd make you want to buy sewing machine either.  Because some products just aren't relevant to your particular needs/mindset.   I wouldn't buy any prebuilt pc, doesn't mean they are all overpriced shit, it just means prebuilt computers are not for me and as such don't come with software for my type.     Apple are hardly going to waste their time designing systems and software for 15% of the market place when there is a bigger market out there to capitalise on.  Therefore they are not going to be relevant to you.  

Lots of people seem to have missed the memo,  All DIY, whitebox, shop built and custom order PCs make up less than 20% of the market place. Given that majority of those white box computers are made and used in china this means we enthusiasts make up less than 10% of the computer buying/building market place.  The reason apple is not relevant to you is because you are the minority, not because people are stupid.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Time is money, and I'm not going to waste my time on something.

You should know that everything is possible, if you catch the card on something and it pushes in enough to pop it back out you're going to have a pretty bad time looking for it.

Time is money, and I'm not going to waste my time on something.

You should know that everything is possible, if you catch the card on something and it pushes in enough to pop it back out you're going to have a pretty bad time looking for it.

That's such an unlikely scenario, that its completely obvious you are just fishing for a reason to defend apple by now. Which has always been the position of apple fanboys in the microSD argument.

In a side mounted microSD card setup, it's hard enough to get it out with my fingernail, the idea of catching it on something? hilariously ridiculous.

That's such an unlikely scenario, that its completely obvious you are just fishing for a reason to defend apple by now. Which has always been the position of apple fanboys in the microSD argument.

In a side mounted microSD card setup, it's hard enough to get it out with my fingernail, the idea of catching it on something? hilariously ridiculous.

First, I'd like to make it very clear I am not an Apple fanboy, I'm an intelligent person that sees the worth in design philosophy and products. Second, if you've never had any kind of sd card pop out because it's caught on something you do not go out with one often.

First, I'd like to make it very clear I am not an Apple fanboy, I'm an intelligent person that sees the worth in design philosophy and products. Second, if you've never had any kind of sd card pop out because it's caught on something you do not go out with one often.

I've never heard of anyone having an SD card pop out in any situation. Seriously, if you have trouble keeping a microSD card in its slot, you're doing something wrong.

Seriously, just stop fishing. At this point you're throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

I've never heard of anyone having an SD card pop out in any situation. Seriously, if you have trouble keeping a microSD card in its slot, you're doing something wrong.

Seriously, just stop fishing. At this point you're throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

If you say so, I'm sorry you refuse to see any light.

I've never heard of ANYONE having a problem with their micro SD cards falling out.

This has actually happened to me a few times with my Galaxy Note10.1. And re-inserting it is not all that fun on that device.

So from now on, I'll most likely buy phones and tablets with all high internal storage

Wait, so you aren't talking about localised induction eg a lightning strike, but instead you're justifying spending tens of thousands on a Rolex because it is more likely to work in the event of Nuclear Holocaust!? I'll risk the £5, thanks.

Wow you understood nothing

That you think that $10000 Rolex are the only watches with a mechanical clockwork is funny. Emp=Nuclear Holocaust is funny too.

This has actually happened to me a few times with my Galaxy Note10.1. And re-inserting it is not all that fun on that device.

So from now on, I'll most likely buy phones and tablets with all high internal storage

And here I was.. thinking I was the only one..

I've been dealing with SD cards for a long time, they've been pushed against something and popped out more times than I can remember. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and it's quite irritating.

Because Apple are masters of marketing, period. 

when everybody is talking about your prodcuts, you don't need a lot of marketing anymore ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Also, they've never actually invented anything.

teksyndicate are idiots. I have no idea why someone would watch their shit ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

And here I was.. thinking I was the only one..

I've been dealing with SD cards for a long time, they've been pushed against something and popped out more times than I can remember. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and it's quite irritating.

And as I mentioned in another thread, there is also some apps that outright refuses to work with SD cards so it's not always possible to use the space on a MicroSD card anyway

I am sorry, but that is extremely flawed logic. Just because you haven't heard of something, it does not mean that it does not exist. In other words, the absence of evidence never equals the evidence of absence. What he is saying is indeed a logistical probability; MicroSD cards take very little force towards the side slot for it to pop out, and the single latch that holds the card in place is not immune to failure or fault. Also, do not throw half-witted accusations like that. Like I told the last person, read my signature. You are not a herald of technology; stop pretending to be one.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

And as I mentioned in another thread, there is also some apps that outright refuses to work with SD cards so it's not always possible to use the space on a MicroSD card anyway

I'm sure there's some kind of argument of how that's a lie, or you're the only person that's encountered that. -_-

I am sorry, but that is extremely flawed logic. Just because you haven't heard of something, it does not mean that it does not exist. In other words, the absence of evidence never equals the evidence of absence. What he is saying is indeed a logistical probability; MicroSD cards take very little force towards the side slot for it to pop out, and the single latch that holds the card in place is not immune to failure or fault. Also, do not throw half-witted accusations like that. Like I told the last person, read my signature. You are not a herald of technology; stop pretending to be one.

Thank you for the support, it's irritating to have your opinion torn to bits because someone refuses to understand the experiences of others.

Not water resistant,

Seems fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Seems fine

<video>

You should have read the rest of the post:

"It's not certified so for all we know it might be "water proof" in the same way the S6 apparently is "water proof" (as in, there like a ~10% chance it can survive in water without anything breaking. For the love of God don't drop it into water.)."

You should have read the rest of the post:

"It's not certified so for all we know it might be "water proof" in the same way the S6 apparently is "water proof" (as in, there like a ~10% chance it can survive in water without anything breaking. For the love of God don't drop it into water.)."

it might be, we just dont know if there is, or isnt an official rating - apple have said its splashproof many times, even tim cook said he showered with it, it might just not have an "official IP" rating - maybe apple tested it to their own standards.. hard to say

Also sorry, you cannot unwatch the cnet guy naked in the shower, lord knows I want to unsee it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii